Injury Report: 2013-2014 Uber Injury Updates (Latest news in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This is what everyone on the boards wanted though. Not for him to be hurt but just off the top line.

Grass isn't always greener time...

to be fair, everyone wanted him off the top line when there were other options (like Bennett and Megna). Since those two were injured, most people had resigned themselves to the situation. Except for the past two weeks, Neal should be on the top line whenever Malkin is out.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
That really sucks for Duper :( Surely whatever forces are at work have to be satisfied now. Go curse some other team, voodoo witches. The only bright side is that Shero will trade for a winger, or Bennett cannot possibly be taken off that when he gets better, but all these things should've been done anyway and now we've lost Dupuis for the 3rd line. It never ends.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think as much as we disliked Dupuis being permanently attached to Sid's wing, I don't think anyone would have wanted him to be removed from it like this.

I still don't see us trading for a top 6 winger though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Dupuis being 35 and having major reconstructive knee surgery has to force Shero's hand in trading for a winger for Sid, right? Right?!

Either at the deadline, or during the summer, Shero better start working his ass off as far as getting Sid his long-term solution now. Even if Dupuis wasn't playing up to par before, he's not getting any younger and his knee is undergoing major surgery. Not good for a guy whose entire game relies on forechecking and his speed to be productive.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Unfortunate for Dupuis. Good hockey player but extremely out of place on a first line in this league. Wish him well in what will be a long recovery.

Hopefully Shero doesn't screw this up. I don't want to see Despres get traded for a tweener vet who can barely skate.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Dupuis being 35 and having major reconstructive knee surgery has to force Shero's hand in trading for a winger for Sid, right? Right?!

Either at the deadline, or during the summer, Shero better start working his ass off as far as getting Sid his long-term solution now. Even if Dupuis wasn't playing up to par before, he's not getting any younger and his knee is undergoing major surgery. Not good for a guy whose entire game relies on forechecking and his speed to be productive.

Probably getting ahead of myself, but if I were Pascal, I might just want the Penguins to Hatcher/Rathje/Ragnarsson/Pronger/Laperriere me.

ACL surgery at 35? Rehab's going to be longer than it would be for, say, Taylor Hall and by the time his legs get completely back (it was something like 18 months before Parise looked himself again), he'd be losing them due to age anyway.

I mean, at this point, his family's taken care of, but at his age, even if he's got all the competitive fire in the world, I don't know that his body cooperates with something like a ligament tear in his knee to get him anywhere near close to where he was even last week.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I feel bad for Dupuis that he's out with an injury. I would have preferred for Bylsma to see the light and take him off the 1st line rather than forcing his hand with an injury.

Your move Ray.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I hope Dupuis makes a full recovery for his sake.

It will be interesting to see what Shero does now, he has to make a move.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Dupuis going down long term sucks. The fact that the exciting young wingers that would find themselves bumped into the top six (Bennett, Megna) are also injured sucks even more.

That's a huge blow. Dupuis playing on the third line would have been a huge asset come playoffs if somebody had managed to displace him.

The only bright side I see is that with his cap hit on LTIR Shero will have the space to make a more significant move at the deadline without necessarily needing to send back salary.

Am I the only one who isn't upset?
I see this is a good thing.

1) Duper sucked this year, but as long as he could play, he was NEVER going to leave Sid's line. Last season when we had Iginlia it wasn't just HCDB, but Crosby never would let him off his line.

2) Duper on the 3rd line? Lets be real, I am not sure Duper is a grinder anymore. Hard to go back to being a grinder after being a scorer, and again if Duper was doing well as a grinder you know he'd be back on line 1.

3) Salary. We get relief, if we need a 3rd liner we can get one who costs less.

and the best part 4) Now Shero will have to get a winger and he will have to play with Crosby. With the salary relief and opening I think Matt Moulson would be perfect.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Despite everyone here constantly crapping on him, Dupuis was 4+3 in his last nine games. He was starting to play pretty well, so losing him does suck. Interested in seeing what the Pens do in the next few weeks in response to this injury.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Am I the only one who isn't upset?
I see this is a good thing.

Take a look at the active roster. Long look at it. Look at wilkes-barre too, while you're at it.

Name me an active player who would be even as effective as Dupuis would be in that spot (which isn't to say he didn't need upgrading), not including Neal.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Can't find any updates on Scuderi other than the fact he skated on the fourth pairing with Dumoulin. Any chance he plays against Columbus?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably getting ahead of myself, but if I were Pascal, I might just want the Penguins to Hatcher/Rathje/Ragnarsson/Pronger/Laperriere me.

ACL surgery at 35? Rehab's going to be longer than it would be for, say, Taylor Hall and by the time his legs get completely back (it was something like 18 months before Parise looked himself again), he'd be losing them due to age anyway.

I mean, at this point, his family's taken care of, but at his age, even if he's got all the competitive fire in the world, I don't know that his body cooperates with something like a ligament tear in his knee to get him anywhere near close to where he was even last week.

an ACL injury isn't what it was 20 years ago, Dupuis should be fine.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Can't find any updates on Scuderi other than the fact he skated on the fourth pairing with Dumoulin. Any chance he plays against Columbus?

I don't know. He was interviewed before the break and said something along the lines of the doctors weren't ready to clear him yet. They were supposed to review his X-rays again, so it could be up to another two weeks before he's cleared to play.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Take a look at the active roster. Long look at it. Look at wilkes-barre too, while you're at it.

Name me an active player who would be even as effective as Dupuis would be in that spot (which isn't to say he didn't need upgrading), not including Neal.

I'm thinking long term. The playoff roster will be better.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
This is just brutal, the way this season is going, we need to lock Sid and Geno in the basement to prevent them from getting badly injured too.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
an ACL injury isn't what it was 20 years ago, Dupuis should be fine.

Would have been a death sentence to his career in 94, this is true.

But it still took Parise more than a year before he looked himself again. Guy who's 26 will recover quicker than a guy who's 35...that's just biology.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006

But it still took Parise more than a year before he looked himself again. Guy who's 26 will recover quicker than a guy who's 35...that's just biology.

Exactly, outside of Adrian Peterson I have not seen anyone be 100% from an ACL in less than 1 full year (see RGIII this season).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

besides, there are varying degrees of 100%. I think it would be a bit foolish to assume he doesn't lose some speed from this, and that's a major issue since the only thing Dupuis has going for him (other than his work ethic) is his speed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sure, knee surgery has come a long way. That doesn't mean it's not a big deal for a guy who is 35 to come back from major reconstructive surgery and still be able to play his normal speed driven style of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad