Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Obviously not going forward but Elias has produced more the past 3 years and he is still a much better player than Stepan is right now.
Btw, if you want to look more at "going forward", I would add Huberdeau to my list as well. His upside is way above Stepan's and no, I don't hate Stepan!

Reaaaally?

Like it or not, Couture is a much better player than Stepan will ever be!
Just to piss you off further, here is a list of center I would take over Stepan right now and going forward:

you didn't seem to feel that way in the OP. And you know what 10 years ago I'd have taken DiPietro over Lundqvist. That's what potential ultimately is, a guessing game. So all this upside **** is ultimately useless for the time being, you can only take "upside" over proven play so many times.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They are centers by trade; Pavelski has played a lot of wing as has Skinner. Btw, don't be too surprised if Stepan ends up on the wing one day soon if he doesn't make a quantum leap in his faceoff %.
Skinner's played very little center at the NHL level.

How does one define "center by trade", especially if they're not playing center?

Drewbackatu said:
Obviously not going forward but Elias has produced more the past 3 years
You really have a love-hate relationship with statistics, don't you?

Drewbackatu said:
Btw, if you want to look more at "going forward", I would add Huberdeau to my list as well.
Also not a center.

Drewbackatu*

Reaaaally?

you didn't seem to feel that way in the OP. And you know what 10 years ago I'd have taken DiPietro over Lundqvist. That's what potential ultimately is, a guessing game. So all this upside **** is ultimately useless for the time being, you can only take "upside" over proven play so many times.

Top goalies have historically been drafted in later rounds. Rinne was the last pick in the draft(not sure of the year)

Drewbackatu*

Skinner's played very little center at the NHL level.

How does one define "center by trade", especially if they're not playing center?

You really have a love-hate relationship with statistics, don't you?

Also not a center.

My son who works for ESPN and who assisted me with this list says Huberdeau is a center. Better check out your program card.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Top goalies have historically been drafted in later rounds. Rinne was the last pick in the draft(not sure of the year)

Doesn't matter. The potential argument still applies. Datsyuk was drafted in the 6th round, but Patrik Stefan was drafted 1st overall. Who would you rather have?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Like it or not, Couture is a much better player than Stepan will ever be!
Just to piss you off further, here is a list of center I would take over Stepan right now and going forward:

Crosby
Malkin
Bergeron
Krejci
Giroux
LeCavalier
Plekanec
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
E Staal
J Staal
J Skinner
Spezza
Elias
Backstrom
Tavares
Stamkos
Sedin
Kessler
M Koivu
Thornton

Pavelski
Couture
Kopitar
J Carter
Backes
Toews
Getzlaf
Duchene
ROR
Benn
Sequin

Stepan rates just outside the top 25 at the center position.

oh boy this is rich. first off you said going forward. koivu lecav and thornton? really? you would rather have one of them to carry this franchise in the future? if we had signed lecav instead of step i bet you would be calling for sather's crucifixion. ROR, Benn, Seguin, Skinner, Plekanec and Backes LOL. you really think these guys will be better or are already better than stepan? when considering stepan has only played 2 and a 1/2 seasons and already has put up 140 points. lets look at their first 3 seasons.

Backes-108
Benn-160
Seguin-121 (also played 2 1/2 seasons)
ROR-107
Skinner-131 (2 1/2)
Plekanec-145
Couture-128

so the only ones who outscored step were benn and plekanec while playing an extra half of a season. stepan was on pace for 75 points this year. if you take that into consideration, he would have 171 points. the two who have played equal numbers of games are significantly worse defensively and have been outproduced offensively. also if we want to talk about numbers, Stepan outscored all of these players except Stamkos, Crosby, E. Staal, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Toews, Giroux, Zetterberg, Backstrom and Tavares. Stepan also tied Henrik Sedin. Stepan was also better defensively than about 5 of these guys.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My son who works for ESPN and who assisted me with this list says Huberdeau is a center. Better check out your program card.
Because ESPN is always my go-to source for hockey...

Huberdeau played wing exclusively last season. I'd be shocked if he's ever a center in the NHL.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He will be signed by tuesday; take it to the bank. However, if he isn't, you have my permission to vent.

I agree, and i think once Stepan sees Lindberg at Center he will want to get back on the ice before Oscar takes his job, lol.

Lowers his demands and takes 2 at 3.275

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007

Well, see there's your problem. ESPN and hockey........I'll let you think about that for a second...

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Jonathan Huberdeau of the Florida Panthers, born on June 4th, 1993 (just to make sure we're on the same page)

That Jonathan Hubderdeau took 33 face-offs last year. And lost 2/3 of them

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Jonathan Huberdeau of the Florida Panthers, born on June 4th, 1993 (just to make sure we're on the same page)

That Jonathan Hubderdeau took 33 face-offs last year. And lost 2/3 of them
Don't be surprised to see him get moved to wing later in his career if he doesn't improve that %

Drewbackatu*

Well, see there's your problem. ESPN and hockey........I'll let you think about that for a second...

He only covers hockey games and has done stats for years there; he has forgotten more about hockey than you'll ever know!

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Center by trade? You mean they grew up playing center because that's where most young stars play at lower levels and then move to wing in the NHL?

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Can there be a separate thread for delusion and confusion?

There are a handful of posters in HFNYR who just ruin *** everything all the time.

Plx stop answering them =/

Drewbackatu*

oh boy this is rich. first off you said going forward. koivu lecav and thornton? really? you would rather have one of them to carry this franchise in the future? if we had signed lecav instead of step i bet you would be calling for sather's crucifixion. ROR, Benn, Seguin, Skinner, Plekanec and Backes LOL. you really think these guys will be better or are already better than stepan? when considering stepan has only played 2 and a 1/2 seasons and already has put up 140 points. lets look at their first 3 seasons.

Backes-108
Benn-160
Seguin-121 (also played 2 1/2 seasons)
ROR-107
Skinner-131 (2 1/2)
Plekanec-145
Couture-128

so the only ones who outscored step were benn and plekanec while playing an extra half of a season. stepan was on pace for 75 points this year. if you take that into consideration, he would have 171 points. the two who have played equal numbers of games are significantly worse defensively and have been outproduced offensively. also if we want to talk about numbers, Stepan outscored all of these players except Stamkos, Crosby, E. Staal, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Toews, Giroux, Zetterberg, Backstrom and Tavares. Stepan also tied Henrik Sedin. Stepan was also better defensively than about 5 of these guys.

Still and all, all of those centers are better right now than Stepan. My son (who is a bigger Ranger's fan than all of us) expressed his opinion to me that he feels Stepan is just outside the top 25 centers in the game. He also feels that Stepan's career would be better served playing on the wing because of his limitations strengthwise and in the faceoff circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad