Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I actually like Valtteri Filppula.

He had a down year, this year, but he's got lots of skill, and is good in distribution

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Dreger Twitter:
Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per

If Nonis is in on this Leafs just jumped out of the frying pan (Burke) into the fire (Nonis).

This would be just as bad as those retirement deals from the last CBA.
This is why I think Leaf Nation might be disappointed today, if Nonis stays the course and lets other team's pay the Pejorative Slured overpayments, Leafs will avoid putting themselves into another hole. Leafs need better players, but at sane prices. No such thing as fair market value on UFA day, let the "kid in the candy shop" GM's make the mistakes today, Nonis might have to get creative to improve his team, I for one have faith he can do it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd take Statsny as a stop-gap at center, with the ability for him to work his way into something.

He is a UFA at 7mil. For the Avs fans thinking they will land something significant for the guy is laughable. He is a decent player but the writing is on the wall, he is on the outs and the Avs would gladly ship that caphit away (rather then let it playout on the 4th line and walk)

Liles + Colborne + conditional pick (high as a 1st)
1st if Leafs make conference final or they resign him.
2nd if they win a round.
3rd for anything else.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
This is why I think Leaf Nation might be disappointed today, if Nonis stays the course and lets other team's pay the Pejorative Slured overpayments, Leafs will avoid putting themselves into another hole. Leafs need better players, but at sane prices. No such thing as fair market value on UFA day, let the "kid in the candy shop" GM's make the mistakes today, Nonis might have to get creative to improve his team, I for one have faith he can do it.

Honestly, if those are the contract demands, I'll be absolutely THRILLED that Nonis stayed away from them. Even if it means we get ****ed next season, at least we're not screwed for the next 6 years. Holy, how Clarkson and Weiss can even ask for 6m+ for 5+ years is completely out of my comprehension ability.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It was actually a normal season for him. His 60 point season definitely was an exception, not the rule.

I'm not just talking numbers.

He struggled some this year. Didn't seem himself out on the ice on a lot of nights. It was definitely a down year, even on the creating chances and creating space front.

I've always liked his style of play, however.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
It has been a while since HF Boards had a good crash - I have a feeling we will see the boards go down in about 3 hours.

As for free agents - if the asking price is as advertised then I hope the Leafs just sit pat. I would rather "play the kids" then overspend on a middling free agent.(there are no "great" free agents this year imo).

Andrew Mack

Mar 20, 2009
Niagara Region, ON
If David Clarkson gets over $40MM, I just... what..........

He is worth $3.5MM. Given the weak UFA crop, I can see someone offering 5 years, $20MM. Getting more than that.... for a guy who is best suited to be a third line winger.....

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Personally, I am a bit scared today considering the cap space we have today.

If we can not overpay and win out on good FAs, this will be a good day.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd take Statsny as a stop-gap at center, with the ability for him to work his way into something.

He is a UFA at 7mil. For the Avs fans thinking they will land something significant for the guy is laughable. He is a decent player but the writing is on the wall, he is on the outs and the Avs would gladly ship that caphit away (rather then let it playout on the 4th line and walk)

2nd if they win a round.
3rd for anything else.

I think most Leafs' fans here would be okay if the Leafs sent Liles, 2nd., 4th. and 4th. without blinking. Based on the Boland deal the comments were the only pick of value was the 2nd. rounder.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can David Clarkson please sign with Edmonton or Ottawa? I don't want to pay a 40 point guy 6M.

Nonis better not be stupid. I'd only sign that contract if we had unlimited compliance buy outs. :laugh:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Personally, I am a bit scared today considering the cap space we have today.

If we can not overpay and win out on good FAs, this will be a good day.

Will you eat hay.. in the bay?

:laugh:

sorry... I read your post, and in my head... it kept rhyming...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

2nd if they win a round.
3rd for anything else.

aves are going to want a 1st +. im not sure if a 1st + liles gets it down let alone making the first conditional. personally, i would move the first if he could be extended at a reasonable contract.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He was injured this year.

I know. Despite playing 41 games, he just never seemed to find his groove. Looked all disjointed on the ice.

Usually, with his slick skating and good puck work, he's able to draw defenders and create some space. He didn't really look himself

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Dreger Twitter:
Little doubt David Clarkson will get a 7 year term. Some gm's think he will get $6 mil or higher per

If Nonis is in on this Leafs just jumped out of the frying pan (Burke) into the fire (Nonis).

This would be just as bad as those retirement deals from the last CBA.

I am all for getting Clarkson, and believe the team desperately needs a player like him, but if that's the going rate for him, Nonis better pass. That's beyond ludicrous.

Nonis has a lot of cash to burn, but he better not do so non-sensically. Can't hamstring the team with albatross contracts moving forward.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Unless letting Bozak walk and getting an elite 1c a real deal C and D, I see no point in any of this.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
aves are going to want a 1st +. im not sure if a 1st + liles gets it down let alone making the first conditional. personally, i would move the first if he could be extended at a reasonable contract.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

No, stop trading our first round picks.... not worth for a declining center earning way to much.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

Let the Avs keep Stastny to play 4th line. If the Leafs think Stastny is their future they can wait until he's a UFA next year.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Woah, if Clarkson gets 6 mill and a seven year term what will Kessel demand. We should have extended him before free agency, lol. No wonder Bozak is asking for the moon, player agents know what's up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad