GDT: 2013 Beanpot

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Well it's the first Monday in February and that means it is time for one of the great traditions in the Boston sports landscape, the Beanpot. Seems all 4 teams enter this year's Beanpot somewhat struggling. Anyway my prediction, NU-5 BU-4 in the first game, and BC-5 Harvard-1 in the second game. For NU this may be the only thing they have to play for as they're in danger of missing the Hockey East playoffs. Sorry if the Beanpot is not worthy of a thread, feel free to delete if necessary.

Last edited:

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I was literally just going to make this same thread.

Nu vs Bu at 5
Bc vs Harvard at 730ish

I'm going nu wins 4-2 ans BC takes it 4-1

This is northeasterns playoffs and only hopes of saving any face for this season. Not to mention nu topped Bu just a few weeks ago.

Let's go huskies!!

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I was literally just going to make this same thread.

Nu vs Bu at 5
Bc vs Harvard at 730ish

I'm going nu wins 4-2 ans BC takes it 4-1

This is northeasterns playoffs and only hopes of saving any face for this season. Not to mention nu topped Bu just a few weeks ago.

Let's go huskies!!

ok good, I wasn't the only one counting down to 5pm today. I grew up a BC fan but I'm now gonna be pursuing my masters at NU, so I sort jumped sides on the rivalry :laugh:. GO HUSKIES!!! Although Roby is killing the hockey program by putting so much emphasis on basketball, even going to sell beer at Matthews for bball outside of the Varsity Club, but that's a discussion for another time and another forum, like uscho.com.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I am taking my kid to his first Beanpot on Monday and hoping for BC/BU just because of the nostalgia. A Harvard/NU final just doesnt have the same pizzazz.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I am taking my kid to his first Beanpot on Monday and hoping for BC/BU just because of the nostalgia. A Harvard/NU final just doesnt have the same pizzazz.

A NU-Harvard final would be history considering it has never happened in the history of the Beanpot. Kind of mind blowing when you think of all the times they could have met, I know BC and BU dominate this tourney but you figure once in all the times the Beanpot has been that the Huskies and Crimson would meet in the finals.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
A NU-Harvard final would be history considering it has never happened in the history of the Beanpot. Kind of mind blowing when you think of all the times they could have met, I know BC and BU dominate this tourney but you figure once in all the times the Beanpot has been that the Huskies and Crimson would meet in the finals.

Good points. Very interesting. I just looked and it was way back in 1992 when there was a non-BU or BC winner.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I know they aren't in the Beanpot, but it applies to college hockey.

Holy ****, where the eff did Quinnipiac come from?!

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA

They spent some years laying a good foundation, building a new arena, having Pecknold provide long term coaching stability (17 years). They don't exactly play a killer schedule but obviously they're moving in the right direction at a ridiculously rapid pace. Even with their high ranking they definitely seem like a prime candidate to fall as a #1 seed in the first round because of their soft schedule. That said they're rise has been nothing short of impressive, wish NU could get things going in the right direction sometime soon.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

LOL...reminds me of Merrimack coming out of nowhere! They have 14 Canadian/imported players on Q's roster which is how Merrimack got good. With BU/BC/Harvard/NU and other prolific hockey programs getting all the stud local talent Merrimack and Q have to rely on imports and it seems to be working for those programs.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
NU has beaten the other three teams so far this year. Stranger things have happened!

Go Huskies!

NASCL

Jun 22, 2010
Pulling for NU but I don't see them beating BU twice in less than a month.

Harvard had a stealth contending team but lost a few players in the cheating scandal and sank back to mediocrity.

BU - BC final. Again.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
NU has beaten the other three teams so far this year. Stranger things have happened!

Go Huskies!

Confident isn't the right word, but I am optimistic that they can pull one out vs BU. Against BC, it's tough to erase the 9-3 beating at Matthews from my mind but I'll worry about BC if the Huskies manage to get past BU. Gotta play a solid 60 minutes and stop blowing multi-goal leads in the third as seen vs UMass Lowell twice, and vs BU (though they did salvage the 6-5 win).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not a fan of any of the Beanpot teams (oldest attends UNH so we root for them), but I believe BC is going to win.

My guess is it will be BU and BC in the final.

That said, since as often as not the teams I root for almost always end up losing, history will probably be made and it will be a NU and Harvard final.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I'm a UNH fan at heart, but during the lockout I started watching NU games because they stream them online for free, so I gotta root for NU here

Plus I really don't like BC or BU

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If my kid could ever play college hockey and play in the Beanpot my choice of the team he plays for:
1. Harvard
2. BC
3. BU
4. NU

Academics play the largest role for me and the fact that BU has had a rough patch with player behavior.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
If my kid could ever play college hockey and play in the Beanpot my choice of the team he plays for:
1. Harvard
2. BC
3. BU
4. NU

Academics play the largest role for me and the fact that BU has had a rough patch with player behavior.

You taking a shot at NU's academics:laugh:. You mean to tell me NU is not on the same level as Harvard. I'd be happy if I ever had a kid he would be able to play at any of those schools, preferably a Husky though.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
1. Harvard
2. BC
3. BU
4. NU

NU >= BU in academics... and doesn't have players acting out of sorts. Not to mention NU has a real campus that ranks among the safest nationally versus BU's 3 mile long strip and not so good safety record. I'm just saying.

bu is by far my least favorite school in this tournament. and hockey east.

The real theme of the night should be
game 1. battle of boston
game 2. the boroughs

Harbinger04

Jan 29, 2007
boston
NU >= BU in academics... and doesn't have players acting out of sorts. Not to mention NU has a real campus that ranks among the safest nationally versus BU's 3 mile long strip and not so good safety record. I'm just saying.

bu is by far my least favorite school in this tournament. and hockey east.

The real theme of the night should be
game 1. battle of boston
game 2. the boroughs

NU has been leaping up the national college rankings for the past 5-10 years. Our academics are pretty dam good

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Northeastern is way overpriced for what it is, especially the undergrad programs. A free ride is a free ride though.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
NU has been leaping up the national college rankings for the past 5-10 years. Our academics are pretty dam good

I agree. but ya it is costly... very costly so scholarships are clutch.

First was wide open... cant say I hated it. Rawlings horrifies me

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Definitely some make up calls owed to NU in the third. The hit from behind was questionable. The boarding call on Manson was flat out wrong, it was just a crushing body check.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
That hit by Manson was incredible. I'm surprised that BU kid got back up after that. It was not a penalty in any way either. You can't get two minutes for hitting too hard. That was a classic Kyle McLaren hip blast right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad