Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I can't believe how much love Shinkaruk gets nationally. I was expecting more from this year. Hopefully Feaster reaches for the local boy though.

I really hope Calgary takes him. If the Oilers pick Shinkaruk (or Lazar), I'm going to go egg MacT's house.

Jones

MacKinnon
Drouin

Barkov
Lindholm/Monahan
Nichuskin/Nurse

is hopefully what the Oilers draft board looks like.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I like what Nichushkin brings to the table but did not like this article about him.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-or-bust-for-nichushkin/

Love his skill set just not 100% sure. I guess the interview will be very important with this guy. Hope MacT figures out this guys plans. If it involves coming to NHL in 2 years than he may very well be worth the risk.

If there was any question as to whether or not he's going to fall on draft day, I think they've been squashed. I'd be surprised to see him go in the top 10. Top 10 talent for sure (probably top 5), but there's a real risk involved in taking him. And it's not like we've seen players like him fall before.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I really hope Calgary takes him. If the Oilers pick Shinkaruk (or Lazar), I'm going to go egg MacT's house.

Jones

MacKinnon
Drouin

Barkov
Lindholm/Monahan
Nichuskin/Nurse

is hopefully what the Oilers draft board looks like.

I agree with this, although I'd be okay with Rasmus Ristolainen over the bottom two on your list.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
If we take a dman at 7 I hope it is the Finn Ristolainen. He is like what we have with Jeff Petry but more aggressive and a bigger shot.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Argh.

The Draft in New Jersey is exactly 2 months away. The Combine about 1 month away.

Sitting on the precipice of the talent drop off is excruciating. Hoping that someone above us will pick off the board or dismiss the Russian factor is even worse.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Let's just hope that Feaster pulls a "Feaster" and does something stupid and goes off the board allowing one of the centres to fall into our lap :)

Jokinen has been a bust in Winnipeg... 6th overall for Jokinen?

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
"We'd lop our blocks off for Barkov"

"Played like sin only to draft Nichushkin"

"Nurse? Could be worse."

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Argh.

The Draft in New Jersey is exactly 2 months away. The Combine about 1 month away.

Sitting on the precipice of the talent drop off is excruciating. Hoping that someone above us will pick off the board or dismiss the Russian factor is even worse.

You never know, if LA hadn't taken Hickey off the board in '07 the Oilers likely would have drafted Voracek... who is sadly a near PPG player and probably exactly what we need right now. :(

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Argh.

This is what I'm praying for. This would be the best case scenario, and I'm telling myself it could happen due to Carolina, or even Tampa's forward depth.

The Perfect Human*

After spending a bunch of time reading scouting reports and watching video of some of the names being mentioned, here's a list of who I'd draft (in order) of realistic possibilities at #7:

1) Elias Lindholm
I know everyone wants Monahan, but if Lindholm magically falls down to #7 because of CAR/CGY somehow taking Monahan/Nichushkin before him, he's the de-facto pick for me. Strong 2-way center who thinks and plays the game like Nick Backstrom. His frame and stride are more like Marcus Johansson. Not the big center we've been craving, but too good of a talent not to take with the pick. Bonafide 1st line C potential.
Comp: Nicklas Backstrom's puck skills/vision with Marcus Johansson's frame/grit

2) Sean Monahan
Big 2-way center who plays physical, oozes hockey sense, and comes as a great face-off man who can play the 2-way game. Basically the ideal 2C given the division we're about to enter. 6'2, 200+. Not spectacular at any specific offensive facet, but is complete in ever aspect. Very useful player.
Comp: David Backes, Patrice Bergeron

3) Rasmus Ristolainen
To me he's the best of the available defensemen. 6'4, 200+, and a great skater for his size. He's got good puck-handling ability, puck-rushing ability, and puck-distribution ability. He's lauded for his offensive creativity and instincts. He's got an above-average shot, and is playing the PP as a teenager for his FNL team. He likes to be physical, often throwing big hits, and isn't afraid to take the body. However, similar to Justin Schultz, he is quite raw in the defensive end. Poor positioning/awareness that has cost him playing in the FNL. But that part of the game can be taught - and he's got the size and skating to handle big NHL forwards.
Comp: Alex Pietrangelo

4) Darnell Nurse
Big-bodied defenseman that plays the shut-down game well and is starting to show some decent offensive capabilities as well. Not an elite puck-handler like Ristolainen, but can make smart plays with it as he starts to grow more confident with the puck. Definitely feeds off of his linemate Sproule for a lot of his offensive production. But hits like a beast, is fundamentally sound in his own end, and has a lot of growth potential to become a useful offensive defenseman.
Comp: Brent Seabrook

5) Nikita Zadorov

Big bodied defenseman similar to Nurse who has arguably better mobility, better shooting, and better defense than Nurse or Ristolainen. His puck-handling is really questionable, and doesn't really strike me as a break-out defenseman. He's got great shooting, and has potential to become a top-4 defenseman.
Comp: Pavel Kubina, Alex Edler

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
After spending a bunch of time reading scouting reports and watching video of some of the names being mentioned, here's a list of who I'd draft (in order) of realistic possibilities at #7:

1) Elias Lindholm
I know everyone wants Monahan, but if Lindholm magically falls down to #7 because of CAR/CGY somehow taking Monahan/Nichushkin before him, he's the de-facto pick for me. Strong 2-way center who thinks and plays the game like Nick Backstrom. His frame and stride are more like Marcus Johansson. Not the big center we've been craving, but too good of a talent not to take with the pick. Bonafide 1st line C potential.
Comp: Nicklas Backstrom's puck skills/vision with Marcus Johansson's frame/grit

2) Sean Monahan
Big 2-way center who plays physical, oozes hockey sense, and comes as a great face-off man who can play the 2-way game. Basically the ideal 2C given the division we're about to enter. 6'2, 200+. Not spectacular at any specific offensive facet, but is complete in ever aspect. Very useful player.
Comp: David Backes, Patrice Bergeron

3) Rasmus Ristolainen
To me he's the best of the available defensemen. 6'4, 200+, and a great skater for his size. He's got good puck-handling ability, puck-rushing ability, and puck-distribution ability. He's lauded for his offensive creativity and instincts. He's got an above-average shot, and is playing the PP as a teenager for his FNL team. He likes to be physical, often throwing big hits, and isn't afraid to take the body. However, similar to Justin Schultz, he is quite raw in the defensive end. Poor positioning/awareness that has cost him playing in the FNL. But that part of the game can be taught - and he's got the size and skating to handle big NHL forwards.
Comp: Alex Pietrangelo

4) Darnell Nurse
Big-bodied defenseman that plays the shut-down game well and is starting to show some decent offensive capabilities as well. Not an elite puck-handler like Ristolainen, but can make smart plays with it as he starts to grow more confident with the puck. Definitely feeds off of his linemate Sproule for a lot of his offensive production. But hits like a beast, is fundamentally sound in his own end, and has a lot of growth potential to become a useful offensive defenseman.
Comp: Brent Seabrook

5) Nikita Zadorov

Big bodied defenseman similar to Nurse who has arguably better mobility, better shooting, and better defense than Nurse or Ristolainen. His puck-handling is really questionable, and doesn't really strike me as a break-out defenseman. He's got great shooting, and has potential to become a top-4 defenseman.
Comp: Pavel Kubina, Alex Edler

I am just warning, but the way Lazar has been playing lately don't be surprised if he is taken by the Oilers at 7th.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
10p in 15gp? FML

This will be like the Ewanyk signing all again. Don't look at just the points. The guy is playing second line minutes and on the pp he is in front of the net. The Oil kings just have too much forward talent for their own good.
Lazar is a game changer. He is what we need on the Oilers he scores he hits he plays awesome in his own end. The guy is one of the best 2way forwards in the WHL at the age of 17. His skating his amazing and his speed is better.
He will be greatly improving his offensive output next year and I think his breaking out party will be at the wjrs next year.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I could see Mac T trade down and grab lazar, which I would support. Lazar would fit in well as a 3/4 C. The question is what do we get back, well, it better be something decent.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
I could see Mac T trade down and grab lazar, which I would support. Lazar would fit in well as a 3/4 C. The question is what do we get back, well, it better be something decent.

He is a perfect #2 center. I wish he was taller, but he plays bigger than he is.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
XXXX-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Ristolainen-Klefbom
Marincin

Now we just need a Russian defenceman that can play top minutes. Markov anyone?

The Perfect Human*

This will be like the Ewanyk signing all again. Don't look at just the points. The guy is playing second line minutes and on the pp he is in front of the net. The Oil kings just have too much forward talent for their own good.
Lazar is a game changer. He is what we need on the Oilers he scores he hits he plays awesome in his own end. The guy is one of the best 2way forwards in the WHL at the age of 17. His skating his amazing and his speed is better.
He will be greatly improving his offensive output next year and I think his breaking out party will be at the wjrs next year.

2nd line C's in the WHL don't become "perfect" NHL 2nd line C's. Especially when the #1C they're playing behind is a 4th round pick.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Good write up, but I have to ask, was Nichushkin's absence intentional?

Lazar is a huge risk at 7 with some of the names that could be on the table. I get that the Oilers want to get the guy they like, but unless Lazar destroys Portland on his way to winning the Memorial Cup MVP, I'd be pissed if we we took him that high.

We have 2nds, prospects, extra roster players, and picks in other years, we should be able to cobble together a package to jump up high enough to still grab Lazar. Trading up for him, I am all for. taking him at 7 or trading down for him, I am not.

I still consider him a probable great 3rd C, and not on the same level as players like Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm, who could be good->great 2nd Cs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad