GDT: 2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread II (Forsberg for Erat & Latta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
They're now saying he could play tomorrow. Will be on NBCSN, but thankfully there is a Chicago-St Louis game earlier being covered by NBC so no having to deal with Pierre to watch him.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Even if i would like Forsberg to remain a Caps-player ,having Erat around in playoff is so much more value right now.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Even if i would like Forsberg to remain a Caps-player ,having Erat around in playoff is so much more value right now.

This is a true statement, but it also suggests that this Caps team is built and ready to win a Cup now, that we were essentially one forward away. However there is considerable disagreement as to that statement. Most people here think we are not one player, let alone one 2nd line winger, away from being a complete Cup worthy roster.

If we were one player away, that player would have been a minute munching, crease clearing monster D man like a Pronger or a Chara. A guy who could be ferocious to play against for opposing forwards, but also chip in some solid offense as well. That's the one player we should be trading future stalwart prospects for. Not 2LWs with big salaries.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The way I see it...

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Johansson
Brouwer
Laich
Kuznetsov
Ribeiro
Erat
Perreault
Fehr
Ward

Are assets that we have that can play in the top 6 as soon as next year. That's the kind of forward depth that's needed to be a top team.

For all we know FF could bust, and this could be a great trade. FF could also turn into a 60ish point forward, but really that's what Erat is, and we got Latta as well, who has as good of a chance to be a Downie type player as FF has to be a point per game player.

But all I know is I'm happy with what our forward group looks like now.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I like Erat very much. He plays an honest game. I expect him to be a gamer in the playoffs. Latta is unknown but I doubt Poile would trade him if he saw any Dale Hunter potential in him.

Now, is Erat what the Caps need? Is that acquisition alone a major move? I don't think it's particularly significant. Our defense is still weak. An excellent 2nd line winger alone is not nearly enough to justify trading Forsberg. George doesn't have a concerted plan to build a championship team. That's the problem. If this deal was in addition to bolstering the D then I'd be more understanding.

I also didn't like how George said publicly, immediately after the trade, that his scouts approved the trade. It is disrespectful to Poile and to Forsberg to publicly say that Forsberg probably won't amount to much. It's just low class to say that. If its true, then make the trade and let it play out. Don't try to justify your desperation trade by disrespecting Poile and Forsberg.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
This is a true statement, but it also suggests that this Caps team is built and ready to win a Cup now, that we were essentially one forward away. However there is considerable disagreement as to that statement. Most people here think we are not one player, let alone one 2nd line winger, away from being a complete Cup worthy roster.

If we were one player away, that player would have been a minute munching, crease clearing monster D man like a Pronger or a Chara. A guy who could be ferocious to play against for opposing forwards, but also chip in some solid offense as well. That's the one player we should be trading future stalwart prospects for. Not 2LWs with big salaries.

Maybe we aren't, but with OV/Backstrom/Green producing at elite levels again that can sure mask some holes. The cap doesn't allow a team to have no holes. We need to go for it while those guys are still elite.

Next year Green could have groin problems again, Backstrom another concussion, OV back to uninspired hockey. Can't take that chance.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Maybe we aren't, but with OV/Backstrom/Green producing at elite levels again that can sure mask some holes. The cap doesn't allow a team to have no holes. We need to go for it while those guys are still elite.

Next year Green could have groin problems again, Backstrom another concussion, OV back to uninspired hockey. Can't take that chance.

How did surrounding Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green with crap work out the first 5 times we tried it?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The way I see it...

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Johansson
Brouwer
Laich
Kuznetsov
Ribeiro
Erat
Perreault
Fehr
Ward

Are assets that we have that can play in the top 6 as soon as next year. That's the kind of forward depth that's needed to be a top team.

For all we know FF could bust, and this could be a great trade. FF could also turn into a 60ish point forward, but really that's what Erat is, and we got Latta as well, who has as good of a chance to be a Downie type player as FF has to be a point per game player.

But all I know is I'm happy with what our forward group looks like now.

Its what Erat WAS. Not IS.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Tonight is a win win for the trade haters. Forsberg doesn't perform well, geesh it's his first game as an 18 year-old. Looks good and all the talk about his "weaknesses" looks like management PR. GMGM really took a huge gamble with this; SC finals or bust. The only other saving grace would be if Latta turns out to be Downie 2.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I like Erat very much. He plays an honest game. I expect him to be a gamer in the playoffs. Latta is unknown but I doubt Poile would trade him if he saw any Dale Hunter potential in him.

Now, is Erat what the Caps need? Is that acquisition alone a major move? I don't think it's particularly significant. Our defense is still weak. An excellent 2nd line winger alone is not nearly enough to justify trading Forsberg. George doesn't have a concerted plan to build a championship team. That's the problem. If this deal was in addition to bolstering the D then I'd be more understanding.

I also didn't like how George said publicly, immediately after the trade, that his scouts approved the trade. It is disrespectful to Poile and to Forsberg to publicly say that Forsberg probably won't amount to much. It's just low class to say that. If its true, then make the trade and let it play out. Don't try to justify your desperation trade by disrespecting Poile and Forsberg.

My understanding is that Polie did not initially include Latta in the trade, but GMGM insisted on it. Perhaps that's more a statement about Poile being very high on Forsberg than down on Latta. Also, if we can question GMGM's assessment of Forsberg, we can certainly do the same with Poile.

As stated numerous times, time will tell who won this trade. Although Latta's stats with the Bears so far are pretty underwhelming. I think he has 1 assist in like 6 games.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
George had also said he wanted bodies, not picks. George talked Poile out of a pick for Latta instead.

What would that pick have been, a 2nd or 3rd perhaps?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nashville has Austin Watson, who is every bit the two-way center that Latta is. Not as physical but more skill, higher hockey IQ and higher upside.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I've always been impressed with how well Forsberg handles himself in interviews.

I guess this is the thread for people who will be viewing the Predators game?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
If I'm McPhee, I'm nervous about Forsberg looking really good; not because it necessarily means the trade is bad, but certainly it could bring some media attention to the trade again and puts pressure on Erat. I wonder if he anticipated the kid getting NHL ice time this early.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
He'll sweep it under the rug, about how good Erat has been for the Caps already... After all 7 game winning streak.

In reality if he has a scoring chance on his first shift, he will have as many as Erat does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille