Pre-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
for those people that do not want mantha without our first - at what point in the draft would you consider picking him if you had that level of control? what is his value? a late 2nd? early 3rd?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
for those people that do not want mantha without our first - at what point in the draft would you consider picking him if you had that level of control? what is his value? a late 2nd? early 3rd?

I would consider taking him with our first if we had another pick that was earlier (say, from a Luongo trade) and the other desirable guys were already picked. Otherwise it's just too much risk.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Because for Mantha it's not just consistency but general attitude and work ethic. You can't always fix that otherwise Daigle would've been a superstar.

Well, he's said in interviews that he knows that his effort and attention to defense needs work. I don't know Mantha personally, so it's hard for me to judge his attitude though.

Realistically I think his potential is someone like Vanek. Not the most consistent or best defensively by far, but still a legitimate star player.

Last edited:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
MG did say in today's interview that he'll make an effort to recoup a "couple of picks" in this what he called a "strong" draft class. Coincidentally, two 2nd rounders is the last confirmed going rate for Lou.

23rd getting closer to reality.

All I ask is he goes BFA (best forward available) with his 1st. He can try for a Weber with the later pics. His odds won't diminish nearly as much if he were trying for a scorer later on.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
MG did say in today's interview that he'll make an effort to recoup a "couple of picks" in this what he called a "strong" draft class. Coincidentally, two 2nd rounders is the last confirmed going rate for Lou.

23rd getting closer to reality.

All I ask is he goes BFA (best forward available) with his 1st. He can try for a Weber with the later pics. His odds won't diminish nearly as much if he were trying for a scorer later on.

I think we should easily get at least one 2nd for Luongo, maybe a 3rd or 4th for Ballard, and maybe a late pick for Roy's UFA rights.

And I agree about drafting the best forward available with our 1st (unless Ristolainen falls to us).

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
MyNHL has really cool mock drafts but that would suck if all of those players are gone before we get to the podium. Erne would still be a pretty good pick though.

Hopefully some team reaches big time like the Rangers did with McIlrath.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I think we should easily get at least one 2nd for Luongo, maybe a 3rd or 4th for Ballard, and maybe a late pick for Roy's UFA rights.

And I agree about drafting the best forward available with our 1st (unless Ristolainen falls to us).

I would take any of Ristolainen, Pulock, and Zadorov over the vast majority of players talked about. Morrissey I'd take over a lot of guys as well.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Looking like 23 is where we'll end up. No way Ottawa wins 3 straight against that team.

23 is actually a big difference from 26, believe it or not. The last of the true steals are usually lapped up around that spot and very few actually make it past 25.

StringerBell

Looking like 23 is where we'll end up. No way Ottawa wins 3 straight against that team.

23 is actually a big difference from 26, believe it or not. The last of the true steals are usually lapped up around that spot and very few actually make it past 25.

Nah, lots make it into the second round every year too. Don't expect this year to be any different.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
What do you guys think about JC Lipon with our 3rd rounder?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I would take any of Ristolainen, Pulock, and Zadorov over the vast majority of players talked about. Morrissey I'd take over a lot of guys as well.

That's great but who will put the puck in for you in 3 years time?

Nucks rank at near bottom 3rd in league scoring right now. 3 of the top scorers are 33, the other is injury prone. Nobody among our prospects projects as front line talent.

Is the plan to hire a coach who doubles as alchemist and bears elixir that turns D men and mediocre forwards into offensive studs?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I really want Curtis Lazar, I think he's going to be a great NHL, I'm worried that Gillis would pass on him cause of his size. Lazar would be for our system.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
That's great but who will put the puck in for you in 3 years time?

Nucks rank at near bottom 3rd in league scoring right now. 3 of the top scorers are 33, the other is injury prone. Nobody among our prospects projects as front line talent.

Is the plan to hire a coach who doubles as alchemist and bears elixir that turns D men and mediocre forwards into offensive studs?

Drafting based on need alone is never a good idea.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Drafting based on need alone is never a good idea.

As a general rule that is true, but when comparing players at different positions - D versus Forward - it is harder to say who is truly "BPA". Is it a minute eating defenseman like Ristolainen? Or a potential sniper like Erne or Rychel? I have no problem taking BPA but with a leaning towards offensive forwards because that is what is missing from our team AND our prospect system. And unless we make an effort to rectifying that - including through the draft - it isn't going to *magically* be better in 2-3 years. Given the age of our D plus the emergence of Tanev and Corrado, I feel it would be better to pick up a forward this year, unless an obvious stud D is there at our spot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad