2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
So what should we know about Shinkaruk, Jfb and others who are familiar with his game.
I'd pass on him, I think.
One night you hear that he's amazing and the next you hear that he's afraid.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
at this point, we may get stuck with him if we keep winning and end up with a pick 8-10 :shakehead

2013_WJC_Elias_Lindholm_Sweden.jpg

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
He's likely not going in the 8-10 range though.

I agree I feel like the draft will go something along the lines of

Jones 1-2
MacKinnon 1-3
Drouin 2-4
Barkov 3-4
Monahan 5-7
Lindholm 5-7
Nichushkin 4-12
Nurse 7-10
Ristolainen 8-12
Shinkaruk 8-12

So if we're 8th-10th, we're looking at Nichushkin, Nurse, Ristolainen, or Shinkaruk most likely.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If we're out of the top 5...

Get me a bruising..stay at home D-man... Whoever that may be.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Just learned Donovan McNabb is his Uncle.
Yes, but only by marriage.
His whole family is very athletic though, as his dad was a WR for Hamilton of the CFL, his mom played CIS basketball, his older sister played basketball at Bowling Green and Oregon, and his younger sister will likely follow in the same path as she's already a standout at various levels internationally for Canada.
If you like athleticism, he's got it.
He's also somewhat local too, having grown up in Hamilton despite moving to the GTHL for a bit (the level of the GTHL is higher than the SCTA loop).

I like his development curve more than anything else though.
He went from looking like he was nothing more than hype to putting it together in a big way.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, but only by marriage.
His whole family is very athletic though, as his dad was a WR for Hamilton of the CFL, his mom played CIS basketball, his older sister played basketball at Bowling Green and Oregon, and his younger sister will likely follow in the same path as she's already a standout at various levels internationally for Canada.
If you like athleticism, he's got it.
He's also somewhat local too, having grown up in Hamilton despite moving to the GTHL for a bit (the level of the GTHL is higher than the SCTA loop).

I like his development curve more than anything else though.
He went from looking like he was nothing more than hype to putting it together in a big way.

athleticism is good...and I'd take it.... But I want down right nasty mean mentality. Someone like an Adam Foote .... this organization needs more of that.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
athleticism is good...and I'd take it.... But I want down right nasty mean mentality. Someone like an Adam Foote .... this organization needs more of that.
I wasn't saying that I place a lot of emphasis on athleticism, just commenting on it because you mentioned him being related McNabb.
I think it ends up being overrated.

Nurse has been pretty mean this season from what I've seen and had a reputation for it in his minor hockey days, in which he was incredibly vaunted.
He wasn't so much last year, but I guess we can chalk it up as him being a 16 year old playing the most difficult position to adjust to in a tough league to play in.

If you want someone that is purely a physical type, Zadorov is your guy.
He's not really someone I'm too high on though.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
No interest with Shinkaruk at all. We've had enough of that kind of forward here. If we are at 8-10, I would take Nischuhkin if he was the best forward available. Either him or Nurse.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Is anyone as intrigued by Erne as me? I think we have enough center prospects in the pipeline. We need a big, top 6 power forward to put on the wing.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Is anyone as intrigued by Erne as me? I think we have enough center prospects in the pipeline. We need a big, top 6 power forward to put on the wing.

Not with our own pick, I'm not. If our top pick in this draft is a 2nd line winger, I may lose my ****.

Maybe with Minnesota's though.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No interest with Shinkaruk at all. We've had enough of that kind of forward here. If we are at 8-10, I would take Nischuhkin if he was the best forward available. Either him or Nurse.

He is arguably the best forward available, period. If we fell out of the top 3 and Nichushkin fell to us, it'd be insane not to take him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The 2 years left on Nichushkin's KHL contract make me leery, but if we end up picking past the more obvious choices (Mac, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan), he and Nurse are the 2 guys I'd be looking at with that pick. Physically, Nichushkin is a beast for his age, and he is very skilled even if somewhat one-dimensional.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If Buffalo finishes outside the top three, I like Lindholm as the pick. Good combination of skill, high tempo play, and physical play.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
If Buffalo finishes outside the top three, I like Lindholm as the pick. Good combination of skill, high tempo play, and physical play.

Me too, if we don't get one of the big three(stupid trolls), I want Lindholm. I wouldn't mind Monahan, this team needs more Canadians.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm all over Zadarov if we fall outside those top 6 picks.

I'm comfortable taking Zadarov top 10, even knowing that I don't expect his offensive game to translate too much to the NHL. But I think his mobility, skating for his size, along with his above the shoulders game is enough for me. I think he's going to be a lock down defender... and a guy who makes the opposition pay the iron price.

if we miss out on one of the big 4 (yes, i put barkov in the same group)... a draft of Zadarov and Erne would be something I'd be looking for...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
JFB... humor me
If the Sabres are drafting 9th... and the first 8 picks are:
Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Monahan, Nurse

Who are your options at #9? (assuming no trade down scenarios)

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
My ideal draft, with no trading, would be something along the lines

1. (5) Sean Monahan: | Center| 6'2" | 190lbs | 58 games | 31 goals | 47 assists | 78 points | 15 power-play goals | 24 penalty minutes | minus-18 rating

Big bodied leader (Captain) who produced on a very poor 67's team. Plays a 200 foot game, compares to Jonathan Toews. Unquestioned leadership skills, perfect fit to be a #2 Complete Center.

**I value Monahan over Lindholm because of Monahan's all around ability and leadership. Lindholm is a playmaker, no doubt, but we already have that in Ennis, Hodgson, and Grigo. Monahan is the prefect fit into the new Sabres lineup and along with Larsson, brings a new change in the Sabres focused on leaders."**

Central Scouting's Chris Edwards said. "Leadership-wise … Ottawa had such a bad season and most of the time when we went down there he was the only guy generating anything. I don't think his skating is an issue, but that's an area every player always wants to improve, so it doesn't surprise me that he would want to improve even more. Anytime you can get a guy with that type of play-making ability, puck-handling, smarts and that type of creativity on the power play, you'd be happy to get a guy like that."

-------

"Never quits; gave it 110 percent and played as well as he could on a bad Ottawa team. Eric Staal-like."

Midterm Rank: 4NA

-----------------------------------------

1. (20) Bo Horvat: | Center/Wing| 6'0" | 200lbs | 67 games | 32 goals | 28 assists | 60 points | 29 PIMs | +3 rating

When you think of Horvat, think of a Steve Ott type with more offensive prowess. Center/Winger, plays a complete game. Relentless forchecker, PKer, huge upside. Captained the U17 Canada Ontario team and was Alternate Captain for the U18 Canada team.

Midterm Rank: 15NA

Alternates for this pick: Ryan Hartman, Valentin Zykov, Curtis Lazar, Kerby Rychel

----------------------------------

2. (35) Michael McCarron: | Right Wing| 6'5" | 230lbs | 19 games | 5 goals | 5 assists | 10 points | 84 PIMS | +1 rating

North-South player with good vision. Back checks hard, uses his body well. Makes sure you know you've played him as he's an intense competitor. Committed to Michigan State, he's a little more of a longer term project, but 2 years at College should help him. The upside is significant however, and will be a dominant force when he does make the transition. Best case scenario for him is probably Rick Nash lite.

"He's a big guy with soft hands"

Midterm Rank: 31NA

Alternate Picks: Mirco Muueller, Shea Theodore, Steve Santini, Connor Hurley, Madison Bowey, Jacob de la Rose
----------------------------------

2. (46) Thomas Vanelli: | Defense| 6'2" | 175lbs |

Kid's a competitor. Aggressive Off d-man who excels equally as well in the D zone. Needs to gain a couple more lbs and he's a little unpolished but the upside is there and there's no questioning his compete level or dive to succeed. Committed to play for U of Minnesota. Also part of the new leadership direction as he wore an "A" at Minnetonka.

Some interesting discussion on Minnetonka (Minn.) High School defenseman Thomas Vanelli. One scout told the group that during his weigh-in for Central Scouting, the teenager asked him: "What do I need to do to get drafted into the first round?"

---------------

Vanelli has made quite the rise over the past two seasons as he has went from being a transfer player from Holy Family to a blue-chip prospect for the 2013 NHL Draft. Vanelli has an assortment of skills; most notable are his soft hands and his superb patience with the puck. He’s able to collect the puck cleanly and distribute it with little difficulty. Shows good control of the puck while under stress as he processes the game very well. His polished puck handling skills allow him to maneuver through traffic and create scoring opportunities while opening up space for teammates.

Vanelli possesses very good speed and exceptional agility, making his transitions look effortless and his defensive coverage tight. He’s very responsible and is makes good decisions on when to pinch or when to retreat. Has first-rate gap control as he can take space away from the opposition. His strength is a minor concern as he must continue to work to improve on his physical play in the corners and in front of the net. Vanelli is a sharp prospect and has the skill and will to succeed. The university of Minnesota recruit should be one of the first Minnesotans taken in the draft.

Alternate Picks: Tyler Hill, Samuel Morin, Justin Bailey, Sean Malone, John Hayden

-------------------------

I think these picks helps us to make a complete team. I didn't pick Lindholm because I feel we have enough "Lindholm's" right now. The new-look Sabres are going to be a team that is built to win and succeed in the playoffs. Same with, Horvat, McCarron, and Vanelli. There will probably a few more "skilled" players than those, but I want a well rounded balanced team. I feel these players another step in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA