Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Human*

As long as we don't waste our pick on Lazar/Horvat or *shudder* Shinkaruk, I'll be fine. Any of Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Nurse would be acceptable (although I prefer Monahan).

Shocks me that he's still in the top-15 tbh. He has nice numbers, but I don't like his style of play. Too much along the lines of Hemsky/Eberle. I don't doubt he could one day be a 60+ pt player, but man the last thing the Oilers need is another perimeter guy.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
As long as we don't waste our pick on Lazar/Horvat or *shudder* Shinkaruk, I'll be fine. Any of Monahan, Lindholm, Nichushkin, Nurse would be acceptable (although I prefer Monahan).

Yes because prospects like Lazar and Horvat are a waste. God help the teams who select these two

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Shocks me that he's still in the top-15 tbh. He has nice numbers, but I don't like his style of play. Too much along the lines of Hemsky/Eberle. I don't doubt he could one day be a 60+ pt player, but man the last thing the Oilers need is another perimeter guy.

No doubt. Talk to me when he puts up 219 points in the three years in the WHL. It's not like he put up 49 goals as a 16 year old. This guy is garbage.

:sarcasm:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Agreed with the bolded, if Carolina really is looking for a D then there is virtually no risk for them to trade back to #7 and take that D there.

I don't know why everyone is so convinced Carolina is taking a D. Carolina has generally shied away from taking defensemen high in the draft in general since being burned by Johnson.

Murphy was the exception, but he was a player who had been ranked much higher heading into the draft then he ended up going. The fact that he hasn't really progressed well since draft day probably isn't going to do much to change their overall philosophy of avoiding defensemen in the 1st either.

The Perfect Human*

No doubt. Talk to me when he puts up 219 points in the three years in the WHL. It's not like he put up 49 goals as a 16 year old. This guy is garbage.

He was 17. And great analysis of his style of play BTW.

By that method Brandon Kozun should have been taken in the top-5 in 2009, and should have been an established NHL superstar by now. Where's he?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Kozun was 18/19 when he put up 40 goals, not 17. He also got 9 goals less. Kozun was also way smaller.

Why was this even a comparison?

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
He was 17. And great analysis of his style of play BTW.

By that method Brandon Kozun should have been taken in the top-5 in 2009, and should have been an established NHL superstar by now. Where's he?

Kozun had played 80 games and put up 20 goals and 35 assists over two seasons going into his draft year. What are you talking about?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He has talent, but there's a huge bust risk with him. Watching him play against any big, smart dman was just laughable. He tries the same triple shoulder fake every time and it never works. He can exploit weaker players, but I'm not sure if he can be successful in the NHL. He reminds me of a better Omark

So are the Eberle>Duchene ones

I don't think there's been a single person that said that has there?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Haven't seen much of Shinkaruk, but he seems like a guy who isn't very strong, isn't a fast skater and isn't really an elusive skater.

Not a great combination for an NHLer on the small side.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The problem with Shinkaruk is the leveling off of his stats this year. Less points, less goals, big minus. Was the Hat that much worse of a team as a whole this past year? If a guy doesn't have great size he better be burning up the league scoring wise.

OILFAN #81

Apr 14, 2006
San Jose, California
Top 5 in no particular order will be Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin.

I think Calgary takes Lindholm.

That leaves us with Monahan/Nurse. I think we will take Monahan.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Horvat is better then Nurse IMO. So I don't see why you'd be alright with Nurse but not Horvat. But then again Nurse wouldn't make my top 10 so i'm kind of bias. I'll be disappointed if he ends up an Oiler over some of the better prospects available.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Horvat is better then Nurse IMO. So I don't see why you'd be alright with Nurse but not Horvat. But then again Nurse wouldn't make my top 10 so i'm kind of bias. I'll be disappointed if he ends up an Oiler over some of the better prospects available.

Horvat could easily end up as the better player of the two, but I think Nurse has much more value in his ceiling than Horvat. Nurse sounds like he is the next best bet to be a #1 d-man after Jones.

Nurse could end up better than Klefbom and Schultz. Horvat won't end up better than the big 4 up front.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 36m

Regarding the draft, Maloney said he's already been offered deal to move up.

This worries me...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Horvat could easily end up as the better player of the two, but I think Nurse has much more value in his ceiling than Horvat. Nurse sounds like he is the next best bet to be a #1 d-man after Jones.

Nurse could end up better than Klefbom and Schultz. Horvat won't end up better than the big 4 up front.

Nurse could also never be anything more then an ahler. Huge risk/reward type of player. But looking at history I'd bet on him being in the bottom half of the d instead of the top half. Horvat is all but guaranteed to play as a 3rd line center. He also has a lot of competitiveness in his game which is something I put a high on the list when looking at prospects. One of the reasons I was so adamant we take Hall in his draft year over Seguin.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Shinkaruk doesn't play on the perimeter at all, this year without Etem he jammed the net pretty hard to hunt his points and goals. He definitely showed his his grit in the corners this year playing with inferior linemates (Valk isn't a slouch though) without Etem there to create all their line's chances off the rush. Of course when you're flying down the ice and scoring 100+ goals between two players generated mostly by speed and hands you aren't going to be in the corners that much, but that was last year. He changed his style of play this year to adapt to his situation. If anything the questions should be surrounding whether or not his size will prevent him from playing this way at the next level.

Last edited:

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
It's driving me crazy that they pick right before us. I'll be so mad if Barkov and Lindholm go 4 and 5, and the Flames step up to take Monahan. I gotta stop reading Calgary Puck. It's not helping.

If any team is going to go off the board and choose somebody random, it'll be them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were like: "oh hey, let's muck up the Oilers plans and choose Lazar 6th overall!" Or something like that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If any team is going to go off the board and choose somebody random, it'll be them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were like: "oh hey, let's muck up the Oilers plans and choose Lazar 6th overall!" Or something like that.

I could see them taking Horvat over Monahan at 6 TBH.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The problem with Shinkaruk is the leveling off of his stats this year. Less points, less goals, big minus. Was the Hat that much worse of a team as a whole this past year? If a guy doesn't have great size he better be burning up the league scoring wise.

Well they were missing a pretty big name in Etem. Take a 60 goal guy who is strong and fast and loves to go to the net out of the equation and a small, skilled perimeter player like Shinkaruk becomes less effective/has less room out there.

Bottom line, I have no idea why his name is even brought up in this thread. The absolute last guy the Oil would take. Not even sure they'd take him if he fell to 37th.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm telling you guys that Craig Button has the inside track on the Flames' preferences because his brother is their head scout:

2009: Tim Erixon - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 23rd overall by Calgary
2010: Pick traded
2011: Sven Baertschi - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 13th overall by Calgary
2012: Mark Jankowski - ranked 14th in Button's final rankings, drafted 21st overall by Calgary

He has Nichushkin at 5 this year, so I'm thinking the Flames have a decent chance of taking him at 6.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I'm telling you guys that Craig Button has the inside track on the Flames' preferences because his brother is their head scout:

2009: Tim Erixon - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 23rd overall by Calgary
2010: Pick traded
2011: Sven Baertschi - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 13th overall by Calgary
2012: Mark Jankowski - ranked 14th in Button's final rankings, drafted 21st overall by Calgary

He has Nichushkin at 5 this year, so I'm thinking the Flames have a decent chance of taking him at 6.
Since he voided his contract, there's almost no way Nish falls past the top 4. It looks like Tampa will grab him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad