Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Trade Talk | Part 3 | I Don't Always Talk Trades, But When I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Personally I feel like you guys are looking at this the wrong way. There's a lot of emphasis on getting another top 6 winger but I'd rather have multiple top tier bottom 6 players if we could get them.

We have no depth. Our 3rd and 4th lines are laughable. Those lines are going to get walked over in playoff hockey.

Out of the list posted above, the only guy I feel would be a good fit with **** for brains Bylsma and his system and the cap would be Kulemin.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What about last season's playoff run makes you think that acquiring a vet is going to stop this if DB is still married to it?

Dupuis isn't producing. It's not going to take much to find an upgrade over him. I just would like to find a guy who fits the "Crosby's Neal" mold. If that isn't doable this season, then guys like Stempniak and Setoguchi are absolutely better options than Dupes. If DB refuses to play them in their proper spot, then he deserves whatever comes to him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Personally I feel like you guys are looking at this the wrong way. There's a lot of emphasis on getting another top 6 winger but I'd rather have multiple top tier bottom 6 players if we could get them.

We have no depth. Our 3rd and 4th lines are laughable. Those lines are going to get walked over in playoff hockey.

Out of the list posted above, the only guy I feel would be a good fit with **** for brains Bylsma and his system and the cap would be Kulemin.

Kule is definitely a DB player. That's why I really would like that acquisition. Especially as a possible longterm fit.

But we have much more of a need in the top 6 than bottom six. Acquire a winger for Sid, and all of a sudden you have Dupes on your third line and plenty of options to fill things out from there. Kobasew, Jokinen, Megna and Beau.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I'd rather logjam one of them than risk DB going into panic mode when Beau makes a mistake and reuniting KCD for the rest of the season.

Shero has to come up with something by the deadline. This isnt' a contender unless he does.

I know there's plenty of reasons to believe DB wants to revert back to KCD, but for whatever reason I really think he's going to be committed to KCB once Bennett comes back from injury. The damage has already been done. The hard part is over: Pascal's feelings were hurt. There's no going back now!

And it's not like they're lighting the world on fire (shocking) with their time together during Bennett's injury.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
But we have much more of a need in the top 6 than bottom six. Acquire a winger for Sid, and all of a sudden you have Dupes on your third line and plenty of options to fill things out from there. Kobasew, Jokinen, Megna and Beau.

I disagree. Our bottom six is a joke. Especially come playoff time.

Sutter - good player but no intensity and soff

Jokinen - skilled player that disappears at times and is soff

Beau - Injured and shouldn't be playing in the bottom 6.

Kobasew - 4th line fodder that we should not be counting on.

Megna - I wouldn't put my faith in him. He'll likely be back in the AHL because that's how we dooze it here in Pittsburgh with young players.

Let's not forget Craig Adams, the old dog who lost his legs and should be taken out to the back of the woods and put to rest. Bylsma will have him playing way more than he should and in every defensive zone faceoff against the other team's top lines because he doesn't believe in matchups.

It pains me to say this, especially because of how much I hated him last year, but Tanner Glass is probably going to be our most effective bottom six player for the playoffs.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Well isn't Dupuis hurt? So maybe if he's out longterm we're gonna be forced to find some help

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sutter+Dupuis is 2/3 of one of the best 3rd lines in the game. We can rotate any number of players to add a bit of skill or speed in there.

Beau has a ways to go to prove he can handle Sid's RW in the playoffs. And seeing as he hasn't played a whole lot of hockey the past year, I'd like to see us go the trade route.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I know there's plenty of reasons to believe DB wants to revert back to KCD, but for whatever reason I really think he's going to be committed to KCB once Bennett comes back from injury. The damage has already been done. The hard part is over: Pascal's feelings were hurt. There's no going back now!

And it's not like they're lighting the world on fire (shocking) with their time together during Bennett's injury.

Yeah I really don't think DB is going to actively find a way to reunite KCD. But if you give him limited options like a rookie Bennett and a whole lot of bottom sixers, then I wouldn't want to take my chances without bringing in a legit option for this year.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Sutter+Dupuis is 2/3 of one of the best 3rd lines in the game. We can rotate any number of players to add a bit of skill or speed in there.

I agree that Sutter and Dupuis would be 2/3 a really good 3rd line. I just don't believe Bylsma will play Dupuis on the 3rd line.

If Jerome Iginla can't force Dupuis off the 1st line, Beau Bennett sure as hell won't.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dupuis isn't producing. It's not going to take much to find an upgrade over him. I just would like to find a guy who fits the "Crosby's Neal" mold. If that isn't doable this season, then guys like Stempniak and Setoguchi are absolutely better options than Dupes. If DB refuses to play them in their proper spot, then he deserves whatever comes to him.

But...why doesn't that also apply to Bennett?

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's why I keep saying I'd rather see Shero go after someone like Clifford or Greening, to help the 3rd line out and go from there, in the off season, there are some interesting players available that Shero could go after if he is smart and either deals one of Nisky and Orpik or walks away from both to have a lot of cap space to use on improving all 4 lines on this team.

In no order (* beside the guys I would love for Shero to go after).

• Marian Gaborik
  • Thomas Vanek*
  • Mike Cammalleri
  • Ales Hemsky
  • Milan Michalek (or not, maybe his bro will be like, dude Dan is a tard...don't, come to Phx!)
  • Ryan Callahan
  • Matt Moulson*
  • Nik Kulemin*

Next year...

Kunitz, Crosby, Vanek
Kulemin, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Sutter, Dupuis
Megna, Vitale, Adams

Despres, Martin
Scuderi, Letang
Maatta, Bortuzzo

Yo dude Vanek has clearly lost his wheels. He can't keep up with Tavarez, let alone Crosby....

Why in the world would L.A. Let Clifford go? Their line-up seems pretty deep to me....

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Gotz no salary cap room unless we trade someone with some salary, i.e. Orpik, Niskanen, et al.

Your help is Chris Conner. Get used to him :sarcasm:

That was what I was getting too, if Scuderi comes back before Dupuis and Dupes is out for a while, one of those d-men can be moved.

**** Conner...all i think of when i hear that name is that flubbed penalty shot

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But...why doesn't that also apply to Bennett?

I don't think Beau is nearly proven enough to trust him to be the guy this year. I refuse to believe we can't find a guy that is a legit scoring line winger who can improve Sid's line enough to warrant moving Dupes down with Sutter.

He's out for another 2 months and hasn't played alot of hockey the last calendar year.

I understand you don't want to see Beau get lost in the shuffle again, but we also have to make sure we have a decent enough top 6 if he can't handle those duties.

Ideally, you find Sid's RW, and have Beau compete with Juice for Malkin and Neal's LW. He gets to play with Sutter and Dupes if not.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree that Sutter and Dupuis would be 2/3 a really good 3rd line. I just don't believe Bylsma will play Dupuis on the 3rd line.

If Jerome Iginla can't force Dupuis off the 1st line, Beau Bennett sure as hell won't.

I hear ya. But that was a Duper that was producing last year, and the year before. Even DB won't play KCD if D ain't scoring, and Crosby is disheartened and sluggish because of it. Better to put Vitale there if no Bennett. Even DB can see that.

Now if Pasquale starts scoring though, all bets are off.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't think Beau is nearly proven enough to trust him to be the guy this year. I refuse to believe we can't find a guy that is a legit scoring line winger who can improve Sid's line enough to warrant moving Dupes down with Sutter.

He's out for another 2 months and hasn't played alot of hockey the last calendar year.

I understand you don't want to see Beau get lost in the shuffle again, but we also have to make sure we have a decent enough top 6 if he can't handle those duties.

Ideally, you find Sid's RW, and have Beau compete with Juice for Malkin and Neal's LW. He gets to play with Sutter and Dupes if not.

I don't see how you don't do this either? Like there's enough teams that need D that you can trade Orpik to, and I don't like saying this but if you're getting a high impact player back for Depres+Orpik, you do it easily, Depres is someone I don't want to trade but you gotta give to get

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

That's where we differ. I don't think the likes of Stempniak or Setoguchi is a step up from BB, particularly in terms of creating offense on their own.

If we can get a legit scorer better than those guys or some versatile size and grit who can play up and down the top 9...beautiful. If not, I'd rather see what our young guys can do.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Beau has a ways to go to prove he can handle Sid's RW in the playoffs. And seeing as he hasn't played a whole lot of hockey the past year, I'd like to see us go the trade route.

Kuni-Sid
Malkin-Neal
Dupe-Sutter

That's 6/9 of the best top 9 in the league.

Add three of BB, Meg, JJ and a Nisky/Orpik trade and a new coach and we're golden!

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey guys. We all love to rip on Dupuis and Bylsma's apparent insistence on playing him with Crosby even over Iginla and Bennett. But don't you think for as long as he's stuck with it this year when it isn't working Sid must factor into things?

He's the best player in the world, could have signed with any team for any amount of money he wanted, LIVED in Mario's house for years.(he's moved out by now, right?). You think he couldn't've gone to Mario DB or Ray and said:"Duper just isn't workin out on the first line."? And they wouldnt all jump to rectify the situation? I think it's apparent that Sid is just comfortable with Kunitz and Dupuis on his line and wants to keep them there.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Stewart isn't a third liner. He's a guy whose strengths would be maximized here. And his potential is that of Neal. He's got the size and skillset. Give him an elite center and the production will be there.

We don't have the expendable assets to get a proven 40 goal scorer like Neal is right now. Whoever we bring in is going to have some warts in his game.

But I can understand if you'd rather keep Despres and use Orpik and/or Nisky for a lesser forward.

I'm just saying there are other options. Moving Despres, keeping Orpik for the rest of the year and slotting Maatta in his spot next season.

Stewart is not a 3rd liner, but McGinn is. . .

Do you think this team would be better off taking a chance on a winger and losing Despres and Niskanen/Orpik, or keeping Despres and picking up a solid 3rd option and keeping Despres? You aren't going to get a sure bet 40 goal scorer or anything close to it with Despres at this point. For that reason, the combination of size and skill that Despres brings shouldn't be something that we are so eager to give away, IMO.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2013/12/06/rossi-another-streak-and-another-thought-on-iginla/

I know its Rossi...but **** Dupuis. Shero or Lemieux or ****ing someone needs to get a handle on this country club we are family attitude. Sid needs to get his head out of his ass if that article in any way resembles truth.

Win Cups, not friends Sid.

Wouldn't management and coach discussed that problem beforehand? Kinda wish he HAD gone to the Bruins, maybe he would've won a Cup maybe we would have.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think that trade was as much to do with keeping Iginla off the Bruins as it was about adding him to our own team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad