2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I don't like our first line revolving door. The constant square peg round hole approach has really shut down 2 of our best offensive players.

The Gio-Bernier-Carter was a great 4th line, but as a third line they don't look the same. You need a hard worker to play with Zajac-Kovy, they aren't getting any possession time. I wouldn't mind seeeing Gio play with them until Henrique returns and solidifies our top 6.

After that we can focus on our Fugly defense.

Same defense that has let up only 8 goals in 5 games. They may not look pretty, but they are getting the job done so far.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't like our first line revolving door. The constant square peg round hole approach has really shut down 2 of our best offensive players.

The Gio-Bernier-Carter was a great 4th line, but as a third line they don't look the same. You need a hard worker to play with Zajac-Kovy, they aren't getting any possession time. I wouldn't mind seeeing Gio play with them until Henrique returns and solidifies our top 6.

After that we can focus on our Fugly defense.
Our defense has been fine. If anything we have too much for sure. I don't like CBGB as the 3rd line, nor the lack of stability in our 1st. Hope Matteau goes back, but I don't know who starts on the 1st line. Maybe Josefson as a winger? I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Anderson at this point!:laugh::laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The overreacting is incredible.

All of our defenseman except for Zidlicky haven't played at all since June. Zidlicky came home earlier as well, so you can include him in there. There's going to be some sloppy plays and turnovers. Yet, they've still only let up 8 goals in 5 games. There's no reason to be blaming our defense right now, they are the least of our concerns. Are they a bit slow, yeah, but positionally they are as solid as they come.

Offensively, I think everyone is concerned. Scoring depth is an issue, but hopefully that will get addressed soon. Once we add a forward, we will be fine when Henrique comes back. We just have to pick up as many points as we can until we strengthen our roster.

I'd love to see us add someone like Setoguchi to round out the top six, he might be available. Matteau was a nice stopgap but we are going to need a reliable forward, hopefully one that will fit well with Zajac and Kovalchuk.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Same defense that has let up only 8 goals in 5 games. They may not look pretty, but they are getting the job done so far.

Just about to post this.

That and 8 points out of 10, but still so much complaining.

My reaction to this season so far is to **** talk like there's no tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy being a fan of the top dogs, dammit!

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Season has been good so far, not much to complain about. Only thing is that we need another forward pronto which essentially means we need to get to 10 games asap so Lou can finish analyzing and pull the trigger. This current forward squad is not going to get it done even when Henrique comes back in a few games. Still need another guy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Defense is not the problem. The offense is the concern. Our defense is way better now than it was 5 games into last season. Our goaltending has been phenomenal as well. As has our PK.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Defense is not the problem. The offense is the concern. Our defense is way better now than it was 5 games into last season. Our goaltending has been phenomenal as well. As has our PK.

Agreed. Although I wouldn't mind putting Larsson in the lineup either at the expense of another Dman or as the 7th.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed. Although I wouldn't mind putting Larsson in the lineup either at the expense of another Dman or as the 7th.

We can definitely afford to sit somebody even if we're only giving Larsson bottom pairing minutes. We can definitely afford to trade someone even, and get a forward. We're real thin at forward, and just watching the shootout lineup you can see that. CBGB as the 3rd line, and not even having a sixth forward to play in the top 6.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
It's somewhat embarrassing how many people are saying the defense "sucks."

Right, the same top-6 who just assisted in us getting to the finals. And the same top-6 that has contributed to a stingy 8GA in our first 5 games.

That's a lot of suck. Trade them all...

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
yea I think this is the best defense corps the Devils have had in years. Every player is at least an NHL D-man, there may not be a clear cut superstar number 1 but there are a bunch of 3-4s and they're very good collectively. Plus, Larsson may come in and surprise the hell out of everyone and be that clear cut number 1 guy, you never know.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are people really saying the defense sucks? It's the offense that sucks right now. We've been good defensively for the most part in every game other than Montreal.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
yea it is pretty clear that for the first time since the Stevens era, the strength of this team is the defense. I think a few acquisitions to provide more forward depth could change that, but Lou always takes his time and that probably won't happen for a while.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Have you not seen all the giveaways Devils defense have been churning out? Frankly, I think they've been lucky with the puck bounces so far. Anyways, you talk about goals against but what about goals for. The defense has 0 goals, not exactly what you want when you don't have much forward depth.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Are people really saying the defense sucks? It's the offense that sucks right now. We've been good defensively for the most part in every game other than Montreal.

Hell the offense isn't even that bad, needs work for sure, isn't as good as the playoff roster for sure, but there were definitely points last season where we looked just as thin.

Also I am starting to believe Clarkson actually can score every game, no matter how flukie it just seems he can at this point :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only game that was out of control defensively was that Montreal game the other night. This game was pretty good in that regard.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Season has been good so far, not much to complain about. Only thing is that we need another forward pronto which essentially means we need to get to 10 games asap so Lou can finish analyzing and pull the trigger. This current forward squad is not going to get it done even when Henrique comes back in a few games. Still need another guy.

very good analysis in my eyes

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Clarkson to Marchand :laugh::laugh:

BB0w9BRCAAIZ1Tc1.jpg-large1.jpg

DevilsAnimal*

So according to my math here

Mark Fraser
Rod Pelley
Nick Palmieri
Stephane Veilleux
Jaycob Megna
Raphael Bussieres
and a 3rd round pick

for Zidlicky
and Timo Pielmeier

Cant say I hate it

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i agree with everyone saying something needs to be figured out for that top unit. cant keep plugging in guys who have no business being there. also would like some more size up front personally but any type of top 6 talent or even borderline top 6 talent is needed. kovalchuk playing insane minutes night in and night out isnt a wise choice either.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Personally I think Tallinder has been our Best D-man this year...maybe 2nd to Fayne

He's looked pretty damn good, especially tonight against Boston, I think. Zidlicky and Salvador have been getting murdered in possession, on the other hand. Fayne, of course, has been the best. Of course the numbers mean very little with only four games worth of data.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
i agree with everyone saying something needs to be figured out for that top unit. cant keep plugging in guys who have no business being there. also would like some more size up front personally but any type of top 6 talent or even borderline top 6 talent is needed. kovalchuk playing insane minutes night in and night out isnt a wise choice either.
I know Pete wants to use him as a center, but I think Henrique needs to go with Travis and Kovy.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think so too.
This also puts Lou back in the position of only needing to beef up the bottom 6 instead of trying to force a trade for the top 6.
Here's my thinking, personally:

•Henrique goes to top line LW (or RW, and Kovy goes back to LW, whatever)
•The Devils acquire a centerman who can play in a 2nd/3rd line role (preferably one who is good at face-offs), or they acquire another winger (preferably one with significant size) and play Zubrus at center
•The Devils acquire a winger who can play in a 2nd/3rd line role (preferably one with significant size)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm fine with Henrique on the top line. I'm not concerned about Patty's faceoffs right now. It would be better than anything we've had on the top line so far. I just want some stability, and I feel Trav, and Kovy haven't been able to get anything going, because there is no stability in their line. They haven't played much more than a period with the same winger.

I know it was talked about before when he was put on waivers, but how about Santorelli from the Panthers? He's been a healthy scratch for much of the time. We passed on him on waivers a couple weeks ago, but Pete got 20 goals out of him his last season in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad