Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Our left wing side is obviously the weakest, but it's all about finding the right chemistry with those three guys (Kreider, Hagelin, Pouliot)

Pouliot is off to a nice run with Brassard and Zucc, even though that line is a horror show defensively. Hagelin worked well with Stepan and Nash last year.

But if we get the right chemistry, it's a very nice 3 line attack. If our LW's disappoint... we may have to move Zuccarello to the left side and go to a more 2 line attack.

One thing I still don't like is our assortment on the power play. Having Girardi and Staal out there... no one is worried about them doing anything creative with the puck. They're basically just a dummy conduit to move the puck to one side or the other. I'd like to see Moore, Stralman, Del Zotto as d-men PP, and no one else. The team can make due with that.

I'll take Staalsy on the point ;).

Though I agree, Moore and DZ should get most of the playing time on both units.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
AV wants to keep 13 forwards,8D and 2 goalies.

He likes 8 D because

On Wednesday, before leaving for Banff, Vigneault said, salary cap considerations aside, he’d like to carry eight defensemen and 13 forwards. He explained why on the conference call.

“I’ve always felt for practice time it’s better,” Vigneault said. “You get better quality practices when you have four duos back there. I’ve always felt, for whatever reason, if you get short on numbers, it’s easier for a defenseman to play up front than, in my opinion, a forward to play on defense.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/vigneault_checks_in_from_banff/

On Wednesday,AV said he knows its a cap world and that usually determines how many extra players are kept.

With 8 D,the Rangers keep Johnson at $600,000 and one extra forward. Do they keep Bickel at $750,000 over Johnson? He can some wing too.

Say Stepan signs for $3.2M and the 2 forwards are healthy by November

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($3.200m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Justin Falk ($0.975m) /
Aaron Johnson ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
OTHER
Buried: Darroll Powe ($0.142m)
Buried: Arron Asham ($0.075m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,231,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $830,833

http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/32513

Callahan will miss the first 2-3 weeks. Hagelin misses most of October. The young guys get a chance to play and they play well. It creates a good dilemma for the Rangers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Too many moving parts. The Stepan situation. Callahan and Hagelin. The young guys like Lindberg,Kristo and Fasth. Maybe Miller makes a late push into the mix. The veteran guys like Boyle,Pyatt,Asham and Powe.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Why specifically? Just curious.

Phaneuf is faster, an intimidating presence on the ice, will stand up for teammates (but not often), has a booming point shot, and is overall more talented. It's not a jab at Girardi I'd just rather have the better player.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Phaneuf is faster, an intimidating presence on the ice, will stand up for teammates (but not often), has a booming point shot, and is overall more talented. It's not a jab at Girardi I'd just rather have the better player.

He also has a cap hit that is almost 3.2 mil more than DG.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Alright, our boys are out west, and I need some help. I have no idea who the three of the left are.

1234859_10151721450484858_2007405425_n.jpg

Knowing the Rangers luck I'm surprised no one came down with a twisted ankle or a torn acl like that kicker for the Cardinals against the Giants that happened like 10 years ago

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Really looking like the locker room is not going to be any kind of problem at all this year. Seems like they are loving the new atmosphere and coach.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
AV wants to keep 13 forwards,8D and 2 goalies.

He likes 8 D because

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/vigneault_checks_in_from_banff/

On Wednesday,AV said he knows its a cap world and that usually determines how many extra players are kept.

With 8 D,the Rangers keep Johnson at $600,000 and one extra forward. Do they keep Bickel at $750,000 over Johnson? He can some wing too.

Say Stepan signs for $3.2M and the 2 forwards are healthy by November

http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/32513

Callahan will miss the first 2-3 weeks. Hagelin misses most of October. The young guys get a chance to play and they play well. It creates a good dilemma for the Rangers.

first off I would like to state that picture is freaking hilarious

second I agree with this lineup. Johnson as the 8th D does make sense since he's cheap and a vet.CLB connection too. IF Bickely makes it I will snap:laugh:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Good for Dom, out bonding with his teammates and enjoying himself. It's very good to see him getting back to some kind of normalcy.

Agreed. If it's even him, I could be wrong looks like Dom, Brass, and MDZ so it's tough to say.

Really nice seeing him play at the level he is playing at in the preseason though, doesn't look like he missed any time really.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

No doubt that Dion is a more physically intimidating presence on the back line....which is something I agree the team really needs. I just think back to the series with the Caps, when we went on to the ECF two seasons ago.

Giradi did a very nice job against Ovi in that series. I'm not so sure Dion would have performed as well. Maybe an imperfect metric, but it's a very debatable point to be sure.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Just watched this video of high points from 11-12 season.... Noticing that we still have alot of our main guys... If we get form back from Richards, and continued awesome play from our main core (Hagelin, Step, Cally, etc), we are in ridiculously good shape...

Like someone said, Richards even as a 3C is still better than 90% of Centers available, even with that "ridiculous" cap hit

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How has Kristo and Pouliot been for you guys since Pre Season started?

Any chance Kristo makes opening night roster?

They've each only played one game so far. Kristo I thought started slow in his game, but improved as the game went on. I think he'll probably need some time in the AHL, but could start the season with the Rangers due to injuries to Callahan and Hagelin. Right now I would guess that Lindberg, and maybe also Fast, have a better shot.

Pouliot I thought looked very good in his game. Very noticeable player, good skater. I think he'll put up some points for us this year.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Really looking like the locker room is not going to be any kind of problem at all this year. Seems like they are loving the new atmosphere and coach.

1. I don't think it will be an issue this year.
2. But it's pretty easy to be all sunshine and rainbows when the group with AV has faced 0 adversity yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad