Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Would anyone be surprised if Mac is traded to Blues? Especially since they've been scouting Leafs and just had more injuries today. Mac+ for Stewart would be ideal but I am fine trading him for 2nd as well.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Would anyone be surprised if Mac is traded to Blues? Especially since they've been scouting Leafs and just had more injuries today. Mac+ for Stewart would be ideal but I am fine trading him for 2nd as well.

Well they are short on bodies at forward. So I doubt they trade Stewart. They are most likely looking at a short term player who can step into a bit of a scoring role like a Clarke MacArthur. Most likely he would be dealt for a pick or prospect or combo of both.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

MacArthur for D'Agostini + 3rd would be solid, don't know if they'd do it.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
If we hold our playoff position, would anyone be willing to trade our 1st round pick for depth?

I would say a package of our 1st, Grabovski could fetch a good return

or

Our 1st, plus one of Biggs, Percy, and Finn...

Are there star players(not untouchables) that we would be able to/like to add to our line up?

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
I haven't made a proposal in a while.......

Trade: Clowe for MacArthur
Reason: Both UFAs, Clowe is ******** the bed in SJ and they seem to be willing to deal him for relatively cheap. MacArthur is soft, Clowe is tough....

Trade: Grabovski, Franson, 1st 2014 (Top 5 Protected) for ROR
Reason: Grabo because Leafs need to get rid of his contract, he doesn't fit long term. Franson to sweeten the deal and a 1st in next year's draft to further sweeten the deal and appease those demanding Avs fans.

Trade: Kulemin for Clarkson
Reason: This is the most far fetched but my dream scenario is that Lou talks to Clarkson and asks whether or not he wants to resign and Clarkson says he wants to play in Toronto. Lou trades him while he can get value for him.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Frattin
Clowe O'Reilly Clarkson
Komarov McClement Orr

Once ROR becomes the elite Selke trophy winning 75 point player we have been told he will be, Bozak goes down to the third line.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

Reason: Both UFAs, Clowe is ******** the bed in SJ and they seem to be willing to deal him for relatively cheap. MacArthur is soft, Clowe is tough....

Trade: Grabovski, Franson, 1st 2014 (Top 5 Protected) for ROR
Reason: Grabo because Leafs need to get rid of his contract, he doesn't fit long term. Franson to sweeten the deal and a 1st in next year's draft to further sweeten the deal and appease those demanding Avs fans.

Trade: Kulemin for Clarkson
Reason: This is the most far fetched but my dream scenario is that Lou talks to Clarkson and asks whether or not he wants to resign and Clarkson says he wants to play in Toronto. Lou trades him while he can get value for him.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Frattin
Clowe O'Reilly Clarkson
Komarov McClement Orr

Yeah, no.

You're not going to trade that package of assets (Elite #2 C, top 4dman, and a first) for a guy you're going to play on your fourth line. Talk about HORRIBLE asset management. I know there have been rumors all along that Clarkson wants to play for the Leafs, but he's a UFA after the season. Not worth the risk.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
Yeah, no.

You're not going to trade that package of assets (Elite #2 C, top 4dman, and a first) for a guy you're going to play on your fourth line. Talk about HORRIBLE asset management. I know there have been rumors all along that Clarkson wants to play for the Leafs, but he's a UFA after the season. Not worth the risk.

The idea is that he would grow into the first line roll. I slotted him in the third line because I don't think he's earned it over Bozak yet.

Franson was a healthy scratch all the time. Sell high on him.

Grabo is a second line center, but he's far from elite lol.. be realistic. The problem with Grabo is that Kadri is the second line center of the future, and with Grabo signed long term, he needs to be moved. The ideal candidate to move him for would be a guy who can play on the third line but with potential to play on the top line.

Kyle Doobas*

Grabo is a second line center, but he's far from elite lol.. be realistic. The problem with Grabo is that Kadri is the second line center of the future, and with Grabo signed long term, he needs to be moved.
You don't trade an above-average second line center, and the best center you have on your team because a young guy has played well for 20 games.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we hold our playoff position, would anyone be willing to trade our 1st round pick for depth?

I would say a package of our 1st, Grabovski could fetch a good return

or

Our 1st, plus one of Biggs, Percy, and Finn...

Are there star players(not untouchables) that we would be able to/like to add to our line up?

It didnt work when we had Sundin and Belfour, and then really hurt us longterm.

I dont see why trading a 1st now would be a good idea. We should be acquiring picks, not trading them. If MacArthur, Liles, and Steckel were moved for example, our team would perform at the same level it is now, maybe even better with Lupul/Frattin returning from injury, + we'd get more picks for this upcoming deep draft.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
i have a bad feeling the Habs are clearing space for Perry and possibly Getzlaf as well...

They would have to choose them over us. They can't offer anymore then we could.

Not saying we are a given to land them if they become UFAs, but I don't see how Montreal has any better chance.

Perry and Getzlaf have had success with Carlyle in the past.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
They would have to choose them over us. They can't offer anymore then we could.

Not saying we are a given to land them if they become UFAs, but I don't see how Montreal has any better chance.

Perry and Getzlaf have had success with Carlyle in the past.

Perry was a HUGE Hab fan... The cole trade just doesn't sit well with me..

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
You don't trade an above-average second line center, and the best center you have on your team because a young guy has played well for 20 games.

You might not, and I won't call you crazy for being conservative... but I would, at least for the sake of discussion in a trade proposal thread.

It's a risk and I'd be banking on O'Reily and Kadri improving and getting better but in my opinion it's a risk worth taking.

Badger Mayhew*

Uh...MacArthur is not soft.

In comparison to Clowe, yes. But in general? No.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Perry was a HUGE Hab fan... The cole trade just doesn't sit well with me..

They currently have approx. $12.5M in cap space next season.

With Cole they would have had approx. $8M

Likely Kaberle Buy-out
SEASON-----BUYOUT CAP HIT
2013-14----- $1,250,000
2014-15----- $1,500,000

So that would leave $6.75M to sign 7 players including Desharnais, who IMO is at least in the $3M neighbourhood next year. It's def. not impossible, but leaves them pretty tight.

Think this move was to give them breathing room next year.

**Not sure if compliance buy-out rules are different, if they are I'm pretty sure there would be a bigger cap hit in 13/14, leaving them in worse shape

Badger Mayhew*

He doesn't fight, doesn't hit a lot, he's average size... sure there's lots of guys that are softer than him, but he's not exactly a gritty player. Clowe is.

If anything, our forwards could learn something from MacArthur in terms of toughness:

Apr 1, 2010
The idea is that he would grow into the first line roll. I slotted him in the third line because I don't think he's earned it over Bozak yet.

Franson was a healthy scratch all the time. Sell high on him.

Grabo is a second line center, but he's far from elite lol.. be realistic. The problem with Grabo is that Kadri is the second line center of the future, and with Grabo signed long term, he needs to be moved. The ideal candidate to move him for would be a guy who can play on the third line but with potential to play on the top line.

1st off. **** ROR. Leave him to rot on the sidelines. Greedy little **** should sign a 2 year deal and prove himself as a top forward, but he won't, because Duchene is healthy and ROR knows won't get the prime minutes like he did last year. So he wants to cash in on this dal. **** him. We don't need him nor should we want him.

Franson was a top 4 D-man on one of the best D-corps in the league before he came to Toronto and Wilson's crazy world of rediculousness.

Under Carlyle Franson is back to being a steady force on the Blueline. Now granted I like the idea of "Sell High", and teams won't be calling about Liles or Komi, so Franson maybe the one to go.

At the same time this would be the ultimate Sell High for Clarkson as well.

I would look for someone who isn't having the best year but might need a change of scenery.

GenericFan2*

I was definitely a supporter of moving Franson late last season-early this season; not anymore. Hes more than earned a spot in this lineup. So, with more offensively minded guys like Gards, Franson, etc. on the backend, Liles becomes sort of redundant. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade at all, but it never hurts to have a veteran guy around. Either way, someone has to go.

Apr 1, 2010
I was definitely a supporter of moving Franson late last season-early this season; not anymore. Hes more than earned a spot in this lineup. So, with more offensively minded guys like Gards, Franson, etc. on the backend, Liles becomes sort of redundant. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade at all, but it never hurts to have a veteran guy around. Either way, someone has to go.

BUt no one really wants Liles or Komi.

So one of the guys in the line-up is going to have to go to make room for Gards. That to me means Gunnar or Franson if we are to get anything worthwhile in return.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
BUt no one really wants Liles or Komi.

So one of the guys in the line-up is going to have to go to make room for Gards. That to me means Gunnar or Franson if we are to get anything worthwhile in return.

There seems to be some interest on the main board for Liles, I think he's tradeable.

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Franson
Fraser
Kostka
Gunnarsson
Holzer

Liles gets traded, Komisarek probably bought out but for this season will be the 8th d-man, that is manageable IMO. At least 1 d-man needs to go ASAP though.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Uh...MacArthur is not soft.

In comparison to Clowe, yes. But in general? No.

Clowe would certainly be an interesting addition to the team.... we're a tough team already, Clowe would certainly elevate that if moved in a deal that involves MacArthur.

It's funny, because we've basically got the team playing the way Brian Burke wanted, but hes' no longer at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad