Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Stauffer talking about Canes taking Nurse on Oilers Now?

@dstaples
If Hurricanes take Nurse, as @Bob_Stauffer suggests, I hope #Oilers take Lindholm. Monahan also would work....

Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'll also add that Lindholm is EXACTLY the same size as Galchenyuk, they both measured 6'0.5 at the combine and both were/are around 190 pounds. Yet Galchenyuk was viewed by many as a "big" center before the draft. Lindholm is not big compared to Monahan or Barkov but there are certainly no "size issues" with him.

It's because Galchenyuk wears football shoulder pads, maybe we should get Lindholm some and people would stop making Gagner comps.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's because Galchenyuk wears football shoulder pads, maybe we should get Lindholm some and people would stop making Gagner comps.

I would also like to point out that Lindholm lead his team in plus minus while playing against men. He is significantly better defensively then Gagner.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
I would also like to point out that Lindholm lead his team in plus minus while playing against men. He is significantly better defensively then Gagner.

I haven't watched Lindholm for even 1 minute and don't doubt he is decent in his own zone, but having a strong +/- does not = defensive prowess. Corey Potter lead the Oilers in +/- last year, he is not strong defensively.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I haven't watched Lindholm for even 1 minute and don't doubt he is decent in his own zone, but having a strong +/- does not = defensive prowess. Corey Potter lead the Oilers in +/- last year, he is not strong defensively.

Well that's the best number we can come away with. It's not like the minors have records for Corsi, QOC and a whole whack of stats.

Potter also wasn't the youngest player on his team.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Stauffer talking about Canes taking Nurse on Oilers Now?

@dstaples
If Hurricanes take Nurse, as @Bob_Stauffer suggests, I hope #Oilers take Lindholm. Monahan also would work....
It's been repeated ad nauseum that the 'Canes will be taking a forward, which is also likely the BPA where they are picking. Anything could happen though, and if the Hurricanes do indeed take Nurse, we are guaranteed the right to choose between Nichushkin, Lindholm and Monahan at 7, which would be sick.

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
I would actually not mind picking Nurse, he gives us size on the backend and is mean, something we terribly lack, I know he would have to be developed, but in the end it would be worth it. Either way Monohan or Nurse, go for the size, pick for the teams needs for once.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would actually not mind picking Nurse, he gives us size on the backend and is mean, something we terribly lack, I know he would have to be developed, but in the end it would be worth it. Either way Monohan or Nurse, go for the size, pick for the teams needs for once.

I like Nurse to, I sort of wonder why he isn't mentioned more in the top 5. He always seems a bit lower, but from what I see he works super hard, has a great attitude, and all sorts of skills.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The thing that makes the draft so interesting to me is how wildly unpredictable it still is these days.

And this one in particular looks wildly unpredictable. I'd be really impressed by anyone who so much as predicted the first 5 picks.

My predictions:

- Domi goes before Lazar, perhaps as early as 10th overall
- Nichushkin is still available at 7 (whether or not the Oilers still have it)
- top 5: Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan

Last edited:

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Best guess based on everything I've read, watched and/or heard:

Jones
Mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskin
Lindholm
Monahan

Car and Cal are the wildcards. Rutherford has said wants NHL ready forward.....they are deep at C so Nichuskin makes sense. The Flames I think go Lindholm. My friends in Calgary were all about Monahan but have seemed to flip to Lindholm. I asked them about switch and some have indicated that the media has talked up Lindholm a lot there. Said happy with either but think Lindholm better fit

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It really seems like the Oilers have invested much more time in Horvat than Lazar. If they trade back for one of them I assume Horvat is at the top of their list. Good to hear they have had multiple interviews with Monahan.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Horvat will likely go a lot sooner than expected thanks to him playing for London and making a memorial cup appearance, IMO.

Reload

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
It could be based on the fact that Lazar was right under the Oilers' noses all season, so they know enough about him not to have to invest much time in assessing him now. However, I suppose Horvat's play in the playoffs might have pushed him above Lazar on their list as well.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It really seems like the Oilers have invested much more time in Horvat than Lazar. If they trade back for one of them I assume Horvat is at the top of their list. Good to hear they have had multiple interviews with Monahan.

I'm guessing they know Lazar like the back of their hand for obvious reasons, not much point bringing him in for an interview, I bet he's had informal talks with multiple people in the organization at one point or another. What more are we going to learn about him from an interview, that we didn't already know from having him play on our junior team for the last 2+ years.

Tarus said:
Was just commenting that if true, it's a troubling comment. Peak of draft hype, and NHL scouts sitting around questioning Jones's hockey sense? It would be a big concern for anyone looking to draft him, and comparable to Barker who dominated the Juniors but didn't have the hockey sense and skating to develop at the NHL level.

But it's the time of year where the rumors are flying, and things start becoming murky. Just going through Joyce's twitter account shows he's the one who said Nichuskin was quitting on fitness tests and had a bad attitude, which contradicts other reports coming out of the combine.

Won't know if there are any truths to the claims unless Jones falls a bunch of spots in the draft.
Actually TSN had coverage of the draft combine and I watched Nichushkin quit on the VO2 Max test, not sure how he did on his other tests.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Horvat will likely go a lot sooner than expected thanks to him playing for London and making a memorial cup appearance, IMO.

From what I can glean, he's a fascinating prospect. If this draft really is comparable to the 2003 one, and if he turns into the next Kesler or Richards, I can see a lot of teams not wanting to risk passing him up. Heck, even if he just turns into Stoll with wheels, that's still a significant piece that the Oilers could use.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Gare Joyce: one scout compares Jones unfavorably to Trouba, saying he's barely younger and Trouba was better in every tournament and was 8th or whatever in a weak draft year.

That's fine, we'll take Jones at 7 thanks.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Well that's the best number we can come away with. It's not like the minors have records for Corsi, QOC and a whole whack of stats.

Potter also wasn't the youngest player on his team.

It's not "the best number we can come away with." Just because it's the only number there doesn't give it any value, it's a fairly useless stat, particularly in regards to prospects where it's often just cherry-picked to support arguments. Not saying that as a Lindholm fan/detractor either way. It's just a crap stat.

If you use +/- to give you any idea of a prospect's true defensive value going forward on an NHL team, lol have fun with that.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Gare Joyce: one scout compares Jones unfavorably to Trouba, saying he's barely younger and Trouba was better in every tournament and was 8th or whatever in a weak draft year.

That's fine, we'll take Jones at 7 thanks.

I would take him at 7 no question, but this is one year that I'm sorta glad we're not picking 1st. I wouldn't want to be the GM that passes on the guy that has pretty much been the consistent #1 all year. At the same time, I've always hated the idea of picking dmen in the top couple of picks. Seems to be a lot better in the last few years, I would still be looking back at Erik Johnson vs Toews/Staal/Backstrom/Kessel....

Actually, from that 2006 draft, 9 dmen were taken in the first round. Only 1st overall Erik Johnson is a regular NHLer - though a few could still end up making it as they are only 25 years old, but that is a long time to wait IMO.

But then you have the freak draft of 2008: Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers, Karlsson, Gardiner, Sbisa, Del Zotto, and Carlson. I think that will end up being the greatest 1st round ever for Dmen (not to mention Voynov, J Schultz, Josi, Wiercioch, Hamonic. in later rounds)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
There is absolutely no way that Jones gets passed the Bolts at 3. None.

I'd like to know which scout made the Trouba comments. Obviously they've seen both guy more than I have, but that seems like a stretch. Jones was very good in the WJC this year and dominated the WHL in his first season. Trouba was playing US U18 in his draft year which isn't nearly as difficult as the schedule/travel/competition of the WHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad