Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm telling you guys that Craig Button has the inside track on the Flames' preferences because his brother is their head scout:

2009: Tim Erixon - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 23rd overall by Calgary
2010: Pick traded
2011: Sven Baertschi - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 13th overall by Calgary
2012: Mark Jankowski - ranked 14th in Button's final rankings, drafted 21st overall by Calgary

He has Nichushkin at 5 this year, so I'm thinking the Flames have a decent chance of taking him at 6.

Many teams have a decent chance of taking Nichushkin. He's a great prospect.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm telling you guys that Craig Button has the inside track on the Flames' preferences because his brother is their head scout:

2009: Tim Erixon - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 23rd overall by Calgary
2010: Pick traded
2011: Sven Baertschi - ranked 10th in Button's final rankings, drafted 13th overall by Calgary
2012: Mark Jankowski - ranked 14th in Button's final rankings, drafted 21st overall by Calgary

He has Nichushkin at 5 this year, so I'm thinking the Flames have a decent chance of taking him at 6.

Button is second in command for the Flames. I think he has some inside info but not enough to say something like "Because Monahan is 1 spot higher then Lindholm they will take Monahan". We already know who the top guns are but it might shed light on their later round picks. For example Morgan Klimchuk is ranked 17th so maybe the flames like him with their second pick rather than hope he's available at 30. That would be hilarious :)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Shinkaruk doesn't play on the perimeter at all, this year without Etem he jammed the net pretty hard to hunt his points and goals. He definitely showed his his grit in the corners this year playing with inferior linemates (Valk isn't a slouch though) without Etem there to create all their line's chances off the rush. Of course when you're flying down the ice and scoring 100+ goals between two players generated mostly by speed and hands you aren't going to be in the corners that much, but that was last year. He changed his style of play this year to adapt to his situation. If anything the questions should be surrounding whether or not his size will prevent him from playing this way at the next level.

I disagree. He's definitely a perimeter player. As I said earlier, he's good at exploiting bad players, but he gets pushed around way too easily by better players. If he turns out like Hemsky, whoever takes him should be happy. I can definitely see him as Shremp 2.0 though

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Button's Mock Draft has Calgary picking Monahan though, so is that misdirection or an actual prediction? I would say misdirection. I think they prefer Lindholm.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Since he voided his contract, there's almost no way Nish falls past the top 4. It looks like Tampa will grab him.

I wouldn't draft him in the top 6 even without the Russian factor. Also, he will return to Dynamo if he doesn't make his NHL team.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Button's Mock Draft has Calgary picking Monahan though, so is that misdirection or an actual prediction? I would say misdirection. I think they prefer Lindholm.

But Button has Nichushkin ranked higher, at 5th overall, implying he thinks Nichushkin is a better prospect. Which would not only justify, but show support for Calgary taking him if he was available.

Or this is just one of those internet conspiracy theories I've read about.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I am confident that someone ahead of us picks Nichushkin. That gives us leftovers of Monahan/Lindholm. If someone ahead of us picks the second Dman, that gives us the possibility of picking either Monahan or Lindolm.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I am confident that someone ahead of us picks Nichushkin. That gives us leftovers of Monahan/Lindholm. If someone ahead of us picks the second Dman, that gives us the possibility of picking either Monahan or Lindolm.

The disturbing part is that all signs point to us taking Horvat or Lazar over Lindholm.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I can't fathom not picking Lindholm if he's the last of the centers available (Monahan, Barkov). Everything points to him being a fairly good fit for us.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I think we have to face the facts we aren't going to select Lindholm. It sucks but it doesn't sound like it's happening.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I think we have to face the facts we aren't going to select Lindholm. It sucks but it doesn't sound like it's happening.

There are no facts to face, it's all speculation. All we know for certain is that EDM ideally wants a centre at 7 (based on MacT's comments).

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Yep. I'll be ok with it as long as we get someone nearly as good and it doesn't end up where we pass on a #1C for a #3C

We will get Monahan.......and if he is gone Horvat is a fine consolation prize. He's ranked 10 on ISS new ranking so taking him at 7 isn't much of a reach (if at all).

You win with players like Horvat....everybody says Horvat will be a NHL player and at minimum 3rd line. Getting that at 7 with great upside (his offense really came on in 2nd half and playoffs) - we couldn't ask for much more.

And he fills a lot of needs for us going forward. Great all 3 zones, great on the dot, great leadership (apparently), great compete, all the intangibles that this board seems to be screaming for.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yes because prospects like Lazar and Horvat are a waste. God help the teams who select these two

If a team selects a center who can't even score PPG in junior 7th overall. Then they've certainly wasted the pick. Wasted pick=/=complete bust, it means a wasted opportunity to bring in someone with actual upside.

We will get Monahan.......and if he is gone Horvat is a fine consolation prize. He's ranked 10 on ISS new ranking so taking him at 7 isn't much of a reach (if at all).

You win with players like Horvat....everybody says Horvat will be a NHL player and at minimum 3rd line. Getting that at 7 with great upside (his offense really came on in 2nd half and playoffs) - we couldn't ask for much more.

And he fills a lot of needs for us going forward. Great all 3 zones, great on the dot, great leadership (apparently), great compete, all the intangibles that this board seems to be screaming for.

I would puke if we took Horvat over Lindholm. Seriously, they had similar offensive production, but Lindholm was playing in the SEL! Everything I've read about Lindholm indicates that he's strong in all 3 zones, is great at faceoffs, is very physical for his size, and has the intangibles. Every year there's a player who skyrockets up the rankings with a late season performance, and someone ends up taking him too high. 2012 it was Lindholm, 2011 it was Schiefele, 2010 McIlrath, 2009 OEL, 2008 Bailey. The only good pick among these was OEL, the rest of them missed out on IMO clearly superior prospects/players. You have to wonder if these guys actually turned the corner or just had an extended hot streak. History indicates that Horvat is more likely the latter.

Last edited:

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
If a team selects a center who can't even score PPG in junior 7th overall. Then they've certainly wasted the pick. Wasted pick=/=complete bust, it means a wasted opportunity to bring in someone with actual upside.

The last 40 games of the regular season and then playoffs, Horvat was ppg (last 40 reg season 25 goals and 45 points. Playoffs 21 games 16 goals and 23 points).

That is what you want to see in prospects.....progression and development. Here is a writeup from lastwordonsports:

Horvat has very good vision, good passing skills, and excellent hockey sense. This makes him an effective playmaker in the offensive zone. He goes to the dirty areas of the ice winning board battles and taking the puck to the front of the net. He also likes to establish his front of the net presence where he can unleash a heavy shot with a good release from the slot. Horvat has good hands and is able to control the puck effectively on the rush or off the cycle game. He protects the puck extremely well, and makes smart plays in the offensive zone. Not the fanciest player, Horvat creates offence through simple, smart, straight ahead plays, and getting to prime scoring areas. Its the type of game that will translate effectively to the next level, so long as Horvat continues to bulk up and add strength as his opponents get bigger and stronger in pro hockey.

Horvat is a quick skater, and he has greatly improved his speed and acceleration this year. What was once a weakness has now become a strength and shows Horvat’s dedication to continue improving his game. Horvat’s good balance and strength on the puck allows him to fight through checks. He could use work on his agility, and his edgework could still use improvement, but Horvat’s skating overall has improved greatly since last season.

Horvat is an effective defensive presence. He is extremely effective on faceoffs and on the penalty kill. He cuts down passing lanes, blocks shots, and plays a very responsible game and is hard on the backcheck. Knights’ coach Dale Hunter has not been afraid to use Horvat in any situation and he plays big minutes against top lines. Horvat works hard and wins board battles as well. He’s not afraid to throw his body around, but he’s not really a huge hitter either, he hits not to get himself out of position and throw thunderous checks, but with the purpose of playing smart hockey and separating his opponent from the puck.

Horvat’s game and style of play is reminiscent of Patrice Bergeron. However this is a stylistic comparison only. In terms of potential, Horvat can be an effective top 6 centre in the NHL, strong in all aspects of the game, and capable of logging minutes against top lines, on the penalty kill, and providing scoring and playing the powerplay. He can be one of those versatile centres that can do it all, and any team needs to be a true contender.

Oct 15, 2008
Horvat doesnt seem to be that physical. I dont know if he even hit anyone in the Memorial Cup. I would rather have Lazar tbh. He hits something every shift.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
My favorite thing about Horvat is how he at times looks like a 3rd defenceman at the top of the crease. We literally have no down the middle that does that.

On another note, if Gauthier somehow drops past 20, I would move a lot to acquire him. The kids is huge and a beast defensively.

Nuge
Monahan
Gauthier

That's good enough center depth to last us 10-15 years.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Horvat doesnt seem to be that physical. I dont know if he even hit anyone in the Memorial Cup. I would rather have Lazar tbh. He hits something every shift.

Lazar definitely hits more than Horvat but I think I'd slightly lean towards Horvat for overall package. But it is close

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
What about a dman? Lots of them. Nurse, Pulock and Zadarov! Just a suggestion I know these guys won't help us right away but still we need to get some good dman and some point!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Aren't we pretty much guaranteed one of Lindholm/Monahan now?

Not sure what the problem is in that case, you just pick which ever one Calgary doesn't take.

If Nichushkin falls out of the top 6, then you take him.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Aren't we pretty much guaranteed one of Lindholm/Monahan now?

Not sure what the problem is in that case, you just pick which ever one Calgary doesn't take.

If Nichushkin falls out of the top 6, then you take him.

I think the biggest thing that scares Oiler fans is management's assessment of Lindholm. MacT has given the name of his apparent top 3 centres and we haven't heard anything on the Lindholm front.

Personally I would love for us to take Lindholm, let him score 70 points and rub it in the flames faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad