2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
IF Nichushkin is there at 8, and we DON'T take him i will flip ****, if his name was Kyle Murphy and he was born in rochester, he would be up there with the top prospects in the draft, the guy will be a stud. Just because a couple money grabbing idiots bolted to the KHL doesn't mean that ALL Russian players automatically will do so.With Nichushkin I haven't read one article that talks about his work ethic (lack there of) attitude, he does have a contract for two more years in the KHL, just think about it for 2 years instead of playing against other 17-20 year olds he will be playing consistently in the 2nd best league in the world.
I actually love the kid, if darcy skips on him due to the "Russian factor" i might actually stop supporting buffalo (obviously not).
This article just reinforces my opinion http://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-or-bust-for-nichushkin/

He's been debated throughout this thread and jfb argues it better than me, but I wouldn't take him, not because of the Russian factor but the fact that he only has one move and it probably won't work on the smaller ice in the NHL (and with better defensemen). He doesn't play a team game and often disappears. The fact that he won't be over for at least two years is also discouraging.

ZeroPT*

He's been debated throughout this thread and jfb argues it better than me, but I wouldn't take him, not because of the Russian factor but the fact that he only has one move and it probably won't work on the smaller ice in the NHL (and with better defensemen). He doesn't play a team game and often disappears. The fact that he won't be over for at least two years is also discouraging.

Similarly to how ovechkin was? His only move was cutting in from the left and shooting on net, gradually defenders figured out his game and shot that down, it took a couple years and he adjusted, he's a more versatile scorer now, I'm not saying that nichushkin is ovechkin but they are very similar situations, if one guy can adjust his game why can't the other?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
IF Nichushkin is there at 8, and we DON'T take him i will flip ****, if his name was Kyle Murphy and he was born in rochester, he would be up there with the top prospects in the draft, the guy will be a stud. Just because a couple money grabbing idiots bolted to the KHL doesn't mean that ALL Russian players automatically will do so.With Nichushkin I haven't read one article that talks about his work ethic (lack there of) attitude, he does have a contract for two more years in the KHL, just think about it for 2 years instead of playing against other 17-20 year olds he will be playing consistently in the 2nd best league in the world.
I actually love the kid, if darcy skips on him due to the "Russian factor" i might actually stop supporting buffalo (obviously not).
This article just reinforces my opinion http://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-or-bust-for-nichushkin/

There are reasons not to take him besides being Russian. It'd be pretty silly to think that's the main reason he wasn't taken if Darcy skips him, considering he just took Grigorenko.

What if Monahan is also sitting there? Perhaps you would prefer Nichushkin, but can you really argue that it'd be crazy and anti-Russian to pick Monahan instead. Lindholm? Nurse? There are plenty of possibilities -- some remote -- for arguably superior prospects being available at that spot.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It's also worth noting that if Nicushkin were named "Kyle Murphy" from Rochester, his game would be completely different because he'd be playing on a different sized ice surface

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Similarly to how ovechkin was? His only move was cutting in from the left and shooting on net, gradually defenders figured out his game and shot that down, it took a couple years and he adjusted, he's a more versatile scorer now, I'm not saying that nichushkin is ovechkin but they are very similar situations, if one guy can adjust his game why can't the other?

No, not at all. Ovechkin was worlds ahead of where Nichushkin was when he was 18.

ZeroPT*

No, not at all. Ovechkin was worlds ahead of where Nichushkin was when he was 18.

In no way am I comparing there skill levels, I'm comparing both of there situations, Nichushkin has one move where he shields the puck and drives the net like a mad man, ovechkin would cut in from the left boards, and fire a shot on net, gradually defensmen adjusted and so did he, he is a more versatile scorer, I think Nichushkin can do the same. I'm not saying Nichushkin is Ovechkin.

ZeroPT*

There are reasons not to take him besides being Russian. It'd be pretty silly to think that's the main reason he wasn't taken if Darcy skips him, considering he just took Grigorenko.

What if Monahan is also sitting there? Perhaps you would prefer Nichushkin, but can you really argue that it'd be crazy and anti-Russian to pick Monahan instead. Lindholm? Nurse? There are plenty of possibilities -- some remote -- for arguably superior prospects being available at that spot.

Id be shocked if Monahan and Linholm were available, If they are then no question you take them, I just don't believe they will be available.As for Nurse I feel as if our prospect pool' main strength is defense also Nurse is a bit of a project and needs to refine his game, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a d-man but if we did I would prefer Ristolainen (Or the BDA at 16). As for Shinkaruk I feel as if he has a very very bright future ahead of him, just not with the sabres, we already have players with similar styles (almost a spitting image of ennis just bigger).

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What does HS's game have in common with DR's? They seem completely different to me, in terms of style of play at least. HS is much more of a leader, much bigger, faster, has a better shot. He's been compared to Duchene and a few others of that ilk by people who have followed him closely. I've only seen highlight videos online, so I'm only going by scouting reports from others, mind you.

I definitely share your skepticism about 80 points. But any sane person would with Roy too: Roy is an 80 pt player like Stafford is a 30 goal scorer. They're both not either of those, those were fluke years.

Anyway, I'm probably just trying to pump myself up about him because there are several scenarios where he could be the best forward available, not counting Nichushkin.

That's pretty unfair to the player Roy was in juniors. Nobody was questioning Roy's leadership abilities when he was captaining his team to the memorial cup.

If we end up with Hunter Shinkaruk, ugh.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Hockey News has Shinkaruk listed as 5'11" weighing in at 175 pounds. He turns 19 on October 13. After a breakout year 2 years ago with 49 goals he tailed off to a still respectable but not awe inspiring 37. While he might merit some consideration at 16, his size, late birthday, lack of progress in his draft year and his defensive deficiencies do not do enough for me to want him at number 8.
As far as Nicushkin is concerned I think he is a gamble we should not take. Yes he is a huge player with a great drive to the net. I have seen him only a few times on tv and on high light film. But with no expressed desire I have seen to come to the NHL and only 15 goals and 13 assists in the 77 games he has played in the last 2 years leading up to this April we are talking only possible potential--he has not dominated. Yes some of his time was in the KHL-18 games-and yes he might be a star-but it is a higher risk adventure than I would wish to embark on.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Quick question(s), who do you guys see as being a wildcard? or maybe falling off the bottom, The guy that has the skills but teams don't want to take a risk on? Anyone to keep an eye on?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Any chance Nurse drops to us? Seems to fit a pretty big need organizationally.

From Button's top 14 mock thread in the prospects forum:

As I mentioned in another thread, Craig and I sat together for quite a few games in Sochi. We always have fun talking about a few of the prospects because we see a some of them very differently. I'm not nearly as high on Morin as him and I have not spoken to a single scout who has Morin in that range. Conversely, Craig is not as high on Bowey as me.

As for Nurse, he has improved but I still have not spoken to a scout who sees him as a top 10. He is not a top 10 for me. I know a few guys are not fans at all and don't even see him as a first rounder. "Dumb" is the most common word used to describe him by the scouts who are not big fans. Note: I'm not saying that there are not some scouts who might like him as a top 10, just saying I haven't spoken to any who do.

A wide range of opinions on Many players in this years draft. It's going to be an interesting one to watch unfold.

Of course, it depends on which scouts do not see him as a top 10 prospect, but it looks like he could be a draft day faller.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
From Button's top 14 mock thread in the prospects forum:

Of course, it depends on which scouts do not see him as a top 10 prospect, but it looks like he could be a draft day faller.

Wow, thats harsh. Am I right in saying his best case is Campbell but worst case is Brennan?

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Here's a question no one has seemed to have asked.

If Nichushkin is available with the Minnesota pick, would you consider taking him? Not that I foresee him dropping that far, but it's certainly possible when you consider the uncertainty surrounding him.

It's a no-brainer in your scenario to take Valeri at 16. However, like you mentioned he won't be there in time for our second selection.

I think because of the Minny pick, we can afford to take Nichushkin with the 8th.

Best case scenario, he comes over to the NHL and he's the player he's projected to be. Hell, as long as he becomes a solid NHL'er its a good pick.

Worst case, he doesn't come over and/or is a bust.

Either way Buffalo still has another first rounder in their system from the draft.

So when you look back at it and Nichushkin is a bust, things don't look as bad as the Zagrapan, Kryukov and Persson drafts when you get nothing for a 1st.

I think it's the perfect time for Buffalo to get a bit ballsy and go for a risk in Nichushkin at 8.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
I wonder with Nich if we will see a similar scenario to Grigs where he slides down past 10...the question is do we trade up to ~11-12 from 16 to grab him there?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It's a no-brainer in your scenario to take Valeri at 16. However, like you mentioned he won't be there in time for our second selection.

I think because of the Minny pick, we can afford to take Nichushkin with the 8th.

Best case scenario, he comes over to the NHL and he's the player he's projected to be. Hell, as long as he becomes a solid NHL'er its a good pick.

Worst case, he doesn't come over and/or is a bust.

Either way Buffalo still has another first rounder in their system from the draft.

So when you look back at it and Nichushkin is a bust, things don't look as bad as the Zagrapan, Kryukov and Persson drafts when you get nothing for a 1st.

I think it's the perfect time for Buffalo to get a bit ballsy and go for a risk in Nichushkin at 8.

Kind of like how Grig wouldn't be there at 12 last year. Players ALWAYS fall, it's just a matter of who and how far. Happens every single year.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Nichushkin is such a peculiar case, I wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him at 8, but you just don't know how he will turn out. I love his skating ability, speed, his shot and he's already a beast on the boards.

It all depends on how he matures I suppose, his decision making was a lot like Armia's 1 to 2 years ago where he would try to do too much instead of making the simple plays. He also has serious tunnel vision, but is capable of making setting up nice passes which is frustrating.

It's not an awful pick and if he's the best forward on the board, I think you have to take him. I'm just hoping we don't have to make that choice and Lindholm drops to us instead. :naughty:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Nichushkin is such a peculiar case, I wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him at 8, but you just don't know how he will turn out. I love his skating ability, speed, his shot and he's already a beast on the boards.

It all depends on how he matures I suppose, his decision making was a lot like Armia's 1 to 2 years ago where he would try to do too much instead of making the simple plays. He also has serious tunnel vision, but is capable of making setting up nice passes which is frustrating.

It's not an awful pick and if he's the best forward on the board, I think you have to take him. I'm just hoping we don't have to make that choice and Lindholm drops to us instead. :naughty:

It would be a great value pick at 8. I find him to be one of the better pure talents that is not MacKinnon, Jones and Druin. I like him as much as Barkov and Lindholm. If he's there I don't see Darcy passing. Especially with the last few years European explosion within the teams drafting patterns.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'd send a second round pick to move up 3-4 spots like that all day long. It'll more than likely take more than a second round pick to move up in this draft, though.

I agree on both your points.

I was shocked to read that it only took a 2nd round pick and the 8th two times in the past to move up to 4th. Thought it would be more.

For that I would try to make a deal with Florida for the 2nd pick. What would that take?

Florida 2nd and Upshall (contract buyout- for $4.67 million and dependent on his mod. NTC).
to
Buffalo for 8th, and what? (another 1st or three 2nd's?)

I think DR/Pegula want what I want: MacKinnon or Barkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad