Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Continue here.

Last Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1412621

Yeah but they'll provide it in 3 years. What's the good of that? Noone knows what the team will look like then or what our needs will be.

If MacT can get a good top 6 player or top 4 D for the pick (with or without a package) that will help now and for the next few years, you do it. If a good player isn't available, then fine. Add him to the stable and hope he pans out in a few years.

Not stockpiling minor league depth is what got this franchise in trouble prior to the rebuild. Why go down that path again? There is nothing wrong with having Monahan, Lazar, Lindholm in OKC for a couple years. It allows the players time to adjust to the NHL and benefits the players development.

And I said that would be fine if we can't make a deal that will help for the near future.

This team will remain in mediocrity unless we fill some of the major holes in the lineup immediately. The 7th can be a nice asset to use because we have very little else that other teams will want. To give up Gagner, we need a 2C right away. Hemsky won't bring enough without some other parts.
I'd love to already be in a playoff position or close to it and have the 'luxury' of picking another good young player and letting him develop. However, unless we want to still be picking in the top 5/10 in the draft 3 years from now, we need to do something constructive and 'bold'...
Frankly, I believe if this had been a full season we'd be picking in the top 3. We just ran out of time to suck too much.

:laugh:Yah the Oilers have definitely shown their ability to suck. IMO the Oil need to remain patient with all of this, they should perhaps chase a couple of FA's for the immediate future. Trading away a high end draft pick or Eberle, Gagner, Paajarvi is risky and should only be for the right player.

I agree, but I think we can trade Gagner and replace him with two experienced centers for the third and fourth liners. Hall and Yak create so much on the rush I think attaching a boat anchor like Horc wouldn't devastate their production. My only concern would be Horc's health, so the remaining centers would have to be capable of moving up the line-up.

I really like Gagner, but I think given his contract situation, he is the small offensive forward we need to move for balance. Gagner +7th is a similar package to what got Staal and Carter last season.

Hall-Horc-Yak
PWF-RNH-Ebs

Horc!!! Really?

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
This is my ranking of the players:

Jones
Mac
Drouin

Drop Off
Barkov
Nikushkin (if not for being Russian and not knowing where he wants to play)
Lindholm

Drop Off
Monahan
Ristolainen
Shinkaruk

Problem to me is that 7 is right on the cusp of a drop off. If we can get out of this with Barkov, we'd be laughing. Not sure what to do at 7th. I guess you hope Nurse goes in the top 6 - I don't care much for him in the top 6, but others do, and that one of the top 6 I listed falls to us.

Koto

May 3, 2011
can we edit a poll in?

Will one of Lindholm/Monohan make it to 7?

A) Oh god i hope so
B) Probably
C) Don't care, want a Dman
D) NICHUSHKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

Jones

Drop Off
Mac
Drouin

Drop Off
Barkov
Lindholm

Drop Off
Monahan
Ristolainen
Shinkaruk

Problem to me is that 7 is right on the cusp of a drop off. If we can get out of this with Barkov, we'd be laughing. Not sure what to do at 7th. I guess you hope Nurse goes in the top 6 - I don't care much for him in the top 6, but others do, and that one of the top 6 I listed falls to us.

Fixed

Oct 15, 2008

Jones
Mac
Drouin

Drop Off
Barkov
Lindholm

Drop Off
Monahan
Ristolainen
Shinkaruk

Shinkaruk?:laugh:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If Nickuskin is there he might be a good pick. My guess is he would love to come play with Yakupov. I have based him before as he dosn't have great hockey sense, but, still his raw ability is pretty unreal. At worst he is another MAP, at best he is another Malkin.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If Nickuskin is there he might be a good pick. My guess is he would love to come play with Yakupov. I have based him before as he dosn't have great hockey sense, but, still his raw ability is pretty unreal. At worst he is another MAP, at best he is another Malkin.

That is a huge worst case, best case gap there. :)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I can't believe how much love Shinkaruk gets nationally. I was expecting more from this year. Hopefully Feaster reaches for the local boy though.

He's rated in the top 10 in 6 of 8 top 30 lists i use for my mock draft spreadsheet. (12th and 14th in the other two)

I agree about expecting more from him this year production wise.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Couturier fell in his draft year, so it is possible one of the centre's will be there at 7.

Couturier also suffered from Mono, which had scouts around the draft questioning his compete level, which was obviously untrue(Saad/Grigorenko suffered similar fates). None of the top centers have any nasty rumors floating around them about injuries or illness this year.

Swedish/Finnish players have taken a hit in recent years as well in draft ranking(PVR/Forsberg), but haven't been hearing the usual "low hockey sense" bit that came with those players dropping surrounding Barkov or Lindholm as of yet.

More likely the Centers are gone by the time the Oilers pick(Calgary/Nashville will definitely take one each), and the only player that drops any is Nichiskin due to KHL/Russian fears.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Getting another center would be huge, but if it came to selecting a dman who do you guys like between Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov, and Pulock? Adding a dman in the first could go a long way instead of hoping prospects picked between rounds 2-5 turn out to be top 4 dmen and some how fix our defensive woes.

Would love to have Nurse but I wish I could see more of him. Everybody raves about his skating and athleticism but how is his shot, puck moving, and ability to make hits along the boards and in open ice?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Couturier also suffered from Mono, which had scouts around the draft questioning his compete level, which was obviously untrue(Saad/Grigorenko suffered similar fates). None of the top centers have any nasty rumors floating around them about injuries or illness this year.

Swedish/Finnish players have taken a hit in recent years as well in draft ranking(PVR/Forsberg), but haven't been hearing the usual "low hockey sense" bit that came with those players dropping surrounding Barkov or Lindholm as of yet.

More likely the Centers are gone by the time the Oilers pick(Calgary/Nashville will definitely take one each), and the only player that drops any is Nichiskin due to KHL/Russian fears.

Sometimes teams go way off the chart as well. Just look at Pittsburgh with Pouliot last year.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sometimes teams go way off the chart as well. Just look at Pittsburgh with Pouliot last year.

Yep

Can't predict what the teams are going to do, we could see a Hickey pick again this year, never know.

But you can usually get a sense of which players teams are a little iffy about.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Getting another center would be huge, but if it came to selecting a dman who do you guys like between Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov, and Pulock? Adding a dman in the first could go a long way instead of hoping prospects picked between rounds 2-5 turn out to be top 4 dmen and some how fix our defensive woes.

Would love to have Nurse but I wish I could see more of him. Everybody raves about his skating and athleticism but how is his shot, puck moving, and ability to make hits along the boards and in open ice?

Ristolainen is my favorite just because he is a RHD and playing pro already while having solid offence.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Here's a tweet

@OnsideWithJouni: EDM Oilers would do well to pick D Rasmus Ristolainen 7th in NHL draft. Big, strong, skater, big shot, great athlete. Can play immediately.

What do you think? We haven't taken a dman first in a while

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com

Yep

Can't predict what the teams are going to do, we could see a Hickey pick again this year, never know.

But you can usually get a sense of which players teams are a little iffy about.

Let's just hope that Feaster pulls a "Feaster" and does something stupid and goes off the board allowing one of the centres to fall into our lap :)

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
barkov

Would you trade our 2013 1st round pick and 2014 1st round pick for nsh 4th overall if Barkov was still available?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I am not overly enthused by any of them to be honest. They would all fit into the "ok then" category. I might prefer Nurse or Ristolainen.

I am much more interested in one of the Cs or the huge winger. Getting any one of them would be a win for me. Barkov is obviously my big dream and I hope MacT makes some serious calls to Poile about that 4 pick to grab him. After than Monahan/Lindholm is mostly a coin flip, Stu's choice. Then there's Nichushkin, who is only 7th cause he's a winger.

Those are the names I want the Oilers to be looking at and making the moves required to ensure they get the guy they want. This is probably our last high-ish draft pick for a while. So I hope MacT really goes for it to get their prime target. If that's Barkov, and it takes something pretty big like Paajarvi to jump up to 4, then so be it. Top players > good players every time.

Would you trade our 2013 1st round pick and 2014 1st round pick for nsh 4th overall if Barkov was still available?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad