2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I was MacKinnon all year but now I am starting to think Drouin is the best forward in the draft. He does everything.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I was MacKinnon all year but now I am starting to think Drouin is the best forward in the draft. He does everything.

I haven't seen them play much, but what I have read about them I feel like MacKinnon is Toews and Drouin is Kane. Which would you rather have?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Was that the perception then?
For the most part.

Everyone knew Stamkos was going to be a big time goal scorer and there was going to be some good defensemen but no one anticipated how good Pietrangelo, Doughty and Karlsson were going to be. Some of the D men in this draft could surprise people the same way.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Good analysis of draft-pick-only trades to determine the value GMs assign to each pick. The writer looked only at trades involving only draft picks where the draft pick position was already determined at the time of the trade--i.e., no trades for future picks whose value is unknown at the time. Relying on this analysis, in a trade involving only picks, Buffalo would have to give up picks 8, 38, and 69 for Nashville's 4th overall pick.

Read the article, it's worth your time.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Good analysis of draft-pick-only trades to determine the value GMs assign to each pick. The writer looked only at trades involving only draft picks where the draft pick position was already determined at the time of the trade--i.e., no trades for future picks whose value is unknown at the time. Relying on this analysis, in a trade involving only picks, Buffalo would have to give up picks 8, 38, and 69 for Nashville's 4th overall pick.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Interesting. Would definitely give up that hypothetical value for Barkov.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Different quality top 5/10 this year vs 2008

Possible, but that's the only true reference to look back at. So how much is the difference in talent worth is completely guesswork. There just aren't enough top 10 draft pick trades to get a real good value for trade value.

That's even less than what the Isles got for trading down. So if this is the basis for a deal, you could toss another pick in there and still come out ahead IMO.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Good find, but I don't think such a general value system is really useful here where the 4th overall is probably closer in value to a 1st than a 4th in an average draft. I'd jump at the chance to give that up for Barkov/Drouin but I don't see a quantity of decent picks being enough in this case.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Im getting deja vu from 2006. MacKinnon has been highly touted for years (Kessel) and Jones has seen his stock rise in the last couple (Johnson). Not saying their careers will play out the same though.

I like Lindholm or Nurse at our pick. That being said I will echo what many have said that there are so many good players around this year with a range of skillsets and playing styles that I will be happy with pretty much anyone picked!

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Tampa will want Myers, the 16th and a 2nd. Might not be enough.

Florida will want a lot, maybe Ennis, 8th, and Larsson.

If those two deals are offered do we bite?

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY

So would I but not sure about Florida or Tampa.

Vanek-mackinnon-drouin
Stafford-Hodgson-Tropp
Ott-Grigorenko-foligno

That's a nice top 9. Maybe move Foligno to center Ott-Foligno-Tropp if Grigorenko can play wing with Hodgson and Stafford.

I'd like too see stafford get moved at the draft. Maybe the Burmistrov trade can happen. Can never have to many centers.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If we acquire rebuilding assets for Vanek, Miller and Stafford leading up to the draft, I don't think this is as impossible as some would think. Sure the team would be gutted, leading to the period of suffering referred to by Regier...but perhaps this is the type of scenario (far-fetched as it may be) that's included in their vision. I would be willing to overpay to make this happen since the Mac/Drouin combo's chemistry would multiply their value and provide a clear core concept moving forward.

To Florida for 2nd overall:
Sekera/Ennis/Hodgson
8th overall
McNabb/McCabe/Pysyk/38th overall
(2nd rounder from additional trades)

To Tampa for 3rd overall:
Sekera/Ennis/Hodgson
16th overall
McNabb/McCabe/Pysyk
38th/55th overall

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Sabres forging a plan

The Sabres announced Monday that Darcy Regier, on the job since 1997, will return as general manager, a question left unanswered in the wake of coach Lindy Ruff’s firing during the season. “Terry is asking for [us] to try a lot of things,’’ Regier said, noting that owner Terry Pegula is looking for multiple methods to turn the Sabres into a Cup contender. “He is in search of creating a Stanley Cup champion. It may require some suffering.’’ That last line will linger with a fan base that has not seen a Cup since franchise doors opened in October 1970. Fans buy into hope, not suffering. Regier has stockpiled a bunch of draft picks, some of which, he hinted, could be spun off for high-end talent, similar to how the Kings acquired Mike Richards and Jeff Carter to morph into a Cup winner last year. The Richards deal included a second-round pick to Philly, while the Carter acquisition sent a first-round pick to Columbus.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-smackdowns/pV8AimpnHx6fqqeihDj5UO/story.html

While all of Regier's statements this past week indicate he wants to move up in the draft, it's not a foregone conclusion that he'll use all of his draft picks on draft selections. His comments at the trade deadline about how draft picks have become the "currency of today's NHL", along with the admissions in his press conference about needing to add "top players", make me think like Dupont that he could very well be exploring how to package some of his high picks in a trade for a proven player with NHL experience and in his mid-20s to fit the age group of his core. Regier made the same comparisons Dupont points out about how high-draft pick players were used by LA to get proven vets - and, if he realizes that other than Miller and Vanek, he isn't going to get much in return for the rest of the veterans on his roster, he may be planning to offer his 1st rounders.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
From everything I have read about Nichushkin it seems to indicate that he is on the same level as the top 4. The only time I have read otherwise is on this board. I have only seen him play at the WJC (he looked good to me), so I am only basing this on what I have read from all the draft experts.

But, if he is available (and the other top 7 are gone) then I think we should take him as otherwise you are getting a much lower quality (two tiers down), safer player, such as Shinkaruk. We have the extra picks for insurance and time on our side to wait the two years for his contract to expire. Assuming he is as good as all the draft experts say (and not as limited potentially as a few on this board say), the remaining risk is that he won't come over in two years, although he has indicated he wants to play in the NHL.

If the top 7 leaves us Nichushkin and we pass, I prefer we take Shinkaruk, although I won't be super stoked.

For our second pick, assuming the top 10 play out as expected, I'd be happy with any of Horvat, Domi, Zadorov, Mantha or Hagg. Even Erne, Wennberg or Rychel wouldn't upset me too much.

I also like Duclair with one of seconds. Obviously, I prefer the St. Louis pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad