Pre-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Lazar, Shinkaruk and Horvat are guys I would gladly move up a couple of spots to pick if they were available. Lazar and Horvat are more complete, all around players but Shinkaruk is a pure sniper - something you could only say of Daniel on our current roster.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Sometimes I come away from games thinking he's not as fast as he's touted to be. His acceleration and agility are very good. Top end speed, hard to read for me.

I'd take him over Mantha and Rychel, Petan I'm unsure. I like Petan's high skill level, where as I think Klimhuk will be too reliant on just skating and will to get by.
Hmmm... I don't know. Difference of opinion i guess. I find his speed as one of the first things I notice, especially when he comes in from neutral ice to forecheck. He's no Grabner but his speed is pretty above average, IMO.

I don't agree that he is too reliant on skating and will. What does that mean? And isn't that a good thing when you couple it with his hockey sense? He is not as skilled as Petan but he isn't devoid of skill either. IMO, I would not hesitate in choosing Klimchuk over Petan.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Why is consistency/effort more of a disadvantage than size?

Petan and Mantha are both highly skilled. There are players who struggled with consistency(Marleau, Vanek) and there are players that have struggled with size(MSL, Roy). There are also types of both players that have flamed out. What makes one flaw better than another?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hmmm... I don't know. Difference of opinion i guess. I find his speed as one of the first things I notice, especially when he comes in from neutral ice to forecheck. He's no Grabner but his speed is pretty above average, IMO.

I don't agree that he is too reliant on skating and will. What does that mean? And isn't that a good thing when you couple it with his hockey sense? He is not as skilled as Petan but he isn't devoid of skill either. IMO, I would not hesitate in choosing Klimchuk over Petan.

Admittedly, I have a harder time judging speed vs. weaker competition. I still question Schroeders speed prior to this year so... Overall, I still see him as a good enough skater that it may not be the issue.

He's not devoid of skill, but I think he will be a player that relies more on speed than his skill to create offense in higher leagues. Petan should still be one of the more skilled players on the ice in higher leagues, so I feel more comfortable projecting him as a skilled guy there, than I do Klimhuk. For me, it's debatable who I would take.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Lazar, Shinkaruk and Horvat are guys I would gladly move up a couple of spots to pick if they were available. Lazar and Horvat are more complete, all around players but Shinkaruk is a pure sniper - something you could only say of Daniel on our current roster.

Shinkaruk would be the best thing to happen to this franchise in years. If he started slipping past 12 or so, I hope Gillis would be on the phone trying to move heaven and earth to get up there to get him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Good summary, but one question.

Although you dont think it is a problem, how would skating an issue sometimes? Just wondering because i think he is a very good skater in agility, acceleration and top end speed. I think it's probably one of his greatest strengths. He never stops moving his feet especially in the offensive zone, always trying to get open for a one timer or to receive a pass. Also makes him good on the forecheck. Caused several turnovers at the U18 because of his pressure on the puck.

My take is pretty similar; he is a smart player at both ends of the ice. Knows to be in position and provide support as a winger. Plays bigger than his size would lead you to believe. He is not afraid to play the body on the forecheck or along the boards. Also has thrown some nice open ice hits. He has an above average shot, has the ability to score from the tops of the circle with a slap shot or wrister. But also can crash the net for some ugly goals. Okay passing vision. Not too many weaknesses in my eyes, especially when you add his attitude on top of what he brings on the ice. He is a very determined individual.

I'd take him over Mantha, Rychel and Petan.

Nice add, appreciate it. While I'm always leering of asking for NHL comparisons, is there anyone that Klimchuk plays like *stylistically* that you can think of?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Nice add, appreciate it. While I'm always leering of asking for NHL comparisons, is there anyone that Klimchuk plays like *stylistically* that you can think of?
I am probably as terrible at these things as you are leery of them! I heard Patrick Sharp, albeit a slightly smaller one. I didn't feel too against that one.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I am probably as terrible at these things as you are leery of them! I heard Patrick Sharp, albeit a slightly smaller one. I didn't feel too against that one.

He would have to keep working on his skills and vision a ton. Sharp really developed in that regard AFTER he turned 22/23 years old. As it stands, I could see him as Patrick Sharp-lite.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
He would have to keep working on his skills and vision a ton. Sharp really developed in that regard AFTER he turned 22/23 years old. As it stands, I could see him as Patrick Sharp-lite.
Well Canafan asked stylistically not potential or career based. I think style wise, it's not a bad comparison.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Any thoughts on Bogdan Yakimov? His name sticks out to me for some reason. I like his size but don't know much about him (don't think I do at least).

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Any thoughts on Bogdan Yakimov? His name sticks out to me for some reason. I like his size but don't know much about him (don't think I do at least).

Lacks foot speed and high end skill. Could probably be a solid 2-3 C if he ever decides to cross the pond. Personally I think if we're taking a risk I'd want the upside to be higher, so maybe draft Slepyshev instead.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
The best sniper in the draft is said to be Mantha by many scouts. We need goals get this guy! (if he drops).

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If Gillis decides to finally jump back into western Canada for a selection or two next month I would be overjoyed with Klimchuk. I think he's one of the best pure snipers in the draft. Shinkaruk would be amazing but I don't see him falling out of the top 15 and we've historically never been a team that aggressively moves up the draft board.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
If Gillis decides to finally jump back into western Canada for a selection or two next month I would be overjoyed with Klimchuk. I think he's one of the best pure snipers in the draft. Shinkaruk would be amazing but I don't see him falling out of the top 15 and we've historically never been a team that aggressively moves up the draft board.

I think Mantha and Rychel are both better goal scorers.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Shinkaruk more likely than not goes at least 5 spots (10ish) before Horvat (15ish) and Lazar (20-30ish?) and they go in that order IMO.

Lazar probably has the lowest floor of the 3 but also the lowest ceiling as well.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Shinkaruk would be the best thing to happen to this franchise in years. If he started slipping past 12 or so, I hope Gillis would be on the phone trying to move heaven and earth to get up there to get him.

My guess is that 10 other teams would be doing so as well.

Hunter might slip out of the top 10 but some team will regret it if he does.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Why is consistency/effort more of a disadvantage than size?

Petan and Mantha are both highly skilled. There are players who struggled with consistency(Marleau, Vanek) and there are players that have struggled with size(MSL, Roy). There are also types of both players that have flamed out. What makes one flaw better than another?

In a nutshell one (consistency) can be changed while the other (size) can't.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Exactly. So why do a lot of people here prefer Petan to Mantha?

Well assuming all other things being equal (skating, skill, etc), a small player who gives consistent effort/intensity is still a valuable asset to any team. A big player who gives low effort/intensity is almost unplayable. Think Kassian AT TIMES this year (not to turn this into a Kassian debate), which resulted in demotions, benchings, and reduced ice time. Lack of effort is a bigger impediment to being a useful player than size, as it typically leads to poor defensive coverage, dead plays, turnovers, etc. Basically all the things a coach won't tolerate for long. As long as a player plays hard, no matter their size (within reason I suppose) they can still back check, cover the point, play down low, etc. Overall I think size is overrated by many. With strength training what it is today, even a 5'10 or 5'11 player can hold their own in puck battles and are often shiftier and more elusive to boot.

Obviously size is better when skill, effort, skating etc are all their but those are the rarest of players in this league ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad