Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Trade Talk | Part 3 | I Don't Always Talk Trades, But When I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Was just perusing reddit/r/hockey and came across this article:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...d-trophy-an-interview-with-jonathan-cheechoo/

Firstly, he's leading his KHL team(which isn't a very good one) in goals. Said he feels the healthiest he's been in forever and is dying to get back to the NHL.

Secondly, how would the Pens, if they offered him a contract, go about getting him as fast as possible? What are the transfer rules for players like him that would come back to N.A. if and when an NHL contract is offered.

You have to shed salary to bring him aboard but you could probably sign him to a 1-2 year deal on the cheap.

What say you all? Would you take a chance on a guy like Cheechoo?

ETA:He's a year younger than Dupuis.

Fire Shero*

Wow, we sadly are this desperate. Shero does love reclamation projects. I would certainly say no. His flukey season was 7 years ago?

No thanks

It seems about time for Shero to start picking up some scraps off the waiver wire like last year. I might rather watch whatever idiots he brings in play with Cros over Dupuis. The guys ray brings in would kind of be funny to watch, whereas it's flat out depressing watching Dupuis skate around like an idiot since we are stuck with him for so long and for so much money.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Was just perusing reddit/r/hockey and came across this article:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...d-trophy-an-interview-with-jonathan-cheechoo/

Firstly, he's leading his KHL team(which isn't a very good one) in goals. Said he feels the healthiest he's been in forever and is dying to get back to the NHL.

Secondly, how would the Pens, if they offered him a contract, go about getting him as fast as possible? What are the transfer rules for players like him that would come back to N.A. if and when an NHL contract is offered.

You have to shed salary to bring him aboard but you could probably sign him to a 1-2 year deal on the cheap.

What say you all? Would you take a chance on a guy like Cheechoo?

ETA:He's a year younger than Dupuis.

we need to stop going for reclamation projects. Its time to suck it up and pay what it costs to get Sid his line-mate.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It is asinine to me that Sid is now 26 years old and has never really been given a co-elite W to grow with. We've tried to sure up almost every other area over the years except on his wings. Sure, he had Hossa on rental for 2 months and then Disco Dan ignored what would have been the absolutely correct pairing of Iginla on Crosby's right.....

Sure, we tried pretty hard for Parise but that was never really in play as him to Minny was a done deal before FA ever really started.

Malkin and Neal are the most electrifying pair in the NHL, bar none. It's a farkin travesty that Crosby plays with a 3rd line RW and a borderline 1LW (gotta give Kuny props for his continued goal scoring ability though).

Enough is enough. Give up extra if it means Crosby can get a W that is a true #1. The best scenario is a top tier LW, which pushes Kunitz down to the Malkin-Neal pairing and Bennett would eventually be the RW1.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Iginla really isn't elite anymore though. He may have been an upgrade over Dupuis but I'm not even sure of that. I wasn't impressed at all by Iginla last year here or this year in Boston.

We tried to get Parise. We tried to re-sign Hossa. I think Neal was originally acquired for Sid too but Sid was injured and Neal developed amazing chemistry with Geno during Crosby's absence . We just have to hope Shero is still looking for a big time winger for Sid. I can understand why some would think they're unfortunately content with Dupuis in that role since they did re-sign him. I really hope that isn't the case.

Fire Shero*

I don't know what is more pathetic, the fact that we would even consider a guy like Cheechoo or the fact that he would sadly be better than half of our forwards.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I'd like for us get a half dozen more speedy 5'7' guys at the deadline. Please make sure they have no hands.

penguins2946*

Bennett, Niskanen, Dumoulin and a 1st for Kane

How far off is that? This probably doesn't work with the cap. Maybe if we do it at the deadline, but I'm not sure.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What teams would be interested in either Niskanen or Orpik? Both are UFAs, so it would need to be playoff teams looking for hockey trades. Or deadline style deals where we flip whatever return we get in another deal. Colorado seems like they'd be the primary taker for guys like that.

How far off is that? This probably doesn't work with the cap. Maybe if we do it at the deadline, but I'm not sure.

Make it Orpik instead of Nisky and the cap is closer. I don't see why they would really be that interested in either though. I doubt non-playoff teams have much interest in either as UFAs.

penguins2946*

Make it Orpik instead of Nisky and the cap is closer. I don't see why they would really be that interested in either though. I doubt non-playoff teams have much interest in either as UFAs.

They could do what Buffalo is doing with Moulson and just trade him for futures. Orpik could definitely get at least a 1st at the deadline. Niskanen at least a 2nd.

Fire Shero*

Haha id do this in a second, but I'm not sure Winnipeg would. Dumoulin is unproven, Niskanen is a UFA, Bennett has been way too injury prone (both in college and in the NHL) and the first round pick would be a 20th overall or later. This is the definition of quantity over quality.

I'm sure Winnipeg would want a roster ready player and a very promising prospect.

We have to have our sights a bit lower. Shero's too much of a ***** to make such a deal, he prefers old rentals at the deadline.

They should go after Moulson for Crosby. It likely would only cost a first round pick and possibly a prospect. Shero is going to waste
the draft pick on a dman or if he tries to draft a forward, he will develop into a player who will be placed on waivers best case scenario. Let's use that draft pick on a player who might sign here long - term because I don't trust Shero every drafting a capable player to play in the top 6.

penguins2946*

If Winnipeg was actually moving Kane, they would only get quantity offers. I'm not sure that he'd bring back more than Ryan did when he was traded. Bennett, Dumoulin and a 1st is a good base for Kane, with the Pens throwing in Orpik for cap purposes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Winnipeg doesn't really need blueline prospects. They would need a replacement for Kane.

I don't see how the Pens could make a competitive offer given their dearth of skilled fwds throughout the org.

You are talking BB + 1st + your centerpiece (reasonably young, skilled top six fwd that has a proven track record).

The Pens don't have a top six guy outside of Neal who could be that centerpiece.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... I guess if it really came down to it, the Penguins could probably part with Pascal "Centerpiece" Dupuis to make the deal happen.

You gotta give to get.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well... I guess if it really came down to it, the Penguins could probably part with Pascal "Centerpiece" Dupuis to make the deal happen.

You gotta give to get.

The Jets would have to add then. I'm thinking Wheeler + Kane for Dupuis + BB + 1st.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bennett being out 8-10 weeks really hurts his value. Not that I think the Pens should be moving him anyway. I would part with him as part of a package for Kane. I just don't think the Jets or any other team are looking to get a player out with a long-term injury as a big part of a deal for one of their stars.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ok just for giggles, this is Hockey Futures where picks and prospects reing surpreme

If the Pens only wanted picks, how many 1st round picks could they get for Trading
Crosby/Malkin/Letang?

I'd say around 20 to 25 for the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad