Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
This will be like the Ewanyk signing all again. Don't look at just the points. The guy is playing second line minutes and on the pp he is in front of the net. The Oil kings just have too much forward talent for their own good.
Lazar is a game changer. He is what we need on the Oilers he scores he hits he plays awesome in his own end. The guy is one of the best 2way forwards in the WHL at the age of 17. His skating his amazing and his speed is better.
He will be greatly improving his offensive output next year and I think his breaking out party will be at the wjrs next year.

My only concern is he wouldn't provide enough offense for a 2nd line centre role. However, hearing that he is a 2 way threat really makes me want the Oilers to somehow acquire him without the 7th pick.

ps; wrong thread I know, but how has Ewanyk looked in the playoffs?

The Perfect Human*

Good write up, but I have to ask, was Nichushkin's absence intentional?

Good call. I've been talking about his game a bunch on these boards the past few days, and have made it clear that if it was a decision between him and Nurse/Zadorov/Ristolainen he's the one to take.

He plays very similar to Rick Nash at the same age. And that's who a good comp for him is.

His hockey sense has been questioned recently, but I feel he plays with enough heart and grit to make up for it, which is okay for a winger.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
My only concern is he wouldn't provide enough offense for a 2nd line centre role. However, hearing that he is a 2 way threat really makes me want the Oilers to somehow acquire him without the 7th pick.

ps; wrong thread I know, but how has Ewanyk looked in the playoffs?

He has played his role very good. Well adding some offence. So I am very happy with his play!

I am not to worried his offence will translate to the NHL. The guy has an wicked wrist and has good offensive instincts and also drives the net pretty good and should get better as he puts weight on.

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
IMO we shouldn't move down as my main guys are (Nichushkin if available)Lindholm, Monahan & Ristolainen/Nurse. I would love Lazar but I really like what I hear about these guys upside and I'd rather not move down or make a panic deal that we'll regret.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
Good write up, but I have to ask, was Nichushkin's absence intentional?

Lazar is a huge risk at 7 with some of the names that could be on the table. I get that the Oilers want to get the guy they like, but unless Lazar destroys Portland on his way to winning the Memorial Cup MVP, I'd be pissed if we we took him that high.

We have 2nds, prospects, extra roster players, and picks in other years, we should be able to cobble together a package to jump up high enough to still grab Lazar. Trading up for him, I am all for. taking him at 7 or trading down for him, I am not.

I still consider him a probable great 3rd C, and not on the same level as players like Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm, who could be good->great 2nd Cs

I agree with the bolded part. I should of made my statement better. He needs to keep on playing the way he has been lately to move up, and I would not be shocked if he rocketed up the rankings.

I do agree he is not on the level of Barkov, but he can be as good as the others. I think he will be a very solid two way center that plays a lot like Mike Richards. He will not disappoint.

The Perfect Human*

Lazar sounds good....if the Oilers were picking 20th. Let's not let him playing at Rexall place delude our thoughts, especially when legitimate talents are still on the board.

There's a difference between being a role player on a WHL team and being a role player in the NHL. Often times it's top-line CHL players that end up being NHL role players.

Lazar isn't even a top-6 forward in terms of production for the Oil Kings. Blows my mind that he's being justified as a #7 pick here.

The Perfect Human*

I prefer Nurse or Nichushkin to Monahan. Nothing about Monahan really catches my eye.

That's just the thing. Nothing really explosive about him. But nothing really deficient in him either. At 18 he already has an NHL-ready type of aura to him in terms of ability to play the 200 foot game, win face-offs, and engage physically.

He's not going to score like Hall/RNH/Eberle in the NHL, but he'll likely make just as much of a difference in terms of contributions at both ends of the ice. Similar to someone like Kesler/Mike Richards/Backes/Bergeron/Jordan Staal.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Lazar sounds good....if the Oilers were picking 20th. Let's not let him playing at Rexall place delude our thoughts, especially when legitimate talents are still on the board.

There's a difference between being a role player on a WHL team and being a role player in the NHL. Often times it's top-line CHL players that end up being NHL role players.

Lazar isn't even a top-6 forward in terms of production for the Oil Kings. Blows my mind that he's being justified as a #7 pick here.

Lazar's not a role player.

Thanks for coming out.

The Perfect Human*

Lazar's not a role player.

Thanks for coming out.

I should clarify. By "role player" I didn't mean 3rd liner, etc - but in this case a 2C.

I don't want to pigeon-hole this guy as a 1/2/3C because he's just a prospect right now. Back when we took Gagner people were talking about him as our future 1C. Back when Dallas picked Benn they were hoping for him to be their future 3C. Things change.

But if you're picking at #7, you take the safest and most sure-fire bet in terms of reaching the potential - because tbh Lazar/Monahan play similar styles - but Monahan is much more likely to reach that solid 2-way 2C role than Lazar is IMO.

If I had to give my own "HF-style" ratings, Monahan would be an 8.0B, Lazar a 7.5-8.0C.

Oct 15, 2008

Sometimes third liners turn out pretty good.:sarcasm:

Oct 15, 2008
I should clarify. By "role player" I didn't mean 3rd liner, etc - but in this case a 2C.

I don't want to pigeon-hole this guy as a 1/2/3C because he's just a prospect right now. Back when we took Gagner people were talking about him as our future 1C. Back when Dallas picked Benn they were hoping for him to be their future 3C. Things change.

But if you're picking at #7, you take the safest and most sure-fire bet in terms of reaching the potential - because tbh Lazar/Monahan play similar styles - but Monahan is much more likely to reach that solid 2-way 2C role than Lazar is IMO.

If I had to give my own "HF-style" ratings, Monahan would be an 8.0B, Lazar a 7.5-8.0C.

Didnt you give Hall a 6.5 D?

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site

He most definitely is, he was their leading goal scorer, and 5th in points. I would definitely not pick him at 7th, but that's me, I still wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than expected...based on Bob MacKenzie's scout survey, at least 2 of the 10 scouts he interviewed had Lazar in their top 10. Obviously, that's just 2 scouts, but that tells me that even some of the professionals think this not just Oil Kings fans, and all it takes is 1 head scout for a guy to be picked ahead of his projections.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'll go on record as being one who wouldn't be dissapointed with taking Lazaar at #7.
I'm admittedly no scout or avid watcher of Junior hockey. But I am watching the Oil Kings in the playoffs and this kid is bat **** insane.

I know people have a valid argument about his point production. But when I watch him play he's always around the puck or puck is always around him. He goes to places on the ice 90% of the current team wouldn't dare.

To me he just seems like a player that helps his team win no matter the cost.
That's more important to me than height, face off percentage, etc.
Reminds me of a defensive version of Taylor Hall to be honest. Stronger on his skates but without the offensive creativity of Hall.

Only time will tell I guess.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
A creative trade will include moving Hemsky and PICKING UP part of his salary.

Hemsky (Oilers pick-up 1M, meaning he has a 4M hit to the other team).
Oilers 2nd Round pick (38th overall)

for

NYI's 14th overall pick (potentially Lazar)

Columbus' 23rd overall pick could be available too. I could also see something with Washington for 22nd overall. Hemsky is clearly on the way out - might as well take a shot for Lazar (also assuming we have Monahan or Lindholm at no.7).

I also think the Oilers will take Tristan Jarry at no.38 if they hang on to that pick.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1: If we trade down we better get something useful that we can use NOW. Something that is going to contribute NOW.

2: I refuse to believe that we'll draft Lazar. If we're going to trade down it's going to be pretty far down IMO. To get something significant I imagine we'll fall out of the top 15.

3: I don't think we're going to draft a stay at home d-man or a winger. IMO Mac-T will either go for the best center or PMD available. I'm hoping he goes for a center. We need a lot more offensive depth in our prospect pool.

Oct 15, 2008
A creative trade will include moving Hemsky and PICKING UP part of his salary.

Hemsky (Oilers pick-up 1M, meaning he has a 4M hit to the other team).
Oilers 2nd Round pick (38th overall)

for

NYI's 14th overall pick (potentially Lazar)

Columbus' 23rd overall pick could be available too. I could also see something with Washington for 22nd overall. Hemsky is clearly on the way out - might as well take a shot for Lazar (also assuming we have Monahan or Lindholm at no.7).

I also think the Oilers will take Tristan Jarry at no.38 if they hang on to that pick.

Phoenix is waiting to take Lazar, so trading below them would be a huge fail if we are doing so in order to grab Lazar. I would like the Oilers to hang onto both the second round picks (especially their own) as Jarry would be a great pick for us, but Im not sure he will even make it to 38.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I don't want to trade down, but Lazar could very well end up going in the top 10 by any number of teams. It's not as if he's a complete reach at 11 or 12 (or wherever they would trade down to), or even staying at 7.

With that said, I still believe we should be focusing on trading into the 4 or 5 spot, because coming out of this draft with Barkov or Lindholm would be a major coup for this team.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't want to trade down, but Lazar could very well end up going in the top 10 by any number of teams. It's not as if he's a complete reach at 11 or 12 (or wherever they would trade down to), or even staying at 7.

With that said, I still believe we should be focusing on trading into the 4 or 5 spot, because coming out of this draft with Barkov or Lindholm would be a major coup for this team.

Barkov yes. If we nabbed Barkov I bet he'd be ready to play in the NHL by the 14/15 season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I prefer Nurse or Nichushkin to Monahan. Nothing about Monahan really catches my eye.

This is the problem with a lot of Oiler fans IMO. Too much falling in love with "catch my eye" high skill level type of stuff and not enough emphasis on players who actually help teams win games.

I've seen Monahan play enough to know that he does everything at a high level, he's an extremely high Hockey IQ guy who can excel in any situation. He's not going to WOW anybody with high skill and blazing speed but he's the type of guy that you want to go to war with against the Kings and Blues of the world.

Same thing with Lazar, too much looking at statlines and not enough watching the player play and seeing his true value to a team. I'm not saying that i would take him at 7 but he's really underrated around here because he's not a high skilled guy who will put up a ton of points.

Oct 15, 2008
This is the problem with a lot of Oiler fans IMO. Too much falling in love with "catch my eye" high skill level type of stuff and not enough emphasis on players who actually help teams win games.

I've seen Monahan play enough to know that he does everything at a high level, he's an extremely high Hockey IQ guy who can excel in any situation. He's not going to WOW anybody with high skill and blazing speed but he's the type of guy that you want to go to war with against the Kings and Blues of the world.

Same thing with Lazar, too much looking at statlines and not enough watching the player play and seeing his true value to a team. I'm not saying that i would take him at 7 but he's really underrated around here because he's not a high skilled guy who will put up a ton of points.

He led the Oil Kings in goals and scored more goals than Hunter Shinkaruk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad