Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If I'm the Avs, I'm talking to Buffalo and looking to make a swap of O'Reilly for R. Miller. Varlamov would go the other way and one of Buffalo's d goes to the Avs. Possibly Sekera.

Would help both teams.

O'Reilly can't be traded until feb/march of next year.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Alternatively, I would try to get a pick from one of the teams in the 10-15 range. And I'd pay a lot to get it. I'd call everyone starting with Regier and work my way down to Snow. A couple of 2nds and a prospect, ever next year's first (depending on the pick). 2 picks in the top 15 would allow us to grab both a C and a dman. I dunno - every year I get excited at the prospect of something big happening on the draft floor, but nothing ever does. I really don't expect this year to be much different.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Alternatively, I would try to get a pick from one of the teams in the 10-15 range. And I'd pay a lot to get it. I'd call everyone starting with Regier and work my way down to Snow. A couple of 2nds and a prospect, ever next year's first (depending on the pick). 2 picks in the top 15 would allow us to grab both a C and a dman. I dunno - every year I get excited at the prospect of something big happening on the draft floor, but nothing ever does. I really don't expect this year to be much different.

I'm all for moving up in the draft but I would imagine that our second round picks will be used to get proven NHL talent rather than move up. I don't think acquiring more youngsters is the bold move MacT was going for.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
I'm all for moving up in the draft but I would imagine that our second round picks will be used to get proven NHL talent rather than move up. I don't think acquiring more youngsters is the bold move MacT was going for.

Yeah - I would take that too, only thing is, how good of a player can you really expect to get with 1 or 2 2nd round picks? Best chance of getting a decent player back would be with our 1st, but like MacT alluded to, it would be hard to get a player with the potential upside of the guy we could get at 7.

zeus3007*

That's also a very common refrain with Russian prospects, but the fact is, history would tell you that if a Russian player was really the most talented in the draft, teams will take him first (Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Yakupov, Malkin). The reason teams aren't considering him with a top 3 pick is because he's not at the level of the top 3 in this draft.

Kovalchuk was a clear step ahead of the other players he was drafted with. Ovechkin and Malkin went 1-2, and were significantly better than who was taken third (Cam Barker). Yakupov was playing in North America when drafted. Nichushkin actually has 2 years left on his KHL deal. Its an entirely different situation, like Tarasenko a few years back. Could have went top 5, but his contract overseas had him drop hard.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Here is the new ISS draft rankings released today.

1. NATE MACKINNON
2. SETH JONES
3. JONATHAN DROUIN
4. VALERY NICHUSHKIN
5. SASHA BARKOV
6. DARNELL NURSE
7. ELIAS LINDHOLM
8. NIKITA ZADOROV
9. SEAN MONAHAN
10. BO HORVAT
11. RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
12. CURTIS LAZAR
13. HUNTER SHINKARUK
14. RYAN PULOCK
15. ALEXANDER WENNBERG

After all the TBay and Nishikin talk, here is how I see it folding out come draft day:

Col - Jones
Fla - McKinnon
Tam - Nishkinin
Nash - Drouin
Car - Barkov
Cal - Monahon
Edm - ???

What worries me with this is Edmonton has Lindholm ranked pretty low when it comes to the centre depth in this draft... If they pass on Lindholm to take Horvat or Lazar I will be very disappointed.

Nishkinin going in the top 5 helps Edmonton a lot for getting a good centre man. If Barkov is available at #5 Edmonton better go banging on Carolina's door.

Would our 2nd + 7OV get us to #5?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kovalchuk was a clear step ahead of the other players he was drafted with. Ovechkin and Malkin went 1-2, and were significantly better than who was taken third (Cam Barker). Yakupov was playing in North America when drafted. Nichushkin actually has 2 years left on his KHL deal. Its an entirely different situation, like Tarasenko a few years back. Could have went top 5, but his contract overseas had him drop hard.

Didn't Nichuskin's contract get ripped up last week?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I have to say that if Calgary were willing to embrace a longterm rebuild, taking Nurse would be a great start. Spend your picks on D this year, and keep trying to tank for McDavid. (god that would suck)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

1. NATE MACKINNON
2. SETH JONES
3. JONATHAN DROUIN
4. VALERY NICHUSHKIN
5. SASHA BARKOV
6. DARNELL NURSE
7. ELIAS LINDHOLM
8. NIKITA ZADOROV
9. SEAN MONAHAN
10. BO HORVAT
11. RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
12. CURTIS LAZAR
13. HUNTER SHINKARUK
14. RYAN PULOCK
15. ALEXANDER WENNBERG

After all the TBay and Nishikin talk, here is how I see it folding out come draft day:

Col - Jones
Fla - McKinnon
Tam - Nishkinin
Nash - Drouin
Car - Barkov
Cal - Monahon
Edm - ???

What worries me with this is Edmonton has Lindholm ranked pretty low when it comes to the centre depth in this draft... If they pass on Lindholm to take Horvat or Lazar I will be very disappointed.

Nishkinin going in the top 5 helps Edmonton a lot for getting a good centre man. If Barkov is available at #5 Edmonton better go banging on Carolina's door.

If you believe this.. http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up .. than it is technically enough to get us to 4th. If Carolina is not in love with anyone at #5, the deal makes a lot of sense for them in a deep draft to add an early 2nd to only drop 2 spots.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

The Perfect Human*

1. NATE MACKINNON
2. SETH JONES
3. JONATHAN DROUIN
4. VALERY NICHUSHKIN
5. SASHA BARKOV
6. DARNELL NURSE
7. ELIAS LINDHOLM
8. NIKITA ZADOROV
9. SEAN MONAHAN
10. BO HORVAT
11. RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
12. CURTIS LAZAR
13. HUNTER SHINKARUK
14. RYAN PULOCK
15. ALEXANDER WENNBERG

Col - Jones
Fla - McKinnon
Tam - Nishkinin
Nash - Drouin
Car - Barkov
Cal - Monahon
Edm - ???

Who?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If you believe fans on the Trade board it would cost Gagner or possibly Eberle +7th to move into 4/5th

I doubt it would cost more than a single 2nd round pick. The Oilers are lucky to be in that #7 spot in a year when the tier of elite prospects is fairly widely acknowledged by most scouting services to be 7 players.

For a team outside the top 7 to move up into the top 7 picks might cost quite an overpay but not when you are a team already inside that group.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

1. NATE MACKINNON
2. SETH JONES
3. JONATHAN DROUIN
4. VALERY NICHUSHKIN
5. SASHA BARKOV
6. DARNELL NURSE
7. ELIAS LINDHOLM
8. NIKITA ZADOROV
9. SEAN MONAHAN
10. BO HORVAT
11. RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
12. CURTIS LAZAR
13. HUNTER SHINKARUK
14. RYAN PULOCK
15. ALEXANDER WENNBERG

Col - Jones
Fla - McKinnon
Tam - Nishkinin
Nash - Drouin
Car - Barkov
Cal - Monahon
Edm - ???

It sounds like flames fans would take Lindholm over Monahan because he has better first line center potential. Given the comments about wanting to compete for a playoff spot next year, I don't see them taking a defenceman. I also don't think Monahan is ready for a first or second line role in the NHL.

I just really want Monahan.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It sounds like flames fans would take Lindholm over Monahan because he has better first line center potential. Given the comments about wanting to compete for a playoff spot next year, I don't see them taking a defenceman. I also don't think Monahan is ready for a first or second line role in the NHL.

Agree with the CGY fans.. Lindholm you can build a team around (RNH\Backstrom) .. Monahan would be a solid 2nd liner\ complimentary forward (Landeskog\J.Staal).

My only fear this draft is us drafting Zadorov or Lazar at #7..

Dont go off the board and we will be walking away with a solid NHLer with whoever falls to us.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

It's driving me crazy that they pick right before us. I'll be so mad if Barkov and Lindholm go 4 and 5, and the Flames step up to take Monahan. I gotta stop reading Calgary Puck. It's not helping.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's driving me crazy that they pick right before us. I'll be so mad if Barkov and Lindholm go 4 and 5, and the Flames step up to take Monahan. I gotta stop reading Calgary Puck. It's not helping.

I don't think any of these guys are worth getting that upset about. I think there will be a surprise or two riser and faller and that's all tha tit will take.

I'm still maintaining that we will not be picking at 7 in any case. There are a lot of teams without 1st rounders (5) and better teams lower down may be facing cap issues. I think we trade down.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
3 times in the last 10 drafts, a team moved up from about where we are now to the 4-5 range. Two of the 3 times, the cost was a 2nd round pick in that year's draft. The other time, the team trading up didn't have a 2nd so they gave up their 2nd the following year plus a 3rd in that year's draft.

The history and value of these kinds of trade-up scenarios is very well established. But in all cases, the only way they happen at all is if the team trading back is comfortable with what they're going to get in the spot they trade down to. This is where I think Nichushkin's value and likely drop in draft position works in our favour because the team trading back to 7 knows they will probably come away with an elite talent (though maybe a different one than they would take at 4 or 5).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
3 times in the last 10 drafts, a team moved up from about where we are now to the 4-5 range. Two of the 3 times, the cost was a 2nd round pick in that year's draft. The other time, the team trading up didn't have a 2nd so they gave up their 2nd the following year plus a 3rd in that year's draft.

The history and value of these kinds of trade-up scenarios is very well established. But in all cases, the only way they happen at all is if the team trading back is comfortable with what they're going to get in the spot they trade down to. This is where I think Nichushkin's value and likely drop in draft position works in our favour because the team trading back to 7 knows they will probably come away with an elite talent (though maybe a different one than they would take at 4 or 5).

Agreed with the bolded, if Carolina really is looking for a D then there is virtually no risk for them to trade back to #7 and take that D there.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Agreed with the bolded, if Carolina really is looking for a D then there is virtually no risk for them to trade back to #7 and take that D there.

Didnt that management already come out and stated that they will be picking a forward?
Chance of EDM picking a Dman is a high as CAR IMO..

As long as Barkov doesnt end up a Flame I will be happy. If they pick Monahan o well..

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
As long as we don't waste our pick on Lazar/Horvat or *shudder* Shinkaruk, I'll be fine. Any of Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Nurse would be acceptable (although I prefer Monahan).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad