Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: DousedInOil's Annual Rankings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I feel like most Oiler fans and media is overlooking Elias Lindholm. I keep hearing that if Monahan isn't available that we might trade down. What's everyones thoughts on taking the swede if Monahan is gone?

Well when that subject was broached with Stu MacGregor it sounded like he'd be happy to draft Lindholm in that spot.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Bobby Mac said at the combine that the majority of scouts still had Jones #1. You don't base your opinion around one tournament or small sample of games.

I agree, but for a different view, Gare Joyce (who I believe is supposed to be on Oilers Now tomorrow) had a few tweets about this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL/status/344478733295554562

"Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")"

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL/status/344479212020846592

"#NHL #draft cont. On S Jones, sr scout sez: "Don't see hockey sense, not even bit of edge, wonder about attitude, v avg interview @ combine"

AlbertaHockey20

Feb 25, 2012
I'd take Elias over Monahan, but I think I'm in the minority here.
I agree with you actually. Lindholm has much higher offensive upside. Monahan will struggle shutting down defenders for a while as he is not a terrific skater. Lindholm is also bigger than I think some people think he is and he is freakishly strong. Lindholm's physical strength was apart of his scouting report and it showed strong at the combine. The combine proved quite useful in that sense. Lindholm is a beast with high end skill and hockey sense. Monahan isn't ready to be an impact player in the NHL. Even if he were to crack a roster he will struggle for one or two years. Lindholm is only one year away from being productive I think.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I agree with you actually. Lindholm has much higher offensive upside. Monahan will struggle shutting down defenders for a while as he is not a terrific skater. Lindholm is also bigger than I think some people think he is and he is freakishly strong. Lindholm's physical strength was apart of his scouting report and it showed strong at the combine. The combine proved quite useful in that sense. Lindholm is a beast with high end skill and hockey sense. Monahan isn't ready to be an impact player in the NHL. Even if he were to crack a roster he will struggle for one or two years. Lindholm is only one year away from being productive I think.

I'll also add that Lindholm is EXACTLY the same size as Galchenyuk, they both measured 6'0.5 at the combine and both were/are around 190 pounds. Yet Galchenyuk was viewed by many as a "big" center before the draft. Lindholm is not big compared to Monahan or Barkov but there are certainly no "size issues" with him.

AlbertaHockey20

Feb 25, 2012
I'll also add that Lindholm is EXACTLY the same size as Galchenyuk, they both measured 6'0.5 at the combine and both were/are around 190 pounds. Yet Galchenyuk was viewed by many as a "big" center before the draft. Lindholm is not big compared to Monahan or Barkov but there are certainly no "size issues" with him.
The only question mark I have on Lindholm is caused by own ignorance. Is he good at faceoffs? I don't know that. I'll also add that it is encouraging to think that he could be broken into the league on the wing or at centre depending on depth issues. He is a multifaceted player that can help in a lot of areas.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Regarding Lindholm and Stu, I believe he said something to the effect of, "If we draft him, he'll be big enough" a little cryptic, but it doesn't sound as if they've been ignoring him

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Regarding Lindholm and Stu, I believe he said something to the effect of, "If we draft him, he'll be big enough" a little cryptic, but it doesn't sound as if they've been ignoring him

Stauffer: "Stu does Lindholm being smaller than Barkov or Monahan factor in with you guys, does it matter?"

Stu: "Not if we draft him"

Something close to that......wasn't a ringing endorsement. I'm hoping people are right and the Oilers are playing coy about Lindholm.....but I just get a feeling listening to the Oiler guys that they aren't big on him. I hope I'm wrong......

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Good to hear that Stu has some positive things to say. What makes Barkov the better prospect? Sounds like Lindholm could have been a top 3 pick in any other year.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree, but for a different view, Gare Joyce (who I believe is supposed to be on Oilers Now tomorrow) had a few tweets about this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL/status/344478733295554562

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL/status/344479212020846592

Come on Jones...Fall to 7 ;)

I'd take Elias over Monahan, but I think I'm in the minority here.

I probably would too. I think he's got higher potential and is still tough to knock off the puck, even if he isn't 6-3

The only question mark I have on Lindholm is caused by own ignorance. Is he good at faceoffs? I don't know that. I'll also add that it is encouraging to think that he could be broken into the league on the wing or at centre depending on depth issues. He is a multifaceted player that can help in a lot of areas.

He didn't take many draws this season, but he won 58% of the ones he took. So no one is really sure about that yet.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Stauffer: "Stu does Lindholm being smaller than Barkov or Monahan factor in with you guys, does it matter?"

Stu: "Not if we draft him"

Something close to that......wasn't a ringing endorsement. I'm hoping people are right and the Oilers are playing coy about Lindholm.....but I just get a feeling listening to the Oiler guys that they aren't big on him. I hope I'm wrong......

that was it - people are kinda going at this thing in a weird way - MacT says they want a centre first and foremost - people scream, why are you telling everyone this, you're ruining everything rookie! Noone says anything about Lindholm - why aren't you mentioning Lindholm!?! we're not gonna take him!! We're going to pass on him and suck! Funny.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Conkanen*

This. I hope the Oil run to the podium to draft this kid.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I think the Oilers should and will take this guy, They say his skating and monement are awesome for a guy his size! Could be like Chara or Pronger and i like that he has some offensive upside

8 Zadorov, Nikita LD 4/15/1995 L 6.05.25 230 London OHL

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The hockey sense comment is quite troubling.

Last thing anyone wants out of a highly drafted defenseman is another Cam Barker.

I am no Seth Jones booster, but I am quite confident he will turn out better than Cam Barker, I think his hockey sense is fine, he just needs to be more physically assertive around the net. Usually when I see him beat on a play it's cause he didn't physically engage on the guy he was covering or he tries picking up a missed coverage assignment and is just a quarter second too late getting back to his own guy.

Oct 15, 2008

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I am no Seth Jones booster, but I am quite confident he will turn out better than Cam Barker, I think his hockey sense is fine, he just needs to be more physically assertive around the net. Usually when I see him beat on a play it's cause he didn't physically engage on the guy he was covering or he tries picking up a missed coverage assignment and is just a quarter second too late getting back to his own guy.

Was just commenting that if true, it's a troubling comment. Peak of draft hype, and NHL scouts sitting around questioning Jones's hockey sense? It would be a big concern for anyone looking to draft him, and comparable to Barker who dominated the Juniors but didn't have the hockey sense and skating to develop at the NHL level.

But it's the time of year where the rumors are flying, and things start becoming murky. Just going through Joyce's twitter account shows he's the one who said Nichuskin was quitting on fitness tests and had a bad attitude, which contradicts other reports coming out of the combine.

Won't know if there are any truths to the claims unless Jones falls a bunch of spots in the draft.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Pretty sure the #1 pick every year gets his game picked apart ad nauseum.

Would I be crazy to pick Gauthier over the 2nd tier centers e.g. Lazar and Horvat?

What about Morin over Nurse & Nadorov?

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Pretty sure the #1 pick every year gets his game picked apart ad nauseum.

Would I be crazy to pick Gauthier over the 2nd tier centers e.g. Lazar and Horvat?

What about Morin over Nurse & Nadorov?

Yes. That's my opinion but yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: