GDT: 2013 Beanpot

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
NU needs to stop taking penalties though.

As for the academics I think it also depends a lot on what program a person is interested in. I have heard good things about NU's engineering program.

Cost is an issue for any college anymore.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If my kid could ever play college hockey and play in the Beanpot my choice of the team he plays for:
1. Harvard
2. BC
3. BU
4. NU

Academics play the largest role for me and the fact that BU has had a rough patch with player behavior.

They are all good schools....(well no, wait, I refuse to say anything good about BC) but if a kid is a good kid they will stay out of trouble, no matter what the others do.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Kevin Roy was ridiculous, season still remains salvageable for NU. Now lets see who the Huskies will be meeting next week. Would like to play Harvard most likely will be underdogs vs BC.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Well BC is my least favorite team so I would love to see Harvard win.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
At game Kevin Roy is amazing. Could make it with Ducks

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Kevin Roy was ridiculous, season still remains salvageable for NU. Now lets see who the Huskies will be meeting next week. Would like to play Harvard most likely will be underdogs vs BC.

if the huskies win the beanpot the season is not only saved but its a victory.

3 beanpot finals during my time at NU. would like to see two wins for once.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
if the huskies win the beanpot the season is not only saved but its a victory.

3 beanpot finals during my time at NU. would like to see two wins for once.

What is your take on Cody Ferriero

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Good to see NU maybe trending upward, not downward at the beanpot time.

Oh and of all the CEO's in the Boston area, NU has the most. It may be expensive, but you can't beat the alumni network. I have been hired through my NU connections for both of my jobs. My civil engineering graduating class in 2010 had 100% job or grad school placement within 6 months.

That being said, if you plan on moving out of metro Boston after you graduate, its not worth the price.

Richard Murray

Jun 25, 2007
Boston, MA
Was a very emotional press conference for BU captain Wade Megan. He shed a few tears.

I spoke with Matt Grzelyck after the game who was pretty quiet. Obviously upset you could tell her and the others wanted this for the seniors.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Was a very emotional press conference for BU captain Wade Megan. He shed a few tears.

I spoke with Matt Grzelyck after the game who was pretty quiet. Obviously upset you could tell her and the others wanted this for the seniors.

:laugh: poor kids having to learn a hard lesson that despite winning many Beanpots it is not a birthright at BU to win one. First class to not win one since the class of 65, ouch.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If my kid could ever play college hockey and play in the Beanpot my choice of the team he plays for:
1. Harvard
2. BC
3. BU
4. NU

Academics play the largest role for me and the fact that BU has had a rough patch with player behavior.

When I was at Wentworth,I had a calculus teacher who taught at Harvard. I remember her saying "You have the same books and curriculum here that they're teaching at Harvard."

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
The value of a big name school for undergrads is extremely overrated, it's pretty much the same everywhere. Not worth a lifetime of debt. Grad school, yes.

Great point, that's why I ended up going to Curry and my only other applications were to state schools. The amount of financial aid and scholarships I got at Curry was the only reason I went private instead of a state school. I think at the undergrad point your education is what you make of it. Even at Curry I had a prof who also taught at Brown. Now I'm going to do my grad school at Northeastern.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I'm a UNH fan at heart, but during the lockout I started watching NU games because they stream them online for free, so I gotta root for NU here

Plus I really don't like BC or BU

I gotta give NU a lot of credit for streaming their games online for free. College hockey isn't a big sport tv wise so it's nice to know when NU is at home there's always a game to watch. A lot of schools charge absurd amounts of money to watch their games, I know Harvard and UML charge 10$ a game or something like 80$ for a season pass.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
NU vs BC. I'll take it. Let's go huskies!

I think more schools should have coop programs ive learned so much on my 3 coops. Its amazing. And making money mixed in with classes helped pay for books n food n such.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
NU vs BC. I'll take it. Let's go huskies!

I think more schools should have coop programs ive learned so much on my 3 coops. Its amazing. And making money mixed in with classes helped pay for books n food n such.

random question, do you post on the uscho forums under the same name you use here?

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Tough one for BU. I grew up and went to 7 Beanpots in a row when I was younger and always rooted for Harvard. Can't root for BC though and before I hated the fact that BU always won. However now that I have a family friend playing for BU I've been rooting for them.

If I could win it for anyone, it would still be Harvard, even though most of the kids that I have met over the years that went there had no business in being there which has always been the silver lining.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
They spent some years laying a good foundation, building a new arena, having Pecknold provide long term coaching stability (17 years). They don't exactly play a killer schedule but obviously they're moving in the right direction at a ridiculously rapid pace. Even with their high ranking they definitely seem like a prime candidate to fall as a #1 seed in the first round because of their soft schedule. That said they're rise has been nothing short of impressive, wish NU could get things going in the right direction sometime soon.

LOL...reminds me of Merrimack coming out of nowhere! They have 14 Canadian/imported players on Q's roster which is how Merrimack got good. With BU/BC/Harvard/NU and other prolific hockey programs getting all the stud local talent Merrimack and Q have to rely on imports and it seems to be working for those programs.

I went to watch Harvard play Quinnipiac a couple of years ago, and came away impressed with the skill on their team. So I can't say I'm entirely surprised by their success this year. I can see your point about their softer schedule, but they are still a team that knows how to play hockey.

One thing I was struck by was the very differetn route by which the two teams got their players. Harvard's team was made up of almost entirely of players who went the prep school route, while Quinnipiac's team was entirely composed of kids who wnet the juniors route. Not saying anything about one route being better then the other - I just found it interesting.

As to the Beanpot, I'm rooting for NU, since my son's a freshman there. Kevin Roy seems like the real deal (although his 2nd and 3rd goals were a bit flukey, he was in the right place at the right time).

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I was literally just going to make this same thread.

Nu vs Bu at 5
Bc vs Harvard at 730ish

I'm going nu wins 4-2 ans BC takes it 4-1

This is northeasterns playoffs and only hopes of saving any face for this season. Not to mention nu topped Bu just a few weeks ago.

Let's go huskies!!

BTW, VERY nice job with the predictions. You were just an ENG away from being spot on! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad