2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
25_mikhail_grigorenko_ep.jpg

That said, there's no way Darcy is trading Hodgson without an overpayment, so it won't happen.

Yeah, Grigs could be that guy too, but there's sooooo many question marks.

Also, yeah, it isn't going to happen anyways

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I feel like this needs to be reiterated.

Trading up from #8 to #4 would likely require at least a similar package, likely a little more since you're reaching into the more elite part of the draft. 2 2nds, 2 3rds might be enough to get it done--without putting the Minny 1st in play.

Different quality top 5/10 this year vs 2008

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A couple of points:

1 - There is a draft thread, mostly to discuss the players available but hey, trade talk for picks is in there too.

2 - How exactly does this EA Sports fantasy happen? First round picks are the coin of the realm in the post '04 lockout world. Top three picks don't simply get dealt now -- there has been one since the lockout and that was Burke being a dumbass to get Kessel and it bit him in his big Irish ass. That's one out of the last 27 top three picks total. Sure, Regier may dream to do something unheralded, like say put a competitive, entertaining team on the ice for next season or scale K2 without oxygen or paddle a canoe from Miami to the Azores, but hoping for it doesn't really make it happen.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
getting into the top 3 would cost too much for it to be worth it.

NHL drafts aren't like NFL drafts. there isn't many positions so it doesn't warrant changing picks to acquire maximum picks while filling needed positions. Most NHL teams that are drafting top 3 need at least one player in every position.

the top picking teams have a chance to draft a stud player who will most likely be their future star for the next 10 years. you think they're going to give that up? It would take a monumental overpayment to do so.

At best you might have a chance to trade up a couple spots for a 5th or 6th pick while giving up one of your second rounders.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd trade Hodgson in a second to get in the top 4 with potential to land Barkov. A Hodgson is a lot easier to acquire than a Barkov.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Part of how Burke was able to trade up for the Sedins is he was able to (incorrectly) convince one of the other teams in the equation that the Sedins wouldn't come over to the NHL unless they were on the same team. Then there's the correct belief that the two together are greater than the sum of their individual parts. Without those elements, with the level of draft this is, and with the increased importance of top players on ELC's, the cost of doing this -- if even possible -- would be too ridiculous to consider.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I'd trade Hodgson in a second to get in the top 4 with potential to land Barkov. A Hodgson is a lot easier to acquire than a Barkov.

I don't think Barkov's ceiling is enough to warrant trading Hodgson. I think he will be a better player...but not that much better than Cody.

If Buffalo is trading up it needs to be for one of the two Halifax players.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
No idea what Florida would want for their pick. Tampa...on the other hand...I could see moving down for the right price (Myers +)

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

I could maybe be talked into Hodgson for #4 and something like a 2nd or later, but to me Hodgson and anything more significant (1st or good prospect) isn't worth it.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To get into the top three, no pick or player should be untouchable.

Living in complete fantasyland - would we be one of the few teams with the assets to get 2nd AND 3rd and take both of them ?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Why couldn't our genius team just tanked the freaking season after the trade deadline, instead of winning 8 of their last 12! Then we'd already have a top 3 pick.

Freaking Buffalo never smart enough to suck correctly

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Carolina is not trading down, neither are the other 7 teams.

It will be between Nichushkin, Nurse, Shinkaruk Ristolainen or a reach imo at #8

Rutherford has stated that their are 6 elite prospects in the draft and that they will get their guy at #5, Feaster has noted that he will not move back, well the top 4 are obviously not moving down.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
agreed... we will draft at #8 or trade #8 for a player.

trading up or down both seem out of the question to me.
trading up is going to be impossible
trading down is allowing other teams to dictate who we pick

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Darnell Nurse would be a great addition to the Sabres back end. His size, grit, skating ability, offensive ability would make him a premier player for the Sabres.

The guy who does Red Line Report was on XM yesterday talking about how, in addition to his impressive physical tools, Nurse is a "rink rat" and a "student of the game." Sounds like he eats and breathes hockey. We need more players like that.

Also, he seemed to believe someone will be intoxicated by Nicushkin's skill, and pick him in the top-5 or 6.

ZeroPT*

What're your thoughts on Wennberg? Would you take him at 8? Kinda reminds me of zibanejad in 2011, I would consider it he's been AMAZING this year!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Carolina is not trading down, neither are the other 7 teams.

It will be between Nichushkin, Nurse, Shinkaruk Ristolainen or a reach imo at #8

Rutherford has stated that their are 6 elite prospects in the draft and that they will get their guy at #5, Feaster has noted that he will not move back, well the top 4 are obviously not moving down.

There is a 3.6% chance that DR can move up. We can dream.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
I think Darnell Nurse would be a great addition to the Sabres back end. His size, grit, skating ability, offensive ability would make him a premier player for the Sabres.

Don't think see the Oilers passing on him at #7 if he's there but if they do, he's certainly someone to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad