Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and this is one of the biggest problems I had with Torts. This is one of the areas the game has changed alot the last ten years.

It just pays off much more now to take the puck to the net off the rush, instead of playing to put it below the hash-marks before you actually try to score. You will draw penaltys. You will push D's back more because they know they will be challenged.

When you can't hook and clutch and grab, a D is vunerable against a forward that actually challenge him. Good things come of it. They back down more which leaves more room to hit trailing players etc.

It seems the Bruins year in and year out jam the net hard and in the playoffs last year they jammed it so hard that our defense kept collapsing which is why Krug became such a force. The last few years IMO it's been the same teams Pittsburgh and Boston every year that have been the real class of the East. The Pens go harder to the net as well--and with Crosby, Malkin they have skill beyond anything we have.

The Rangers have proven they can play great defense. What they need to show is that they're a better than average offense. They don't have the skill of the Pens (but we do have better goaltending and defense)--the Bruins style of offense however is more than reachable. I have more hope for this year than last if only because we have more depth practically everywhere but especially at forward but Kreider for one needs to show up--needs to start becoming a force. An ability to roll 4 lines is also a key--having a good forecheck and some scoring from the bottom lines helps the top lines from always having to constantly regain momentum--takes a lot of pressure off of them. Rangers offense did not pressure or wear down other teams defenses last year nearly as much as they did in 11-12.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
What is being aired @ 11AM, a scrimmage? Is there any indication what numbers the prospects will be wearing?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I really like what we saw AV focus on in those drills shown.

A simple theme:
1. You win a puck in your own end.

2. You pass your way out of trouble.

3. You take the puck the length of the ice.

4. To the net.

While I agree with going to the net, my question is how successful will that be? We're not exactly a big and strong team.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
well he assisted you in making that list correct? a good number of those players dont even play center. so right there he is wrong about step being outside of the top 25 because he cant name 25 players who actually play center and are better than him. stepan was 21st in scoring overall last year and 11th among centers (1st american center). he also thinks step should play wing right? if anyone is top 25 at anything, they should keep doing it not try switching to a completely different position. and btw who really uses ESPN for hockey?

Thats right, i had a top 25 podriatrist who has shifted into being a very mediocre brain surgeon.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
My son who works for ESPN and who assisted me with this list says Huberdeau is a center. Better check out your program card.

I know someone who works at BMW doing marketing, he doesnt know how to build a car. Millions of car enthusiasts have a better inkling, but because he works at BMW he should know better? Read Ayn Rand.....

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It seems the Bruins year in and year out jam the net hard and in the playoffs last year they jammed it so hard that our defense kept collapsing which is why Krug became such a force. The last few years IMO it's been the same teams Pittsburgh and Boston every year that have been the real class of the East. The Pens go harder to the net as well--and with Crosby, Malkin they have skill beyond anything we have.

The Rangers have proven they can play great defense. What they need to show is that they're a better than average offense. They don't have the skill of the Pens (but we do have better goaltending and defense)--the Bruins style of offense however is more than reachable. I have more hope for this year than last if only because we have more depth practically everywhere but especially at forward but Kreider for one needs to show up--needs to start becoming a force. An ability to roll 4 lines is also a key--having a good forecheck and some scoring from the bottom lines helps the top lines from always having to constantly regain momentum--takes a lot of pressure off of them. Rangers offense did not pressure or wear down other teams defenses last year nearly as much as they did in 11-12.

I really like everything you had to say here eco's, agree 100% with the rangers needing to prove they are a better offensive team. Not elite in the sense of PIT but as good as BOS. They have the defense to offset not being on the same level of PIT because PIT certainly does not have anywhere near an equivalent 6 and goalie to us imo. The Rangers key this year is depth like you mentioned. They have guys in the bottom six that hopefully will chip in...at least I feel a lot more comfortable than in years past. Pouliot, D. Moore, hopefully a better effort from Boyle with the "clean slate" under a new coach, and also hopefully a young forward or two surprises.

I think the biggest issue with why Krug was so open goes back to the style of play. It wasn't just Boston that was able to do that. It happened during the regular season too. The rangers left Bogo and Buff open when we played WPG, they left Campbell open when we played FLA. The Rangers collapsing system relied on shot blockers because we gave the point men room to shoot. I never agreed with it. BUT it worked for the 2011-2012 team because we had players that bought into that style. However, shot blocking is a double edge sword. You want your players to do whatever it takes to win and I like seeing them block shots, HOWEVER, you won't make through a full season that way even if they stay healthy enough to play, they will be banged up. Dave Maloney said it the other day to Jim Cerny, the Rangers cannot shot block their way to a stanley cup. The way Maloney was talking, you could tell he likes the coaching change. Hopefully AV's style includes the wingers being further up the boards, closer to the points, to give less room to the defenders as well help create a better transition game. The rangers have to rely on their center and two defenders to handle the work down low as well as let Henrik do what he gets paid to do, and that is stop the puck.

NHRangerfan

While I agree with going to the net, my question is how successful will that be? We're not exactly a big and strong team.

You don't need to be big and strong...if you drive to the net the dmen and the goalie need to be aware of those players, so it opens up things for other players...especially a guy coming in late.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kevin's not the kind of guy to tease bull**** news. Could be a Stepan re-sign?

Kevin Baumer said:
Some very interesting potential @BlueSeatBlogs news just floated into my inbox...

https://twitter.com/kevinbaumer/status/379251219141001216

Just checked the replies too...

Dave Shapiro ‏@BlueSeatBlogs 5m
@kevinbaumer ?
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More

Kevin Baumer ‏@kevinbaumer 5m
@BlueSeatBlogs Check your email
Details

Dave Shapiro ‏@BlueSeatBlogs 4m
@kevinbaumer Holy ****

Then Kevin said...

@BlueSeatBlogs I think this could be bigger Ranger news than Stepan re-signing

In all reality, it's probably bull**** news that only has to do with BSB, but still worth bringing up I'd say.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How would Stepan re-signing be bigger than Stepan re-signing? :sarcasm:

But yeah, I got the sense that we're being Punk'd.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
You guys remember when everyone was waiting for the Nash trade and that guy was like "Oh I have all the details but first I'm gonna go for a walk," and then he came back and was like "Oh my god I can't believe you suckers fell for it oh my god."

...That was awesome.

member-that-one-time.jpg

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If a beat writer wants to crush their own credibility with a bad joke, it's their call.

Picking out the legitimate rumors from the false ones used to be a vapid process. Now, with technology, it becomes so onerous that I usually just wait for the official announcement.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I always find it funny when fans get excited because a coach says that he will play a certain style, like it matters in the least. They can say whatever they want, especially before the games begin.

Let's wait and see the style in actuality. Usually the personnel available determines the style far more than the coach's ideas.

But this is the time of year when everyone believes that all the pieces are in place and we are just waiting for the right buttons to be pushed. If only it were that simple.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I always find it funny when fans get excited because a coach says that he will play a certain style, like it matters in the least. They can say whatever they want, especially before the games begin.

Let's wait and see the style in actuality. Usually the personnel available determines the style far more than the coach's ideas.

But this is the time of year when everyone believes that all the pieces are in place and we are just waiting for the right buttons to be pushed. If only it were that simple.

Theres a "time of year" for that??

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
For today's #NYRTC scrimmage the lines for Team A are:
Puliot-Brass-Zucc
Pyatt-Lindberg-Fast
Haley-D Moore-Dorsett
Mash-St. Croix-Nicholls

#NYRTC Defensive Pairings for Team A:
McDonagh-Girardi
J Moore-Stralman
Allen-Hughes
B Nash

#NYRTC Team B Lines:
Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hrivik-Boyle-Kristo
Bourque-Powe-Asham
Yogan-Kantor-O'Donnell

#NYRTC Team B defensive pairings:
Staal-DZ
Johnson-Bickel
Fall-McIlrath
Syvret

In Net: Henrik and Talbot

https://twitter.com/NYRangers

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
So apparently the news are smaller than a Henrik trade and bigger than a Staal for Staal trade

Any math guys out here :sarcasm:

Any players missing from camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad