Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
ISS has Nichushkin 2nd in their mid April ranking. Interesting. The more I look into the top 7/8 in this draft the less I want to see it traded.

One thing to add on the Lazar argument. And it's the same argument you could use on Lander. That two way game that works so well in juniors and lesser leagues takes a serious hit when you are trying to duplicate it at the pro level. Players under 6 feet and 200 pounds are so much less effective when trying to bring the same thing at the pro level when the guys they play against are often 6'2", 6'3", 6'4" and 210, 220, 230. I think an average NHLer is closer to 6'2" and 210 pounds.

These guys are already undersized. I know size isn't everything but to play an effective two way game in this league especially at centre, I think you need someone that is at least 6' 2" and 215. An effective big man in todays NHL is 6' 4" and 230. Players under 6 feet and 200 pounds is what we have way too many of. And to get bigger we are now in the position that we have to seriously look at the size of players we add. We really do need to get bigger one player at a time. One draft at a time.

No NO it is not!
Comparing Lander to Lazar is nothing alike. Lazar is 17 and he is already 200 pounds so he is going to get bigger. H e plays tougher then Lander and better defensively. And at the same age their offensive skills were not even in the same ball park. Lazar is way a head.

If you like Mike Richards you will like Lazar.
If you guys ever get a chance watch this kid and you will not be disappointed.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
I'm a Lazar booster - I wouldn't mind it if they took him at 7, I feel pretty good about his game translating to the pros - speed, toughness, tenacity, skill. I think he's the kind of guy that could play up and down the lineup, whether it's a scoring line, checking line, PP, PK, taking the tough assignments if needed.

Plus, when's the last time we had a goal scoring centre? Arnott? IF his game works in the NHL, he would be a huge asset, imo. Is he more or less valuable than Monahan/Lindholm? Dunno... some day you may regret not taking one of those two, but I don't think you'd ever look back and wish you'd never taken Lazar, if that makes any sense.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
One more reason to draft Monahan is he's a left shot. Gagner-Nail haven't worked very well, and I wonder if its partly due to Gagner being a right shot.

Would you guys deal our 2nd+ Gernat for a mid first to take Lazar? Would the value be there?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
One more reason to draft Monahan is he's a left shot. Gagner-Nail haven't worked very well, and I wonder if its partly due to Gagner being a right shot.

Would you guys deal our 2nd+ Gernat for a mid first to take Lazar? Would the value be there?

Without even the slightest hesitation.

The Perfect Human*

I'd move both 2nds to get that pick (we do have two 2nd's right?). Although I don't really see the need to make that move if we already pick up Monahan - maybe if one of Zadorov/Ristolainen/Nurse miraculously make it down to 14-15

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010

I dont think other teams value Gernat nearly as highly as we do..and we still dont know what we have in him.
Trade next years first.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
If we draft a forward who wasn't a point a game in the WHL at 7th overall, I might actually commit a murder.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Argh.

The Draft in New Jersey is exactly 2 months away. The Combine about 1 month away.

Sitting on the precipice of the talent drop off is excruciating.

It's better than sitting at the bottom of the precipice. Being at 8 would suck.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I really like Lazar but not enough to want the Oilers to trade down because they think he'll still be there at 15 or whatever. The Oilers' pick at #7 is on the the edge of the drop off from the 2nd to the 3rd tier of this year's draft. The thing the Oilers have needed forever is a center with size and faceoff ability for the top-6 and Monahan fits the bill plus he can skate well. To pass up the opportunity to fill that hole which is so difficult to fill because teams don't generally move those players would be totally asinine.

I'd be good with the Oilers trading some pieces to get another pick to take Lazar though. He's gonna be a pretty valuable player for whichever team drafts him, I just don't think the Oilers should pass up a player who fills a bigger need for him. That extra size and reach comes in handy when you're playing against a Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, or Ryan Getzlaf.

Oct 15, 2008
I really like Lazar but not enough to want the Oilers to trade down because they think he'll still be there at 15 or whatever. The Oilers' pick at #7 is on the the edge of the drop off from the 2nd to the 3rd tier of this year's draft. The thing the Oilers have needed forever is a center with size and faceoff ability for the top-6 and Monahan fits the bill plus he can skate well. To pass up the opportunity to fill that hole which is so difficult to fill because teams don't generally move those players would be totally asinine.

I'd be good with the Oilers trading some pieces to get another pick to take Lazar though. He's gonna be a pretty valuable player for whichever team drafts him, I just don't think the Oilers should pass up a player who fills a bigger need for him. That extra size and reach comes in handy when you're playing against a Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, or Ryan Getzlaf.

I like Monahan, but what if he is gone before we pick?

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario

Figured this would be a good place to leave this. If he develops right, he'd be everything this D is missing.

Season ticket holder here in London watching the knights playoff run AGAIN, and Zhadorov will be a strong "D" get. Hits like a brick house and has a very accurate shot. Don't think he will be a big point getter but a solid shut down D, at 6ft 8inches tall

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Seems like a fairly reasonable draft, at least the top 8 or so. Button may have been an idiot when he was a GM, but his draft lists seem to be improving yearly.

I would be very pleased if the draft worked out that way. Lindholm may not be huge, but he's smart, creative, strong, and tough to knock off the puck. RNH + Lindholm could be a poor man's version of Sakic + Forsberg for the Oilers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Season ticket holder here in London watching the knights playoff run AGAIN, and Zhadorov will be a strong "D" get. Hits like a brick house and has a very accurate shot. Don't think he will be a big point getter but a solid shut down D, at 6ft 8inches tall

I have heard this before yet I always read that he's 6'4" or 6'5" tall. Did he have a massive growth spurt this year

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I like Monahan, but what if he is gone before we pick?

For my money the worst the draft could play out is that of the top 7 the Oilers are left with Nichushkin. I'm not sold on his hockey sense and ability to play a team game, and he's in the KHL for 2 more years. In that case I'd be open to trading down, otherwise I'd prefer the Oilers draft at #7. In order of preference I like Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan. Lindholm's the same size as Lazar and although I think Lazar is more physical and better away from the puck those aren't areas that are deficient in Lindholm's game. He also has more high-end skill than Lazar although isn't quite as good a fit for the Oilers in terms of filling a need as Monahan or Barkov. If they did get Lindholm and not Monahan I'd be even more of a proponent of moving some pieces to take Lazar mid-first. I think Lazar would make an excellent player to move around anywhere on the 2nd-3rd line and could fill in on the first line, wheras I see Lindholm as clearly a top 6 center, and a number 1 center on a lot of teams. Lazar's versatility, positioning, and intangibles make him very attractive though because he looks like a pretty safe bet to contribute at the NHL level.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
- 1-9 are reasonable.
- 10 seems a bit of a stretch, but I could see that.
- But Samuel Morin...at 11...with Ristolainen and Pulock on the board?

Morin seems like a decent sleeper to show up around there.

6'6'' defensemen who can skate are usually high on teams' lists.

I'm not sure there's much separating a guy like Zadorov and Morin actually.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I have heard this before yet I always read that he's 6'4" or 6'5" tall. Did he have a massive growth spurt this year

Can someone answer this question because I always have seen 6'5". I tried searching it on the web and never saw anything about a growth spurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad