Speculation: 2013-2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part IV | KCD ain't gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Hemsky? I'm not worried about his numbers I'm sure they would go up playing with Sid but the guy is paper soft.

And I'm not just talking about the injuries. We need some one who is going to win battles in front of the net & on the boards while scoring. Hemsky is a perimeter player who is useless when he isn't scoring almost like Jokinen except at least Jokinen can play some what good defense.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
Big fan of the Despres-Chiasson trade proposal. Seems reasonable enough from the Pens point of view, dealing from a position of strength to get a player in a comparable age with a comparable contract that fills a very real need. Why would Dallas part with Chiasson, though? Genuinely curious since I don't know Dallas that well.

penguins2946*

Hemsky's been fine for the last 3 years.

69GP
38GP
37GP

It would be better to say missed games over those years. He missed 13 in 11-12, 10 last year and 1 this year. Playing in over 85% of games isn't injury prone.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ok smartass let's see you fix the 3C / goaltending problem in a number of moves-->

Screw the 3C model, Crosby/Malkin are not getting any younger and are this team. Build around them, then if you have room for a Staal like 3C, go for that. This team should have been built around Crosby/Malkin this whole time. This team can be far more dangerous then it is but Shero loves his Dmen far too much. I'd love to see a version of Shero that builds around the teams star power and what it would look like. The D probably wont be the greatest, but we would be a great puck possession team, the lack of D wont matter because most of the time spent will be in the offensive zone. Crosby and Malkin wont even have to carry the team as much, but once they go god mode you might aswell forfeit the game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Big fan of the Despres-Chiasson trade proposal. Seems reasonable enough from the Pens point of view, dealing from a position of strength to get a player in a comparable age with a comparable contract that fills a very real need. Why would Dallas part with Chiasson, though? Genuinely curious since I don't know Dallas that well.

because Simon Despres is a better player? At a position of need?

6'4", 214lb defensemen who are mobile, physical and gifted in both ends of the ice should always be parted with for wingers who have played like 42 nhl games.

Dallas should definitely think twice, Pittsburgh wouldn't regret it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ok smartass let's see you fix the 3C / goaltending problem in a number of moves-->

don't get hung-up on the 3C model. It only works if you have a center like Staal, the Penguins don't. You're better off building a top/bottom roster now. Build the best top-6 you can and then a bottom-6 that can play with speed and sandpaper.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
It would be better to say missed games over those years. He missed 13 in 11-12, 10 last year and none this year. Playing in over 85% of games isn't injury prone.

This year isn't over, and he played 47 and 22 games the two seasons before that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Hemsky? I'm not worried about his numbers I'm sure they would go up playing with Sid but the guy is paper soft.

And I'm not just talking about the injuries. We need some one who is going to win battles in front of the net & on the boards while scoring. Hemsky is a perimeter player who is useless when he isn't scoring almost like Jokinen except at least Jokinen can play some what good defense.

Exactly. He's not a good fit for this team.

It would be better to say missed games over those years. He missed 13 in 11-12, 10 last year and none this year. Playing in over 85% of games isn't injury prone.

He's missed a game this year. I don't care about the number of games he's missed, I care about the number of reasons he's missed games. That's how you determine if someone is injury prone.

penguins2946*

This year isn't over, and he played 47 and 22 games the two seasons before that.

Okay? That was 4 and 5 years ago. Him being injury prone then doesn't mean he is now. Stats from 5 years ago are irrelevant.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Okay? That was 4 and 5 years ago. Him being injury prone then doesn't mean he is now. Stats from 5 years ago are irrelevant.

Regardless, Hemsky's goal scoring totals are terrible for a guy with his skill and playing time he receives ES and on the PP. He plays on the outside, which doesn't fit Sid's game. The only thing Hemsky has going for him is that he's a solid playmaker and has great hands.

I think Hemsky would be a great fit in Detroit but with Bylsma here, this would be Miro Satan all over again. He'd be on the 4th line or benched unless injuries happened to the top 6 because he doesn't play the style that fits the team.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The issue with adding a scoring threat to Crosby's line is that none are available and we don't have the assets to get one. Pretty much the only players who fit the description and may be even slightly available are Pacioretty and Kane, neither of which fit the description very well. We don't have the assets to get either of those anyway, nor do we have the cap space. We're going to enter the playoffs with probably Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett, mainly because that's the best we could possibly do, with including trades.

There are no top-line RW that can create their own offense for under $4 million available. In fact, I don't know of any that even fit under $4 million, regardless of availability. It simply isn't a possibility this season. The only times we got elite talent at the deadline (Neal, Iginla, Hossa and such), we were either extremely under the cap or had Crosby and Malkin for less than $17.4 million because of ELCs or injuries. It simply isn't possible to get a top line winger right now.

I agree that there isn't an obvious one out there, but there likely is the option we never take, which is to trade a defenseman, preferably an established one, for a top end prospect, which can be had. Even if we plow ahead this season with what we have and hope it works out, that gives us a cheap option for next year... then of course is the reclamation play, get a guy who is slumping or injured or a prospect with upside that hasn't panned out... I mean that is how we got Nisky...and to some extent JJ as well. it can easily happen with a winger too...

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
Bring back Max

If you really think about it, this is what we need. Even though we're playing well right now, you don't win in the playoffs without someone like Talbot. Bring back Max for a 4th/prospect. If you can get Max and Cammy after the deadline, we could have lines like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Cammy
Neal-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Sutter-Talbot
Jokinen-Adams-Glass/Sill/Vitale/Megna

If we need a little more cap space, trade Jokinen away for a low pick. Four lines with grit that can score. A great defense with incredible depth, and a goalie who we should be able to win it all with if he plays decent with that lineup.

Thoughts?

BigBenSF*

michael-scott-no.gif

Talbot was trash when he left, and he's still trash now.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
michael-scott-no.gif

Talbot was trash when he left, and he's still trash now.

How would you say our grit/toughness/playoff success has been since he left? Obviously it's not all Max, but you don't fall off that far when it comes to big games and not attribute some of it to one of our bigger game players. Who by the way is making what, 1.75M per year when the cap is going to go up to 71M next year? I have no problem spending ~2.5% of our cap to take that type of "risk".

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We do miss having role players like Talbot that were good clutch playoff performers. I don't see the Avs trading him and I'm not really crazy about Max and his contract either.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
We do miss having role players like Talbot that were good clutch playoff performers. I don't see the Avs trading him and I'm not really crazy about Max and his contract either.

Right. And people will say, hey why don't we just get a similar guy who might have half the cap hit? The thing is, everyone knows when it's a player who came up with that club then it's that much more important to have that player than to have a completely new player come in who might not gel. Just look at Downie in Philly, I think one of the biggest reasons he's done so well for them is because that's where he started his career. And Downie did much less for us than Talbot. Shero wouldn't give Talbot that money a few years ago, and rightly so. Now if we got him, it would be for basically half the term with a higher salary cap next season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't want to spend that much on a 4th liner, so I don't want Talbot. Sure, it'd be better than Glass. But I'd rather play Sill or Z for league min and keep our trade assets.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
I don't want to spend that much on a 4th liner, so I don't want Talbot. Sure, it'd be better than Glass. But I'd rather play Sill or Z.

He's an actual 4th liner I wouldn't mind Bylsma double shifting Malkin or Crosby with instead of Glass and Adams. Z is an actual bum and has done nothing ever, unlike Max. I like Sill too and would love a 4th line with Sill and Talbot on it but that would never happen with Adams and Glass. So Talbot is my third line grit guy to with Sutter and Jokinen/Dupuis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad