2013 NHL "Around the League" Talk - Pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If you want a good laugh watch the end of the Tor-Was game.

30 seconds left... Was down by 1... Ovy gets the puck in the Tor zone and goes for a skate twice around the net before passing it to a Leaf.

I can't make **** this good up.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Just saw this. Bummer.

This is a bummer, man... this is a bummer.

the-big-lebowski-the-collectors-edition-20051020064922419-000.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If you want a good laugh watch the end of the Tor-Was game.

30 seconds left... Was down by 1... Ovy gets the puck in the Tor zone and goes for a skate twice around the net before passing it to a Leaf.

I can't make **** this good up.

They are imploding. Makes me feel better about our ****-ups a little bit. They've blown a two goal lead in the last 10 minutes or so of the 3rd period the last two games and were losing by bigger counts the first week.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yah but isn't that Brooklyn arena new / their new home? Or just temporary? I was under the impression Seattle's arena cannot actually accommodate a hockey rink because of how it was built but maybe I misunderstood.

Brooklyn is going to be the Islanders' full-time home at 14,500 seats. That's only allowed because they're the Islanders and a.) the NHL doesn't want to lose them in that market and b.) they have an owner who is fiercely loyal to the market and is okay with operating within the NHL's financial system and accepting that he's not going to have a Golden Goose. I don't think some previous teams that were on the block would be allowed to play in an arena that small...but Winnipeg set a type of precedence and the situation in Long Island just wasn't one where any party wanted the team to leave. It's clear that the NHL values quality of arena over size of arena right now. Sorry, Hamilton.

KeyArena's NHL configuration is basically going to be as bad as Brooklyn's is, it's just a far worse arena with more seats for the hockey configuration. The difference here is that KeyArena would be a temporary arena, a temporary arena that the NHL has already said publically would be suitable as a temporary arena.

Quebec is getting a team. If it's the Coyotes or an expansion team remains to be seen, but their arena is being built as we speak. With the owners likely wanting expansion and the Coyotes floating face first in the duck pond like some sort of lame duck it will happen. The question that really matters here, in my mind, is Toronto 2 or Seattle or both. If it's just QC and Toronto 2 I'm going to be pissed...but I think Phoenix will solve the issue and make it a round 3. Considering Quebec is further along with the arena building and has what appears to be an ownership group set up I do think the Coyotes would move to Quebec before Seattle (Toronto isn't an option here since they'd have nowhere to play...the Leafs aren't going to let them play in the ACC and Ricoh Coliseum is about 7,000 seats too small to be a temporary venue...oh, and it's also owned by MLSE...Toronto 2 happens when that arena opens and not a second before).

The thing holding Seattle back right now is that their focus is clearly on the NBA right now...they have the interested parties, reportedly, in owning a NHL team and the folks wanting to build the arena and bring the Super Sonics 'back' very vocally want to share the arena with a NHL franchise...but the NHL isn't going there before the NBA goes there...and the Kings move to Seattle is going to take some time to get approved. By the time all the kinks are finished there and the arena does get approval (it's in the environmental impact study stage right now) Quebec could just be too far ahead of the process to catch up.

At the end of the day I think all three of Seattle, Quebec, and Toronto 2 will wind up with teams. The entire league wants the cash cow that would be Toronto 2, Winnipeg's short-term success bodes extremely well for the league accepting the larger Quebec back, and Seattle is obviously an attractive market for the NHL for numerous reasons.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It's coming up on four years since we traded Ryan Whitney.

And in those four years he has scored a total of 13 goals. He had double that in his only two complete seasons here.

I know he's gotten hurt a lot, but man that guy's offense dried up quickly. And it's not like he busted a shoulder or wrist or back or something, his injury issues have mostly been with his feet and ankles. Not exactly stuff that damages your shooting.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's coming up on four years since we traded Ryan Whitney.

And in those four years he has scored a total of 13 goals. He had double that in his only two complete seasons here.

I know he's gotten hurt a lot, but man that guy's offense dried up quickly. And it's not like he busted a shoulder or wrist or back or something, his injury issues have mostly been with his feet and ankles. Not exactly stuff that damages your shooting.

he had some crazy amount of assists before getting hurt either last year or the year before didn't he?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Yah but isn't that Brooklyn arena new / their new home? Or just temporary? I was under the impression Seattle's arena cannot actually accommodate a hockey rink because of how it was built but maybe I misunderstood.

Brooklyn is going to be the Islanders' full-time home at 14,500 seats. That's only allowed because they're the Islanders and a.) the NHL doesn't want to lose them in that market and b.) they have an owner who is fiercely loyal to the market and is okay with operating within the NHL's financial system and accepting that he's not going to have a Golden Goose. I don't think some previous teams that were on the block would be allowed to play in an arena that small...but Winnipeg set a type of precedence and the situation in Long Island just wasn't one where any party wanted the team to leave. It's clear that the NHL values quality of arena over size of arena right now. Sorry, Hamilton.

KeyArena's NHL configuration is basically going to be as bad as Brooklyn's is, it's just a far worse arena with more seats for the hockey configuration. The difference here is that KeyArena would be a temporary arena, a temporary arena that the NHL has already said publically would be suitable as a temporary arena.

Brooklyn will be the Isles new home for the next 25 years starting 2015. Also there are rumors that they will add seats to the arena to sit between 15,000- 15,500. Wang wanted to stay in Nassau, but the politicians there can't get their heads out of where the sun doesn't shine fast enough. That's partially because it was the Isles home, but also for the real estate that surrounds the NVMC.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Super glad that the Isles will stay in the NY area. It would be a shame to see a 4 time Cup winner get relocated out of state/country.

When the Isles become decent again, they will sellout every game. They are like the Pirates in a lot of ways (no offense). Proud, starved fan bases that just want a reason to go. But both have less than ideal owners that muck things up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The boarding call on Renaldo just now proves that the NHL is going in a direction that is going to alienate a ton of old school fans. Most ridiculous penalty I may have ever seen.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
If the pens are playing bad hockey I don't even know what to call what the flyers are doing. They are embarrassingly bad.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The music just works...

:laugh: Gotta love it. Ovy meets Benny Hill.

Brooklyn is going to be the Islanders' full-time home at 14,500 seats. That's only allowed because they're the Islanders and a.) the NHL doesn't want to lose them in that market and b.) they have an owner who is fiercely loyal to the market

Quebec is getting a team. If it's the Coyotes or an expansion team remains to be seen, but their arena is being built as we speak. With the owners likely wanting expansion and the Coyotes floating face first in the duck pond like some sort of lame duck it will happen. ...

Nice post Swanson. I tend to agree the stars are aligning for a return to Canada, but not sure Seattle will get a team anytime soon, if there's no defined ownership group and they're still stuck in Key Arena for now (which I recall many people said was a **** venue not only because of the number of seats but because even when you cram a rink in there the arrangement of the seats / views from many seats is really poor?). Maybe in a few years that will heat up when an arena deal is in place, but the next two teams have two arena options that are already sure things (Markham and QC)... if what you say comes to pass I think Seattle will be the third team.

Since everyone is saying FLA has a great arena lease deal (yet can't put butts in the seats at $7 each), wonder if they'll get passed over. Besides them and PHX I don't see who would get relocated. TB? Not sure what their situation is these days but it has to be better than Florida's by a decent margin. More competitive, more recently successful, more ticket sales last I checked...

You think the next two after PHX will be true expansion teams? I don't like the idea of further diluting league talent that way but not sure what else could happen if FLA and TB stay put.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Zetterberg with a nice goal, fed from Brunner. 1-0 Wings.

Zetterberg again on a beakaway, 2-0 Wings.

Fantasy team loves this.

St Louis quickly ties it, 2-2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad