Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Trade Talk | Part 3 | I Don't Always Talk Trades, But When I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onan

Aug 13, 2007
Bennett, Niskanen, Dumoulin and a 1st for Kane

How far off is that? This probably doesn't work with the cap. Maybe if we do it at the deadline, but I'm not sure.

That wont happen because GM Ray Shero is not an idiot.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Megna is one of those guys where I am not convinced he's a top 6 winger or a bottom 6 winger, he's such a tough guy to get a read on, he does so many little things right when you closely watch him and then out of nowhere he snipes a goal scorer's goal with the confidence of a top 6 winger and you're left wondering..."Can he?"

Way too small of a sampling size in his NHL career so far, but I wouldn't want him back in WBS, I'd rather lose Kobasew and have Megna be on the big club as the guy DB can place anywhere.

No one knows, which is why they should be giving him all the chances in the world to prove it. The cap and injury situations only reinforce that point, imo

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
351a9fba9001f53472f7a58ec9ddb9818bbdb18ea7ef07d0c37ceccf9a8263d2.jpg

This tells you who should be traded. It´s that simple.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Despres and Maatta are the future man, the future. And from the looks of it, the present too. I'm not sure what they could fetch back, but the return won't be worth it to this team that needs them and their ELC's.

I do know that Despres's next contract is going up by the game here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No one knows, which is why they should be giving him all the chances in the world to prove it. The cap and injury situations only reinforce that point, imo

I really want to see him on Crosby's RW for a few games and Malkin's LW for a few games. Just to see how he looks with two different styles of elite centers. I am starting to side with those that think he is someone to look out for, I did say back when it was camp that Megna might be one of those guys that doesn't make you think twice at the AHL level but the moment he is in the NHL, he'll make you go "Where was this guy the whole time??"...not there yet, but he shows flashes of it.

The only sad part since camp is that Payerl has seemed to fall off. He was a guy that was rising quickly as a potential 4th liner. Instead of calling up dwarfs like Conner and Ebbett, I was hoping Payerl would be the one up to replace Glass on that 4th line and have Megna on the 3rd.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Despres and Maatta are the future man, the future. And from the looks of it, the present too. I'm not sure what they could fetch back, but the return won't be worth it to this team that needs them and their ELC's.

I do know that Despres's next contract is going up by the game here.

Jokes aside, Despres is showing a side of him that most of us wanted to see, the side where he uses his size more to his advantage and a bit of a mean streak, he's so damn young too, but yeah, their value on the market might be decent, but they should mean more to this team going forward, instead of blowing wads of cash on UFA defensemen, there are 2 that were drafted and developed that are showing they belong, Shero drafts them, now keep them and brag about how your defense is the one you drafted and not some other team's players that were developed and you just threw a contract at.

It'd be nice to see Bortuzzo back to being a regular as well.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
20-9-1 First Place in the Metro and East.

Crosby is number 1 scorer in the league, Malkin is number 2.

3.07 GPG which is 5th in the league.

Doesnt look like anything need fixing to me. Especially not at the espense of breaking up two top end guys with astonishing chemistry. Sid needs a winger that much is obvious. There is ZERO reason for it to be James Neal.

What were their stats in the past two years?

How did they fair in the POs?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
To :avs

Despres
Dupuis
Blues 1st

To :pens

Chris Stewart

To :blues

Paul Stastny

That works in this kid's fantasyland.
Jesus... for Chris Stewart?

Two players I would love to see the Pens target are hurt right now in Burrows and Silfverberg. IMO its best to wait right now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If we traded Despres and/or Maatta without getting a decent forward in return I'll be mad.

In fact, if we even traded them I'd be mad.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You guys keep holding out for Kane or Hall. Definitely realistic.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I'm not holding out for either, I am actually holding out for Shero to give what he has more of a chance, within the system I mean and less opportunities to grinder UFA's that he seems to have a weird love for.

I mean would it be nice to get even Silfverberg? Sure, but I doubt even he's available to the Pens and Burrows is a Canucks lifer. As for Stewart, people here love the guy but he takes so many nights off, if Sid has to carry him and when the line goes cold and so does he...I could only imagine the complaining then. I mean are we then assuming the crack team coaching staff of DB, Granato, Reirden and Martin are going to turn it around for Stewart?

I would think his value isn't all that high right now as well, but the Blues have absolutely no need to move him, he provides them with a big body that can go on a hot streak and erase his crap season so far and then go cold and do just enough to merit another "he's close, just needs more work" type of comments by his fan base.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd love Stewart. But not for that deal.

I like Despres, but Stewart has just as much potential here as Despres does. While filling a position of weakness.

Dupuis is a guy that would interest the Avs, change him out for a pick if we're dealing straight across for Stewart. Blues may make a move for a center and need a D-man to replace a guy like Shattenkirk if used to get that center.

As for the post above, Anaheim isn't gonna move JS. He was killing it for them before he was injured. And the Nucks already lack top 6 wingers.

I'm listing somewhat realistic scenarios.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd love Stewart. But not for that deal.

That's the point, if that is what it takes to get him, not worth it. Stewart is streaky. I don't think it'd be that hard to get him, people here seem to undervalue Pens players a lot so we'll see if he's even on Shero's radar. I mean Chris would need to be a grinder or 34+ to be on his radar, right?

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

There's a happy median between having unrealistic expectations and trying to trade Simon Despres. Right now there are a lot of people in the former category, and you're in the latter. There's a deal to be had that doesn't involve trading Despres.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
Just curious… Are you (collective) higher on Despres or Maatta? More or less meaning which would you (collective) rather trade? Does one have more value than the other?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like Despres, but Stewart has just as much potential here as Despres does. While filling a position of weakness.

Dupuis is a guy that would interest the Avs, change him out for a pick if we're dealing straight across for Stewart. Blues may make a move for a center and need a D-man to replace a guy like Shattenkirk if used to get that center.

As for the post above, Anaheim isn't gonna move JS. He was killing it for them before he was injured. And the Nucks already lack top 6 wingers.

I'm listing somewhat realistic scenarios.

St.Louis is weird to me, their fans are arrogant as hell these days and brag that their defense is fine, yet their GM goes out and signs the guy with the funniest history of injuries and that gif in Carlo Colaiacovo while boasting a top 4 of Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and pick one of Polak, Leopold and Jackman with a decent kid for depth with Cole. I think the last thing they need is defense. They have a mix of everything, young and old, RH/LH, PMD, Shutdown, etc.

Despres doesn't even crack that blueline until maybe next year or so. If a center is what the Blues need, Sutter would be of interest, but then the Pens have a huge hole there while filling one with Stewart in the top 6.

I really think the blues would want Sutter for Stewart and that would be the asking price, something Ray would need to walk away from unless he had another trade up his sleeve to land a solid 3rd line C. To that guy that has a poster of Ott above his bed (I kid), getting him to be that 3rd line C wouldn't be bad, then see the options via free agency.

Kunitz, Crosby, Stewart
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Ott/Jokinen, Jokinen/Ott, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Adams

Does that make the Pens weaker?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's a happy median between having unrealistic expectations and trying to trade Simon Despres. Right now there are a lot of people in the former category, and you're in the latter. There's a deal to be had that doesn't involve trading Despres.

If you expect an upgrade for Sid using Nisky or Orpik, I'd say that's unrealistic.

Hell, I wouldn't expect McGinn for Nisky.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just curious… Are you (collective) higher on Despres or Maatta? More or less meaning which would you (collective) rather trade? Does one have more value than the other?

Both bring different "intangibles" to the table, I think both have a high value, Maatta maybe more because of him making the team so young and unexpectedly. To me, I look at next year as the moment where those two will finally get the increased minutes because of roughly 40 playing minutes a game will be freed up if Shero is smart and he walks away from Orpik and Niskanen.

I really want to see this next year...

Despres, Martin
Scuderi, Letang
Maatta, Bortuzzo

That's 5 players that this team has developed, manning the blueline, with Paul Martin being the lone non-Pens drafted guy there. That's one of those things a GM should be proud of, especially if they're a damn solid group, which they are, if Letang's IQ catches up with his skill.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Maatta. He's logging more minutes against tougher competition at a younger age.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think a year from now, both Despres and Maatta will have MUCH higher trade value than they have today. Let them work their way into the NHL and prove what they can do.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis is weird to me, their fans are arrogant as hell these days and brag that their defense is fine, yet their GM goes out and signs the guy with the funniest history of injuries and that gif in Carlo Colaiacovo while boasting a top 4 of Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and pick one of Polak, Leopold and Jackman with a decent kid for depth with Cole. I think the last thing they need is defense. They have a mix of everything, young and old, RH/LH, PMD, Shutdown, etc.

Despres doesn't even crack that blueline until maybe next year or so. If a center is what the Blues need, Sutter would be of interest, but then the Pens have a huge hole there while filling one with Stewart in the top 6.

I really think the blues would want Sutter for Stewart and that would be the asking price, something Ray would need to walk away from unless he had another trade up his sleeve to land a solid 3rd line C. To that guy that has a poster of Ott above his bed (I kid), getting him to be that 3rd line C wouldn't be bad, then see the options via free agency.

Kunitz, Crosby, Stewart
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Ott/Jokinen, Jokinen/Ott, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Adams

Does that make the Pens weaker?

One of their posters thinks Shattenkirk could be used in a deal for an upgrade at center. And then they'd use Stewart in a trade to replace him.

I could see that. Shattenkirk folded in the playoffs for them, and wasn't much more than a #5 in terms of TOI. Despres could be of use to them this season if such a move is made.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Despres and anyone who says otherwise is a communist.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
If you expect an upgrade for Sid using Nisky or Orpik, I'd say that's unrealistic.

Hell, I wouldn't expect McGinn for Nisky.

I don't see a deal being made for a first line winger this year. But if one was, trading Despres would be worth it. Even then, given Despres' value RIGHT NOW, he would not cut it. That said, you don't trade Despres for a 3rd liner, either. Niskanen + or Orpik can be used for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig