2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/11-10/3)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
"interesting"

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 55s
#CBJ lines today: Jenner-Dubinsky-Gaborik, Letestu-Anisimov-Comeau, Calvert-Johansen-Atkinson, Umberger-MacKenzie-Foligno.

Umberger and Foligno on the 4th line? Coach Richards needs to spend less time on HFBoards! :sarcasm:
Obviously, I like the lines.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Actually getting those guys in for 7-8 minutes

Umberger and Foligno on the 4th line? Coach Richards needs to spend less time on HFBoards! :sarcasm:
Obviously, I like the lines.

may allow them both to play balls out. If they don't Derek McKenzie will make them look bad. No time for showboats or loafers in 2013-14. Lets GO Jackets!!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I may be in the minority but that 4th line looks to me like it sucks.
No offense and it doesn't look like an energy line. I think Porty suggested in his chat today that this line may be employed more as a checking 3rd line. Guess that suits them better. I think trying to roll 4 lines is too Arnielish for me. Time will tell.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I think trying to roll 4 lines is too Arnielish for me.

I think it's almost unavoidable – it's kinda what keeps teams on their toes against us. We also didn't have nearly the depth at forward we currently do when Arniel was coaching, so it's night and day IMO.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If you don't have 4 lines you can roll in an 82 game schedule you are going suck wind the last 10-15 games. You need a 4th line you can trust for 10-12 minute a night.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it's almost unavoidable – it's kinda what keeps teams on their toes against us. We also didn't have nearly the depth at forward we currently do when Arniel was coaching, so it's night and day IMO.

If you don't have 4 lines you can roll in an 82 game schedule you are going suck wind the last 10-15 games. You need a 4th line you can trust for 10-12 minute a night.

exactamundo.

Thats how we were able to compete night in and night out(well besides the occasional Bob bailout :sarcasm:) Not knowing which lines were going to start or who they were going to match up against. Everyone likes to pick on Joey because he cant score, but as long as he can keep shutting down opposing teams top centers I wouldnt mind. Whether he would still be given that task on a line with Atkinson and Calvert is questionable. But I could definitely see that line giving a lot of #2 lines a lot of trouble. Joey got even bigger and stronger in the offseason while Calvert and Atkinson are both little tanks with blazing wheels. It will definitely make for some interesting combinations, and then in a few months when Horton comes back there will be a whole new set of line combinations.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I really hope Richards gives Joey Cam and Calvert atleast 2 weeks to see if they can score long term. It would really be nice to see if Joey could put up points with a legitimate threat on his line. Richards also better keep Umbergers ass on the bench when it comes to the powerplay. Make him prove he can score before he gets minutes. I understand having a guy in front of the net that can jam home rebounds, but we do not need two of them out there at the same time. (Duby and Umby) Cam Arty Gabby Duby Joey Jenner and probably Letestu should be the forwards on the PP. Foligno and Umberger need to score more goals before you instantly reward them. Im glad hes not doing that like he did all of last season.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think it is more that Johansen gets flack because is a number five pick in the first round who cannot score.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think it is more that Johansen gets flack because is a number five pick in the first round who cannot score.

I think Johansen gets flack because he's a number 4 pick who people expect to score 50+ points when he's still learning the game.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I think Johansen gets flack because he's a number 4 pick who people expect to score 50+ points when he's still learning the game.

Joey gets flak because evidently the cbj coaches and brass see some floating and/or attitude problems which result in demotions to the farm club, scratches, and limiting his ice time.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Joey gets flak because evidently the cbj coaches and brass see some floating and/or attitude problems which result in demotions to the farm club, scratches, and limiting his ice time.

One demotion to the AHL, in which he was called up like a week and a half later, and he was only scratched under Arniel in the NHL. He was scratched in the AHL for floating, yes. But tbh I don't really care about how Johansen does in the AHL. Would it have been good for him? Yeah, but if he can play in the NHL, he can play in the NHL.

Not sure what you mean by limited ice time, he played plenty last season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In 107 games he has averaged about .3 pts/game and very consistently too. Unfortunately for him being a 4th pick does somewhat raise expectations. He is young and maybe this will be his Kadri year where he breaks out a bit. Seems to have all the physical tools, now he just needs to get his head right.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
In 107 games he has averaged about .3 pts/game and very consistently too. Unfortunately for him being a 4th pick does somewhat raise expectations. He is young and maybe this will be his Kadri year where he breaks out a bit. Seems to have all the physical tools, now he just needs to get his head right.

I'm not sure Johansen's got that much of a head to grow into, at least not compared to Kadri. Johansen makes some droolworthy "slow the game down" kind of plays, but I wonder if he can think the game fast enough.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
One demotion to the AHL, in which he was called up like a week and a half later, and he was only scratched under Arniel in the NHL. He was scratched in the AHL for floating, yes. But tbh I don't really care about how Johansen does in the AHL. Would it have been good for him? Yeah, but if he can play in the NHL, he can play in the NHL.

Not sure what you mean by limited ice time, he played plenty last season.

Richards played Aaron Johnson over him a few times in 11-12

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
no cage for Erixon at practice and Boll has returned to practice as well

Prout next to JJ in Tyutin's place...sounds like Tyutin will be out for the weekend...

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Saw Oliver Gabriel as being an injured players on the NHL release of rosters. What is his ailment and how long is he out?

Tore his achilles. I haven't heard a time frame for his return. He's been having a lot of injuries due to freak accidents. His leg was lacerated with a skate last year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Johansen is, in my opinion, in a very similar position as Voracek was before he got traded.

Johansen has the physical ability. He has the defensive ability. What he lacks is the offensive breakthrough and mental maturity. If you compare the two, they are very similar in style and what they choose to do with the puck. Jake was a bit faster and Joey is a little more lanky (plus playing center he has greater defensive responsibility).

If Johansen gets more confidence, finds some chemistry, and earns the trust of the coaches, he really can be a PPG player. That said, those are 3 difficult elements to master and we've never really had a forward break out like that before.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 7m
Sure sounds like this week’s #CBJ line combos will debut tomorrow night: 38-17-10, 55-42-14, 11-19-13, 18-24-71; 7-47, 27-21, 6-20/58

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 7m
Sure sounds like this week’s #CBJ line combos will debut tomorrow night: 38-17-10, 55-42-14, 11-19-13, 18-24-71; 7-47, 27-21, 6-20/58

What a coincidence, those were last night's winning powerball numbers!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 7m

So now we know for sure that Umberger isn't a 3rd liner :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad