Recalled/Assigned: 2013 Dallas Stars Roster Movement

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Also announced today that Stars have released Austin Fyten from PTO with R. Smith assignment.

Not sure how good Austin Fyten is, but if Smith is basically kicking him off the team then maybe this isn't temporary. Of course Texas could easily just sign Fyten to another PTO on Friday.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Fyten has been....meh. Basically 4th liner even in the AHL. He's been a healthy scratch for what seems like the last month except for maybe one or two games.

Not really a big deal.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That makes way more sense then, nevermind.

Yeah .... everyone getting healthy made him expendable. This has been a long time coming. They still have Bretton Cameron and Mathieu Tousignant as extra forwards. I'd expect one of them ... probably Tousignant honestly .... to get demoted soon.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Fraser should stay down at this point. Finish the season on a high note in the AHL while working on his defensive game and getting good minutes.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is a mistake. They've called up Reilly Smith, and he's practicing with the team.

MetalGodAOD*

Its pretty obvious it was just a one game thing, since he's in Frisco already. He probably drove back last night.

He dominated that game last night, so maybe it's not a confidence thing? I was also surprised when I looked the other day to see that Reilly has the highest relative CORSI on the team. So he's making things happen, even if he's not scoring.

Hopefully he just needs a summer to put on some pounds. Still would rather have Fraser up.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Dammit, knew it.

Though Texas doesn't have a game until Saturday. Maybe he'll be sent back down just before that? I hope? Possibly? Huh? HUH?!?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Why not give Chiasson a shot?

The same reason they never game James Neal a shot his first pro season. These guys should focus on the AHL. Alex looks very good, but let him focus on getting his game to the point he's dominating every night. He's no there yet.

Honestly ... both Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser are, but I still think they could both spend a bit more time in the AHL. Fraser I'm not as certain about since they've never really given him a fair look, but Reilly looks like a different player in the NHL. He's an unmistakable presence on the ice in the AHL that looks dangerous every shift.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The same reason they never game James Neal a shot his first pro season. These guys should focus on the AHL. Alex looks very good, but let him focus on getting his game to the point he's dominating every night. He's no there yet.

Honestly ... both Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser are, but I still think they could both spend a bit more time in the AHL. Fraser I'm not as certain about since they've never really given him a fair look, but Reilly looks like a different player in the NHL. He's an unmistakable presence on the ice in the AHL that looks dangerous every shift.

100% correct, and even more so for Morrow, Oleksiak, and Nemeth. When they don't have anything else to learn in the AHL they can come up, but I would rather have the move to the NHL be permanent rather than a yo-yo.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Bummer, but not surprised Smith is back up. I'd at least like to see several games in a row for Fraser. Believe he's second in the AHL in goals and first in PP goals. I suppose he can still improve his defensive game but not sure how much more beneficial AHL games are to him. Deserves a shot to see what he can do in Dallas for an extended period especially considering the time Smith has been given.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Fraser is about as ready as a prospect can get. It's just hard to differentiate between him and Smith because it's two completely different styles of play.

Fraser is a pure goalscorer, and his only job is to forecheck well and be in the right place at the right time with a fantastic shot. All of which he has.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Fraser is about as ready as a prospect can get. It's just hard to differentiate between him and Smith because it's two completely different styles of play.

Fraser is a pure goalscorer, and his only job is to forecheck well and be in the right place at the right time with a fantastic shot. All of which he has.

Agreed. I am not sure how it would work out but Fraser has definitely earned an extended look. It's time to check him out in the NHL.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
This is part of why the Ryder trade was so frustrating to me. His departure was supposed to open up a spot for Fraser to get extended playing time, instead we have Cole zooming around getting nothing done. Should've never become a R. Smith vs. Fraser thing as they really bring two totally different kinds of games.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

The Stars have recalled Toby Petersen, he's practicing this morning in Frisco.

I know people will be disappointed, but I see Toby Petersen getting called up as a perfect sign Dallas Stars are in the right mind set.

Now if they'd just send Smith down, and let him marinate more in the AHL.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I would think he's only getting the call due to the injury of Fiddler, then will be sent down once Vern is healthy.

I wonder what happened to Toby. I remember him being a great bottom 6 player for us back in 2008 and especially in our playoffs run. Come to think of it, man he's been with us for what? 5 years now? Damn lol. Hopefully he's in the lineup tomorrow, I wouldn't mind seeing him play again.

Last edited:

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Guess this means Wandell is still hurt as I'd figured they'd call him up first. Guess we'll see Tousi tonight in CPC.

I don't mind this move either, may also show that Dallas is actually supporting Texas in their playoff run instead of calling up Chaisson or Fraser. Tonight will be a rough game for Texas I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad