Pre-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
As a general rule that is true, but when comparing players at different positions - D versus Forward - it is harder to say who is truly "BPA". Is it a minute eating defenseman like Ristolainen? Or a potential sniper like Erne or Rychel? I have no problem taking BPA but with a leaning towards offensive forwards because that is what is missing from our team AND our prospect system. And unless we make an effort to rectifying that - including through the draft - it isn't going to *magically* be better in 2-3 years. Given the age of our D plus the emergence of Tanev and Corrado, I feel it would be better to pick up a forward this year, unless an obvious stud D is there at our spot ...

Our forward prospect pool includes Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, and Gaunce as all likely NHLers.

Our defense prospect pool consists of Corrado in terms of likely NHLers

Not to mention we lack big, physical shut down defensemen anywhere in our system. If Ristolainen were available and we didn't take him, I'd be calling for Gillis' head. He has all the tools to become a Pronger-lite. It's a lot easier to acquire forwards in UFA or by trade than it is to acquire a (potential)#1 dman.

Also, as an aside, I wouldn't really call Erne a sniper. He generates offense by driving towards the net and making power moves.

Alflives*

Not to mention we lack big, physical shut down defensemen anywhere in our system. If Ristolainen were available and we didn't take him, I'd be calling for Gillis' head. He has all the tools to become a Pronger-lite. It's a lot easier to acquire forwards in UFA or by trade than it is to acquire a (potential)#1 dman.

Could you elaborate on Ristolainen? Where does he play? Is he minute eater?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Could you elaborate on Ristolainen? Where does he play? Is he minute eater?

He's basically good at everything. Has great skating and offensive skills, but is also very smart in his own zone as well as being physical and occasionally exhibits a bit of a mean streak. I don't think there's any way he makes it to us, though. Imo he's the 2nd best defenseman in the draft.

He's just so good at being able to read the play and make the right decisions.

Last edited:

Alflives*

He's basically good at everything. Has great skating and offensive skills, but is also very smart in his own zone as well as being physical and occasionally exhibits a bit of a mean streak. I don't think there's any way he makes it to us, though. Imo he's the 2nd best defenseman in the draft.

He sounds like an excellent prospect. The Canucks have Tanev and Corrado as young guys, who look to be solid top 6 talent, maybe even top 4 in support roles. It would be nice, though, to have a guy that could become that #1 guy, who the Canucks have never had.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Our forward prospect pool includes Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, and Gaunce as all likely NHLers.

Also, as an aside, I wouldn't really call Erne a sniper. He generates offense by driving towards the net and making power moves.

Fair points. I wouldn't be averse to Ristolainen either, just that I would put a preference on a forward over a D, assuming they were rated closely. While we *only* have Corrado as a projected NHLer, Tanev is still very young while rest of our D is still relatively young (30 or less).

At forward we have 3 core players nearing their mid-30s and Kelser nearing 30 as well. While we have a few kids, none project to be big scorers or are sure things to even develop into top 6 players. Maybe that won't change with the 23rd pick but if two players dropped - say Ristolainen and Shinkaruk - I'd prefer we take the forward over the D.

Alflives*

Fair points. I wouldn't be averse to Ristolainen either, just that I would put a preference on a forward over a D, assuming they were rated closely. While we *only* have Corrado as a projected NHLer, Tanev is still very young while rest of our D is still relatively young (30 or less).

At forward we have 3 core players nearing their mid-30s and Kelser nearing 30 as well. While we have a few kids, none project to be big scorers or are sure things to even develop into top 6 players. Maybe that won't change with the 23rd pick but if two players dropped - say Ristolainen and Shinkaruk - I'd prefer we take the forward over the D.

How about trading up (Edler) to acquire a potential top center? Druin or Domi look to be potential #1 or #2 guys.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How about trading up (Edler) to acquire a potential top center? Druin or Domi look to be potential #1 or #2 guys.

I have no problems trading Edler - I've posted many times that I think he is the key to this "reset" but it also has to be for fair value. In my mind fair is the #3-5 pick in the draft, give or take. So Drouin, Barkov, Monahan are the only draft players I would consider moving Edler for. Guys like Domi, Lazar, Shinkaruk aren't fair value unless we get another piece back IMO ...

Alflives*

I have no problems trading Edler - I've posted many times that I think he is the key to this "reset" but it also has to be for fair value. In my mind fair is the #3-5 pick in the draft, give or take. So Drouin, Barkov, Monahan are the only draft players I would consider moving Edler for. Guys like Domi, Lazar, Shinkaruk aren't fair value unless we get another piece back IMO ...

Would you 'reset' the Canuck's core by also trading Schneider and keep Luongo?

What could Schneider return? This is an excellent draft, similar to the Kelser year.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Drafting based on need alone is never a good idea.

Maybe, but I think the “I’m taking the BPA all the way†mantra that all GMs echo come draft day is hot air more often than we think. Three reasons:

--They don’t want to tip their hand to other clubs as who knows what BPA means to someone else

--They all project 2-4 years ahead and some needs are more blatantly obvious than others and it be poor management not to act

--FA pool gets poorer buy the year and everybody makes supreme effort to hold to whom they want to keep

In our case, we can add that trading youth for established players is risky as it often implies your pro scouting staff knows something about the guy that the parting organization doesn’t.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I agree with this. Domi, Lazar, Shinkaruk are great prospects but they aren't sure things. Drouin, Barkov and Monahan are elite prospects.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'd rather draft based on upside, especially in the later rounds. Sven Andrighetto, Jordan Subban, or Peter Cehlarik would be my targets with our third.

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
I'd rather draft based on upside, especially in the later rounds. Sven Andrighetto, Jordan Subban, or Peter Cehlarik would be my targets with our third.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Andrighetto is available by the time we pick in the 3rd. Subban as well, to a lesser extent. I think they both go before we pick though.

Cehlarik looks interesting, from a purely stat scouting perspective. Can you tell us more about him?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Would you 'reset' the Canuck's core by also trading Schneider and keep Luongo?

What could Schneider return? This is an excellent draft, similar to the Kelser year.

That is a tougher one, but yes I would at least consider it if the value is there. Though realistically I don't think Gillis is looking to trade CS but if Philly called up and was willing to move Couturier and the #11 that would be hard to turn down ...

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
That is a tougher one, but yes I would at least consider it if the value is there. Though realistically I don't think Gillis is looking to trade CS but if Philly called up and was willing to move Couturier and the #11 that would be hard to turn down ...

Trade CS for SC+ 11th ovr pick!

GET IT DONE GILLIS!

Knowing Philadelphia though, they'll probably rely on Steve Mason next season.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'd be pleasantly surprised if Andrighetto is available by the time we pick in the 3rd. Subban as well, to a lesser extent. I think they both go before we pick though.

Cehlarik looks interesting, from a purely stat scouting perspective. Can you tell us more about him?

Unfortunately I don't know much about him, other than that in his brief stint in the SEL this year he's been amazing, despite only playing ~10 minutes per night. I too would like to know more about him, but not many people have scouted him much, which is likely why he'll fall into the later rounds.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Unfortunately I don't know much about him, other than that in his brief stint in the SEL this year he's been amazing, despite only playing ~10 minutes per night. I too would like to know more about him, but not many people have scouted him much, which is likely why he'll fall into the later rounds.

Cehlarik is an example of the next generation of Slovak hockey. Him and Marko Dano, along with players such as Peter Ceresnak, Tomas Mikus, Tomas Jurco, Marek Tvrdon, and Martin Marincin, they really have established themselves as a good hockey country.

Good for them

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Trade CS for SC+ 11th ovr pick!

GET IT DONE GILLIS!

Knowing Philadelphia though, they'll probably rely on Steve Mason next season.

If it wouldn't be an abomination in the eyes of gods and men, I would have this trade proposal's babies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Cehlarik is an example of the next generation of Slovak hockey. Him and Marko Dano, along with players such as Peter Ceresnak, Tomas Mikus, Tomas Jurco, Marek Tvrdon, and Martin Marincin, they really have established themselves as a good hockey country.

Good for them

Remember Martin Rasko (I think that was his name) from the WJC a few years ago? Just jacking up fools left and right. I really was hoping someone would give him a shot over here.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
No that's not him. Doing some googling now, harder to find than I thought. I remember he rocked Taylor Hall once, was hoping to find a youtube of it.

edit: Peter Hrasko!

Having himself a pretty decent year in the KHL, may be an NHL 3rd-4th liner energy-type guy, like Leo Komarov (who may be going back to Russia)

VanMelaner14

Tan the Man
Jun 16, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

What about taking Dillon Heatherington with our first round pick? Big shut-down dman, good positioning and is physical. He also has an excellent outlet pass.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
What about taking Dillon Heatherington with our first round pick? Big shut-down dman, good positioning and is physical. He also has an excellent outlet pass.

I like Heatherington but 23 or 24th overall is way too high for him. There are way too many players that I feel have more upside than him (Dmen especially). If we had a 2nd, I'd be more than happy with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad