Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
In regards to the ROR situation, I'm wondering if the Leafs are waiting until the deadline to see how valuable their 1st round pick would be. If we are still in the top 10 teams in the league as of April, maybe it would be worth throwing an offer-sheet his way. We lose our 1st, but we could easily recoup a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd by trading guys like Liles, MacArthur and Grabovski.

ROR hasn't played all season so I don't he'd come in and make a significant difference this season. I think at that point Nons would instead will just roll with what he has at center then re-assess the ROR/Center issue again in the summer.

Almost every summer at least one if not 2 or 3 high quality centers move teams through either trade or as UFAs. This summer there could be even more with the cap decreasing for the 1st time, better depth at center then we've seen for most upcoming free agency periods at this point in the season with Getzlaf, Roy, Weiss, Filppula still unsigned.

I think Nonis should and will trade Liles and CMac to gain extra organizational depth to use at trade chips in the off-season or to just simply draft a lot of extra players.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Philly Makes A Move, Domino Effect??

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657607&navid=nhl:topheads

With Lupul, Frattin, Reimer, Gardiner coming back sooner or later, can't see the leafs makin' a move unless its a big one for that #1 centre. Which is easier to type then to acquire thru trade :(
Tho some say we have a logjob at defence, I would like to see a 1a/1b type of Dman.
Tall order, number 1 c or 1d in a trade :help:

Seems Philly sittin' outside the playoffs atm , saw they needed a move to be back in the hunt. If the leafs start slippin' do we make a move to stay in the hunt.??

I say go big or stay with what we have.See what shakes out between now and the start of next season.

Gotta say one of our best starts to the season,12w out of 20..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With Lupul, Frattin, Reimer, Gardiner coming back sooner or later, can't see the leafs makin' a move unless its a big one for that #1 centre. Which is easier to type then to acquire thru trade :(
Tho some say we have a logjob at defence, I would like to see a 1a/1b type of Dman.
Tall order, number 1 c or 1d in a trade :help:

Seems Philly sittin' outside the playoffs atm , saw they needed a move to be back in the hunt. If the leafs start slippin' do we make a move to stay in the hunt.??

I say go big or stay with what we have.See what shakes out between now and the start of next season.

Gotta say one of our best starts to the season,12w out of 20..

I'd like to see A top 6 winger in the Clowe, Horton, Clarkson, Stewart mold

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Nonis is probably thinking why move connolly for third or fourth when i can keep him on the team as injury call up later in the season or maybe even in the playoffs

birddog*

The chances of a team just narrowly missing the playoffs and ending up with 1st overall are astronomical.

That said, we're the Leafs and something like that would happen to us if we traded the pick.

Heres the %s from last year

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

25.0% - Columbus Blue Jackets - 65 points
18.8% - Edmonton Oilers - 74 points
14.2% - Montreal Canadiens - 78 points
10.7% - New York Islanders - 79 points
8.1% - Toronto Maple Leafs - 80 points
6.2% - Anaheim Ducks - 80 points
4.7% - Minnesota Wild - 81 points
3.6% - Carolina Hurricanes - 82 points
2.7% - Winnipeg Jets - 84 points
2.1% - Tampa Bay Lightning - 84 points
1.5% - Washington Capitals (from Colorado) - 88 points
1.1% - Buffalo Sabres - 89 points
0.8% - Dallas Stars - 89 points
0.5% - Calgary Flames - 90 points

I thought I read somewhere they changed it back to last years 5 teams. The exception being a team can move up more than 2 spots.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
When Frattin comes back we had our bull in Komarov.
With Lupul coming back think we are set with top 6.
I think mac gets pushed back or out??

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
exactly. swap in and Mac out. Not that I dislike Mac but I think we need a big bull with kadri and Fratthouse

Ideally this is what my top 9 looks like

Lupul/JVR ? Kessel

Lupul /JVR Grabovski and one of Horton, Clarkson, Stewart Clowe,

Frattin Kadri, Komarov

Lupul and JVR have both proven to play well with Kessel so 1 plays with Kessel 1 with Grabovski and hopefully one of the 4 I mentioned

Kadri, continues getting sheltered minutes to see if he can do it for an 82 game season. If he can he takes Grabovski spot as #2 center

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
When Frattin comes back we had our bull in Komarov.
With Lupul coming back think we are set with top 6.
I think mac gets pushed back or out??

Mac get's pushed back to Grabo's line which by TOI is the 2nd line so you mean pushed up or are you saying to the 4th line. Komarov can't even hit an empty net and I think he's an excellent 4th liner, period, nothing wrong with that and at most a no option injury replacement player.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I thought I read somewhere they changed it back to last years 5 teams. The exception being a team can move up more than 2 spots.

Fairly certain that just the odds of winning the lottery stay the same, where any of the 14 teams who miss the playoffs can win, but now whoever wins gets 1st overall, rather than the maximum jump of 4 spots (which is why only the bottom 5 teams had a chance at the 1st overall under the old rules).

Ideally this is what my top 9 looks like

Lupul/JVR ? Kessel

Lupul /JVR Grabovski and one of Horton, Clarkson, Stewart Clowe,

Frattin Kadri, Komarov

Lupul and JVR have both proven to play well with Kessel so 1 plays with Kessel 1 with Grabovski and hopefully one of the 4 I mentioned

Kadri, continues getting sheltered minutes to see if he can do it for an 82 game season. If he can he takes Grabovski spot as #2 center

I think we'll see Lupul playing with Kadri and Frattin. Yeah, Grabo's a more proven commodity, but he's using his line as a shut-down line, so I can't see him putting Lupul there, or splitting the success that JVR and Kessel have had this season (unless there's a slump and shake-up type change once Lupul comes back). If Nonis could pick up a strong 2-way forward, I think at the start he'd fit with Grabo and Kulemin...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov/McClemment/MacArthur/Trade - Grabo - Kulemin/Komarov/Trade
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
McLaren/Komarov - McClemment/Steckel - Orr/Brown

That's how I see it going, depending on what moves are made. I don't see Bozak being moved, but I could see Grabo maybe being dealt...

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
When you hear reports that teams like Anaheim are in contract talks with their
FA's and you hear nothing from the leafs it makes you wonder whether DN
aleady knows that Bozak and Macarthur are being traded.
\
Surely by this time in the year DN has an idea from their agents how much they are expecting and if he can fit them into the salary cap structure that the leafs have.

Just seems fishy not one news item about them negotiating with these two

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
\
Surely by this time in the year DN has an idea from their agents how much they are expecting and if he can fit them into the salary cap structure that the leafs have.

Or, assuming the Leafs want to sign them to extensions, probably Bozak moreso than Mac, they're just keeping discussions under wraps because there's no need for the public to know how negotiations are going...that could maybe be it. Lupul's extension came pretty much out of nowhere

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So James Duthie is on TSN radio today at like 330 and (paraphrase) says "We're not going to see any trades yet"

three hours later and two semi big trades. lol

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not sure I understand this trade from either team's POV but sure :laugh:

I think Cole rubbed the Habs the wrong away when he said he was think about retiring due to the ridiculous CBA negotiations. It seems like he's basically retired the way he's playing this season.

I'm not sure why Dallas wanted Cole, but I know why the Habs wanted Ryder. The Habs get a bunch of long term cap space (I'm sure they will take a hefty run at Perry this summer) and get a better scorer in Ryder for a playoff run. Again, I have no idea why Dallas wanted Cole.

Kyle Doobas*

Michael Gary Scott said:
Not sure about that, it frees up a lot of cap space. And makes our lineup bigger.

Lupul/JVR-Bozak-Kessel
JVR/Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Dubinsky-Kulemin
McClaren-McClement-Orr/Brown

Trade Mac for a pick or something at the deadline. Looks like a solid lineup. That 3rd line would be a terror on the forecheck.
I have to think we can do a lot better than Dubinsky if we're trading Grabovski, let alone including Liles and retaining salary.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
\

You comparing league significant assets that can change a teams fortunes to mildly significant top 9 depth. Obviously one is getting more attention than the other.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
If anything this dry spell of trades have shown us (before today), the so called insiders know ****. They ONLY report what gms/agents leak to them. When there are no leaks from gm's, NOT ONE has been able to report any real rumours.

ROR doesn't count either, as everyone knows it's either trade or sign him lol.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If anything this dry spell of trades have shown us (before today), the so called insiders know ****. They ONLY report what gms/agents leak to them. When there are no leaks from gm's, NOT ONE has been able to report any real rumours.

ROR doesn't count either, as everyone knows it's either trade or sign him lol.

While the Cole trade came out of the blue, there have been rumblings about Gagne recently.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
I think Cole rubbed the Habs the wrong away when he said he was think about retiring due to the ridiculous CBA negotiations. It seems like he's basically retired the way he's playing this season.

I'm not sure why Dallas wanted Cole, but I know why the Habs wanted Ryder. The Habs get a bunch of long term cap space (I'm sure they will take a hefty run at Perry this summer) and get a better scorer in Ryder for a playoff run. Again, I have no idea why Dallas wanted Cole.

Because he's old....:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad