GDT: 2013 Beanpot

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Rooting for Northeastern in this one. Tired of hearing about how great Boston College is.
You must really be exhausted by now.

The truth is...BC is great. Four Beanpots in a row on top of three National Championships in the last four. If that isn't great, well....what is?

Honestly, I'd like to see better competition for BC locally. There are some great coaches here among BU, Harvard, Northeastern. Why can't they recruit like Jerry York? Harvard, particularly, can offer an Ivy League education along with an outstanding athletic program.

A few years ago I was willing to rename the Beanpot, the "Parker Trophy". Now, I'm not so sure.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

The truth is...BC is great. Four Beanpots in a row on top of three National Championships in the last four. If that isn't great, well....what is?

Honestly, I'd like to see better competition for BC locally. There are some great coaches here among BU, Harvard, Northeastern. Why can't they recruit like Jerry York? Harvard, particularly, can offer an Ivy League education along with an outstanding athletic program.

A few years ago I was willing to rename the Beanpot, the "Parker Trophy". Now, I'm not so sure.

You're on a nice run. Simmer down there, champ. BU has still won close to half of all Beanpots played.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
BC just had too much talent. NU hung tough, made it a game in the 3rd. Rawlings really put them in a bad spot with that end of the 2nd period meltdown. If NU can bring the effort they brought to the Beanpot maybe they can sneak into the Hockey East playoffs. 25 year drought, what's one more year. Roy is gonna be a treat to watch if he sticks around for at least another year. Can't say I'll be sad to see Rawlings go.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I thought the BU/Harvard game was much more exciting...a little chippy but more exciting. I was really impressed with Colin Blackwell (local kid). He skates and looks a lot like Kessel out on the ice. Kid got a lot of ice time and played well. Matt Grzelcyk was OK. Seems very small and had some nice rushes with the puck but didnt jump out at me as a standout defenseman and certainly an offensive puck moving defenseman. BU plays very undisciplined and seemed to take plenty of poor penalties. Also noticed BU kept goalie pulled in the last 30 seconds and only had 5 skaters on the ice (no penalties). I wasnt sure if that was done intentionally by Parker or just an oversight. BC game was exciting for a bit but it was just a matter of time. BC carried play and had a ton more chances. BC was class of tournament.

Turk 16

May 3, 2011
South Shore, MA

Harvard and the other Ivies don't give out athletic scholarships. Although "need-based" giving for athletes can be finessed to a certain degree, it still places these schools at a significant recruiting disadvantage with the cost of attending around $50k/year.

Harvard was supposed to have a much better year, the loss of two of their best sophomores (McNally and Everson) to suspensions stemming from alleged cheating didn't help either.

BC was clearly the class of the tourney (again) and deserves kudos. But dang it would be nice to see a Harvard-NU final someday!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad