Injury Report: 2013-2014 Uber Injury Updates Part 2 (Latest news in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER|TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Tomáš Vokoun |Blood Clot|09.20.23|3-6 mos|Unknown|Cleared to practice, no timetable on return|2.25.14| @penguins
Beau Bennett |Wrist/Hand| 11.22.13|3-4 Weeks(from 2.25)|3.18.14 - 3.25.14|Practiced with team|3.9.14| @penguins
Pascal Dupuis |ACL/Knee|12.27.13|No timeline|Out for Season|Rehabbing, 6-8 month recovery period|2.25.14| @penguins
Kris Letang|Stroke|2.7.14|Min. 6 Weeks|3.21.14(earliest)| Full story on pens.com |2.7.14| @penguins
Paul Martin|Broken Hand|2.25.14|4-6 Weeks|3.25.14 - 4.8.14|Had surgery on hand 2.27.14|2.28.14| @penguins
Chris Conner|Broken Foot|3.10.14|4-6 Weeks|4.7.14 - 4.21.14|Blocked shot, broke foot|3.10.14| @penguins
James Neal|Concussion|3.14.14|Unknown|Unknown|Saw doctor on 3.14, out indefinitely|3.14.14| @penguins
« 'Possible Return' calculated by calendar week, i.e. Friday to Friday, from the date reported unless otherwise noted »
« Pascal Dupuis article/video from penguins.nhl.com about his injury, surgery and rehab »
« Kris Letang article/video from penguins.nhl.com about his stroke and the recovery process »

3.14.14 - Practice @ Southpointe

Kris Letang, in full gear, Tomas Vokoun on the ice with conditioning coach Mike Kadar before #Penguins practice at Southpointe. @pgshelly

#Pens practice underway at Southpointe. Chris Kunitz is on the ice. James Neal is not. He and Vokoun are the only players missing.@penguins

James Neal saw the doctor Thursday afternoon and has been diagnosed with a concussion, per #Pens coach Bylsma. Out of the lineup now. @penguins

Bylsma on Neal: You don't know if you're talking about 1-2 days or much longer. You hope the symptoms subside & it's shorter than longer @penguins

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's good to see Bennett be acknowledged, Malkin sounds unrealistically optimistic. I'm interested in Megna being on the ice already.

"my leg hurts when anyone touches me. I should play tomorrow"

?!??!?!!?!?

SOMEONE TEACH GENO ENGLISH

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It's good to see Bennett be acknowledged, Malkin sounds unrealistically optimistic. I'm interested in Megna being on the ice already.

It's been about 5 and a half weeks since Bennett's surgery. I believe that typically casts come off around the 6 week mark, so I think his should be coming off soon.

I guess how quickly he returns after that will be based on how quickly he gets enough strength back to feel comfortable playing. I don't expect him to be shooting much when he first gets back. That won't be much of a problem if Sid makes the commitment to shoot more though.

Megna skating is a positive sign. It'd be nice for someone to return before their projected date for once.

?!??!?!!?!?

:laugh:

Exactly. I get that he wants to play, but all I can think of if how Neal played the first game of the season, agitated his injury in the first period and then was out for weeks.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

?!??!?!!?!?

I think we've learned that the medical staff shouldn't listen to Geno.

Malkin: Feel good. Play tomorrow.
Medical staff: You're spurting blood.
Malkin: Just scratch. Is nothing.
Medical staff: I think I see bone.
Malkin: Play tomorrow?

It's been about 5 and a half weeks since Bennett's surgery. I believe that typically casts come off around the 6 week mark, so I think his should be coming off soon.

I guess how quickly he returns after that will be based on how quickly he gets enough strength back to feel comfortable playing. I don't expect him to be shooting much when he first gets back. That won't be much of a problem if Sid makes the commitment to shoot more though.

Megna skating is a positive sign. It'd be nice for someone to return before their projected date for once.

Exactly. I get that he wants to play, but all I can think of if how Neal played the first game of the season, agitated his injury in the first period and then was out for weeks.

Hopefully Megna comes back before the 6 week mark, and stays up... and gets more minutes. Knowing what he even did would be helpful, 6 weeks could have just been the absolute worst case scenario. Speaking of skating, in Martin's interview on the Pens' sight he says that he might be skating in a few days if the Doctors allow it; no setbacks.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Thought the same thing. Hope they get smarter this time around

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think we've learned that the medical staff shouldn't listen to Geno.

Malkin: Feel good. Play tomorrow.
Medical staff: You're spurting blood.
Malkin: Just scratch. Is nothing.
Medical staff: I think I see bone.
Malkin: Play tomorrow?

Tis but a flesh wound!

Fire Shero*

It would sure be nice for these guys to get back so we don't have to watch a half dozen players who have no future in the NHL anymore.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Based on the Pens Roundup, Letang sounds good to go
Letang, who has been limited to 24 games this year due to injuries, had to wear a cast from Dec. 16-27, which caused his arm to stiffen and lose strength. But now he has full range of motion in his arm and regained his strength.

“I’m fine right now,†Letang said. “Strength and everything is good.â€

“(Letang) has been skating for the past three (days) quite extensively,†head coach Dan Bylsma said. “We’ll see where he goes for tomorrow’s game.â€

Geno sounds like a much bigger question mark
“Today was a good practice with the whole team and did a little bit of power play, too,†Malkin said. “We’ll see how I feel tomorrow. It was a hard practice for my legs today.

“I started battling in the corner. Tomorrow I’ll skate with the team and we’ll see. Maybe.â€

The final obstacle for Malkin is dealing with the pain while regaining his strength.

“If I feel no pain it’s ready to play,†Malkin said. “I’m just a little bit weak and a little bit painful.â€

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=698699&navid=DL|PIT|home

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I love Geno and I don't want to sound hard on the guy, but I'm sure if it were the Olympics he would play. If there's a chance of re injury then by all means he should sit. But if it's a matter of dealing with a little pain he should suit up.

And I'm sure if it was the playoffs, he would also play.

No need for him to play if he feels even the slightest bit of pain. It's the regular season in January, and we have a double digit lead on our division.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Impossible to say much about Geno without knowing exactly what the injury is. Rather him miss one more game than have to miss another month due to a re injury.

That said, if he really is a gtd, I think there's something getting lost in translation. Maybe it's not pain, just soreness from rehab/etc. I don't think the team will rush him back but you never know.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I love Geno and I don't want to sound hard on the guy, but I'm sure if it were the Olympics he would play. If there's a chance of re injury then by all means he should sit. But if it's a matter of dealing with a little pain he should suit up.

I completely disagree. These games mean nothing. We have a huge lead in our division. He shouldn't play unless he feels 100%.

Michael8771*

And I'm sure if it was the playoffs, he would also play.

No need for him to play if he feels even the slightest bit of pain. It's the regular season in January, and we have a double digit lead on our division.
Well, we likely could win the division even if he doesn't play another game till the playoffs. As I said, if he could re injure he should sit. If there's excruciating pain he should sit. If it's a matter of tolerating a little pain he should play. I'm sure a lot of guys play with bumps or bruises this time of year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I completely disagree. These games mean nothing. We have a huge lead in our division. He shouldn't play unless he feels 100%.

Bingo. There's absolutely no reason to rush anything when you have a 14 point lead in your division at the halfway point. Geno is too valuable to risk further injury when we're talking about games that are, ultimately, meaningless.

If this was early April and we're fighting for a playoff spot, then I'd get the complaints...but not right now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, we likely could win the division even if he doesn't play another game till the playoffs. As I said, if he could re injure he should sit. If there's excruciating pain he should sit. If it's a matter of tolerating a little pain he should play. I'm sure a lot of guys play with bumps or bruises this time of year.

how many are as valuable as Geno and have such a big lead on their division?

Michael8771*

how many are as valuable as Geno and have such a big lead on their division?
Geno's extremely valuable, did I say anything different? Did I suggest he play if there's a good chance of re injury? He's paid a lot money, yes? Maybe some fans are tired of watching a bunch of AHLers suiting up in the pens uniforms. It's getting annoying. And also, if you want home ice it's important to get guys back. Conversely if you don't care about such a thing we could just sit Sid and Neal and whoever for most games the rest of the season, you know, cause every game is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad