Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
AV hasn't even tried a forward on the point in practice yet according to Cerny. Did VAN have any forwards on the point? Can't recall.

Anyway, they plan on Nash being around the net on the PP this year. So Kreider would have to be 2nd unit and I agree with Brass on 1st, Zucc on 2nd.

Kesler played the point a bit if I recall to utilize his bomb of a shot. Not the QB per se but he played high in the center of the ice/top of the circle (depending on where the puck was) to let er rip.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If we had to trade Girardi to another team, why not Toronto? They really need a shutdown d-man, I think that's the only thing keeping them from not being a bubble team.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Trade Girardi would be regrettable.

He is an All Star. He is an top 2 D man. The return should be very strong for a guy like that. But why trade such a solid piece. He was over worked while Stall was out, but that experience will only make him better now Staal is back...McD has another year of experience. We have a top 4 that's solid. Got to keepmthatbpart of the puzzle intact

IMO

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In The Hockey News season preview issue, with Sidney Crosby on the cover, they predict that Alain Vigneault will win the Jack Adams Award for the second time in his career.

Vigneault won the award in 2007 and was a finalist in 2000 with Montreal and in 2011 with Vancouver.

A win would put Vigneault in the same category as Jacques Demers, Pat Quinn, Pat Burns, Scotty Bowman and Jacques Lemaire as coaches who have won the award more than once.

The Hockey News has the Rangers finishing in second place in the Metropolitan Division.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/a...rd/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Truth is this team has a lot of upside potential.

Best goalie

Great core D

And the potential skill to score enough to win.

AV gets the roster scoring just a bit more and the Rangers are contenders. For whatever reason Torts failed to get the roster to generate enough offense to GIVE HENKE THE LEAD.

How many games did we lose by 1 goal?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Girardi ain't going anywhere. They'll let Stralman walk. McIlrath will take his place.

This would be a disaster.

Strålman is the epitome of the undervalued defenceman - i.e. a defenceman that you get the most value per paid dollar for. He is a PMD that doesn't put up big points.

Chicago's D is stacked with this type of guys. Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozsival.

Players with a lot of hits and blocks are on the other hand overvalued. Teams have to pay more for these guys despite the fact that hits and blocks doesn't contribute to winning games. Chicago already let go of Bolland as he is paid too much for his contributions. They should also consider trading Seabrook.

These guys aren't useless, but since they are overvalued around the league the best way to use them is to exploit the market inefficiency and trade them for undervalued assets. That way you make a net gain in value.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Truth is this team has a lot of upside potential.

Best goalie

Great core D

And the potential skill to score enough to win.

AV gets the roster scoring just a bit more and the Rangers are contenders. For whatever reason Torts failed to get the roster to generate enough offense to GIVE HENKE THE LEAD.

How many games did we lose by 1 goal?

BOLD = Debatable

As for your last point... we are probably going to lose just as many by 1 goal this season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Strålman is the epitome of the undervalued defenceman - i.e. a defenceman that you get the most value per paid dollar for. He is a PMD that doesn't put up big points.

Players with a lot of hits and blocks are on the other hand overvalued. Teams have to pay more for these guys despite the fact that hits and blocks doesn't contribute to winning games. Chicago already let go of Bolland as he is paid too much for his contributions. They should also consider trading Seabrook.

These guys aren't useless, but since they are overvalued around the league the best way to use them is to exploit the market inefficiency and trade them for undervalued assets. That way you make a net gain in value.

epitome of an undervalued d-man RIGHT NOW. When he hits UFA, I doubt that continues.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

It really depends on what Stralman wants on his next contract and what the Rangers can afford

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Trade Girardi would be regrettable.

He is an All Star. He is an top 2 D man. The return should be very strong for a guy like that. But why trade such a solid piece. He was over worked while Stall was out, but that experience will only make him better now Staal is back...McD has another year of experience. We have a top 4 that's solid. Got to keepmthatbpart of the puzzle intact

IMO

Careful now.

Dan Girardi is as much of an all-star as Petr Prucha was a "30 goal scorer" - in other words, they've both done it only once.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That's not the world's best comparison.

And Girardi isn't getting moved.

Bardof425*

Careful now.

Dan Girardi is as much of an all-star as Petr Prucha was a "30 goal scorer" - in other words, they've both done it only once.

Becoming an all-star is a process. Generally you need to be good enough but not get picked a couple of times before getting picked. So DG may have only made it once but he's been good enought to make it a few times. The comparison to Prucha doesn't hold water and it's insulting to Dan.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
epitome of an undervalued d-man RIGHT NOW. When he hits UFA, I doubt that continues.

He will continue to be undervalued compared to what other UFA Ds earn.

Look at Hjalmarsson's contract. Do you think Girardi will sign for as little? No way. Yet Hjalmarsson is IMO clearly the better defenceman.

Just getting the puck out of the zone in a controlled and efficient manner is probably the most valuable asset from an NHL defenceman. But because it is so hard to quantify, it gets severely undervalued. Strålman is fantastic at this, Girardi not so much.

I will add that being able to enter the zone with control is the forwards' equivalent skill. And don't come dragging Gomez into this, a weak wrister into the logo is not an efficient way to set up an attack any way you slice it.

Last edited:

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Careful now.

Yea that's not fair :)

Dan has steadily improved and over time become a solid player.

Peter Pucks flashed early and then got knocked out a few times coming across the middle with his head down

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think they can move any RD until they find someone else who can play it. It's really just not that easy. Even if Girardi is not an ideal option, he's better than just about any other option they have. Same for Stralman. If Sauer were still playing they might be able to, or if any of Del Zotto, Moore switched with some success.

If the options are to resign Girardi to ~5M or watch the Rangers try to find a RD that can play those minutes without floundering all over the ice, I'll take Girardi.

I have no confidence they'll be able to find that player regardless if he has less of a cap hit or more of one. This is the same team that signed Redden as a top pair defender.

When the Rangers luck into something they should stick with it, the planned stuff only seems to work out at about a 50/50 rate.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't think they can move any RD until they find someone else who can play it. It's really just not that easy. Even if Girardi is not an ideal option, he's better than just about any other option they have. Same for Stralman. If Sauer were still playing they might be able to, or if any of Del Zotto, Moore switched with some success.

If the options are to resign Girardi to ~5M or watch the Rangers try to find a RD that can play those minutes without floundering all over the ice, I'll take Girardi.

I have no confidence they'll be able to find that player regardless if he has less of a cap hit or more of one. This is the same team that signed Redden as a top pair defender.

When the Rangers luck into something they should stick with it, the planned stuff only seems to work out at about a 50/50 rate.

Great post. And for as good of a contributor as Stralman has been I do not have faith that he would look as good taking 25+ tough minutes against the Ovies of the league every night.

Certainly, would not give Girardi a blank check. But it is in the Rangers' best interests to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00