2013 NHL "Around the League" Talk - Pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What the hell was wrong with the way he celebrated? How dare he wait for his teammates to come to him after scoring an OT winner at home!

Derek Morris acted like a total ****.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think it's a big deal but in both celebrations he made it about himself. The first one he leaves his teammates to slide across the ice. This one he scores and instead of skating to his teammates to celebrate, he stands there and motions for them to come to him. Like I said, not a big deal at all, but I can see why people are questioning it.

Morris probably felt like he was challenging his team or mocking them. Oh well they scored, get over it dude.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't get what he did wrong. We was motioning at his teammates...

You have to have a Don Cherry mentality to understand....

When a Canadian celebrates like that, he's just a good ole' boy having fun. When a European does it, he's an arrogant punk and has it coming!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Looks like in addition to re-alignment this summer, we'll have a relocation too. Pretty clear the NHL and probably Jamison too, have been playing games with Coyote fans. No deal struck so far today and sounds like multiple sources saying he's not close to having the money. Something about one of the investor's bailing or something and the NHL demanding ownership be divided a certain way. This all happened in the span of like 24 hours so doesn't look good. Mayor of that city certainly doesn't give a rip...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8...oduce-capital-purchase-team-according-sources

Their fans are saying Seattle or QC with QC being closer to a finished arena. I guess Seattle hasn't broken ground; to me that suggests they're not an option.

Markham Ontario will have theirs done sometime next year. Will be interesting summer IMO. I guess this is why they didn't do the re-alignment stuff as part of the CBA talks. Although technically alignment wouldn't fall under the guise of owner-player by-laws.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Looks like in addition to re-alignment this summer, we'll have a relocation too. Pretty clear the NHL and probably Jamison too, have been playing games with Coyote fans. No deal struck so far today and sounds like multiple sources saying he's not close to having the money. Something about one of the investor's bailing or something and the NHL demanding ownership be divided a certain way. This all happened in the span of like 24 hours so doesn't look good. Mayor of that city certainly doesn't give a rip...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8...oduce-capital-purchase-team-according-sources

Their fans are saying Seattle or QC with QC being closer to a finished arena. I guess Seattle hasn't broken ground; to me that suggests they're not an option.

Markham Ontario will have theirs done sometime next year. Will be interesting summer IMO. I guess this is why they didn't do the re-alignment stuff as part of the CBA talks. Although technically alignment wouldn't fall under the guise of owner-player by-laws.

I wouldn't say Seattle is out of the question just yet. Yes, they'll need a new arena long term, but they are very close to getting the Sacramento Kings. The arena Seattle has right now is a little undersized for an NHL team, but it could be used for a few years while a new arena is being built. After all, the Islanders are going to be playing in Brooklyn, and that arena is smaller than most other NHL arenas.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Seattle would be awesome. It'd give me another team to root for when they play against the Canucks, much to my friends' dismay

There's already a decent rivalry between Seattle/Vancouver in MLS soccer. It'd be fun to have it hockey as well

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah but isn't that Brooklyn arena new / their new home? Or just temporary? I was under the impression Seattle's arena cannot actually accommodate a hockey rink because of how it was built but maybe I misunderstood.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yah but isn't that Brooklyn arena new / their new home? Or just temporary? I was under the impression Seattle's arena cannot actually accommodate a hockey rink because of how it was built but maybe I misunderstood.

Key Arena in Seattle has a seating capacity of 15,177 for hockey. Obviously not ideal long term, but I think it could be a short term solution until a proper arena is built.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Was thinking about this the other day, QC and a 2nd GTA team actually works out well for a 4-division/8-team conference, in addition to Seattle getting a team, assuming Phoenix moves to one of those locations and the other 2 are expansion teams. Only problem is it either splits up the Atlantic, or Washington gets lumped in with the Northeast (stupid).

Here's how I figured it would work:
West:VAN,CLG,EDM,SEA,ANA,SJS,LAK,COL
Central:WIN,MIN,DET,CLS,STL,CHI,NSH,DAL
East:FLA,TBL,CAR,WSH,NYR,NYI,PHI,NJD
Northeast:PIT,BUF,BOS,MTL,OTT,QC,TOR,TOR2

Works well for all teams I think as far as travel, depending on if you still had conferences or how you set the schedule. I'd like to see them eliminate the East/West conferences and return to divisional playoffs under a 4D/8T setup, so something like 6 games vs. division + home/away vs. non-division is a 90 game schedule. 5 or 4 vs. division + home/away is an 83 and 76 game schedule, respectively. Teams are grouped mostly by time zone (exceptions being a one-hour difference for Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit, Columbus, and Colorado), so travel is mostly North-South and drastically reduces travel for teams like Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, etc.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Seattle would be awesome. It'd give me another team to root for when they play against the Canucks, much to my friends' dismay

There's already a decent rivalry between Seattle/Vancouver in MLS soccer. It'd be fun to have it hockey as well

Yup, and it would make realignment much easier.

All indications are that Brooklyn will be the new home of the Islanders from here on out. They have no other options unless they want to relocate to a different city.

As for Seattle's arena, it can accommodate hockey, there just aren't as many seats as there are in other NHL arenas. Supposedly the NHL would be okay with that for a few years as long as Seattle gets a new arena built.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Could any of you imagine what these boards would have been like if Crosby, when he was 18, celebrated like Yakupov did?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Key Arena in Seattle has a seating capacity of 15,177 for hockey. Obviously not ideal long term, but I think it could be a short term solution until a proper arena is built.

Key Arena was designed so that hockey could not be played there- so it could be the exclusive home of the Supersonics. Of course only having one team playing there made it more difficult to get financing for a new arena so now Seattle doesn't have an NBA team either.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
1hzg1w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad