Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You are taking things way too seriously, XX.

This is the internet.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You are taking things way too seriously, XX.

This is the internet.

Exactly. It's where an ever increasing number of people get their news from, and the medium that has the least amount of oversight and accountability. It's also damn near permanent. You can't erase what has been written. I'd hate for someone to learn the hard way that associating their real name with things, however innocuous, might not be the best idea.

The ethics argument is just wishful thinking on my part. Feel free to ignore it entirely.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Regardless of your intentions or your reason for doing it, your 'mindless fun' involved actual players. Your twitter misrepresents you by claiming to be a hockey writer for the Coyotes. Many beat writers, bloggers, and other people who often have credibility don't have a large following, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that people would believe you. Hell, you even duped some of your own Coyote fans. Would you be comfortable telling Klesla "hey Rusty, I'm totally going to claim you are being moved to the Oilers for Hemsky" in person?

The Miley Cryus thing was obviously a joke. Yours had a thin veneer of potential legitimacy to it. Is it a huge crime? No, but it's something that has the potential to stop being harmless and turn into something more real. That the internet is dumb enough to latch onto every shred of potential news is not your fault, but it is also why you have to show some restraint. Like it or not, twitter is a platform, and people rarely consider the source before running with it. Is that your real name? Because now it's associated with pranking people at the expense of a Coyote player.

I'm not really surprised that people are very angry with you. I'm a little disappointed that a fellow Coyote fan would do such a thing. I definitely will never cheer on twitter trolling, or agree that such a thing is mindless fun. I was out of school before twitter really took off, so maybe it's a gap in perception. You can chalk my posts up to nothing more than a 'get off my lawn' moment if you want. I have a feeling in five years or so, you just might agree with me. ;)

I was actually the writer representing Phoenix for Hockey Bums. That's not a lie, it just wasn't a popular site so it got shut down. It was basically a knock-off of Hockey Buzz. That's actually where I heard of HF from, it got me extra credit in high school so I'm not embarrassed to say it on here. :laugh:

But to be honest, I'm going to agree to disagree with you. I think you're a very mindful poster on these boards, but I think you're taking this a little too seriously. It's almost a "you had to be there" kind of thing. I'm not usually one to blend in with the crowd but the fake confirmations were going so viral that Hemsky was actually trending world wide for a moment. Sure it was stupid, but for you not to be surprised that it has warranted death threats is kind of surprising :laugh:

It's all good, I really do see where you are coming from, I just don't think in my instance it would have ever gotten to that magnitude.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Exactly. It's where an ever increasing number of people get their news from, and the medium that has the least amount of oversight and accountability. It's also damn near permanent. You can't erase what has been written. I'd hate for someone to learn the hard way that associating their real name with things, however innocuous, might not be the best idea.

The ethics argument is just wishful thinking on my part. Feel free to ignore it entirely.
Man, that sure sucks for Rabbit that his name will forever be associated with a hurtful rumor about Klesla :(

But it's really funny for the rest of us :handclap:

Twitter's not about historical accuracy, it's about instantaneous conversation. Fool Me Once, Fool Me Again logic applies for believing a half-news story posted on Twitter by an unconfirmed poster you've never heard of who has 5 followers, regardless of who he claims he is, ESPECIALLY if he claims he's a Coyotes writer in California ...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sure it was stupid, but for you not to be surprised that it has warranted death threats is kind of surprising :laugh:

It's the internet. I'm not THAT old. You probably could have said Eberle isn't worth OEL and gotten a bunch of death threats from people calling Alberta home.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doan has 40 pounds on Simmonds. Doan was twice the player Simmonds is at the same age. But I do like the way Simmonds plays, he would be an interesting addition to the Yotes.

Doan is bigger. Simmonds is pfp as strong as anyone in the NHL. Twice the player? Haha. I recommend you actually do the math on that, man. Just use google. It's free. They're very similar guys, really.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
It's the internet. I'm not THAT old. You probably could have said Eberle isn't worth OEL and gotten a bunch of death threats from people calling Alberta home.

You're absolutely right. No but I get you, probably wasn't my smartest move but hey, it sure was funny. Didn't think it would blow up like it did though :laugh:

Guess I'm still in my Military Frat stage.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan is bigger. Simmonds is pfp as strong as anyone in the NHL. Twice the player? Haha. I recommend you actually do the math on that, man. Just use google. It's free. They're very similar guys, really.

That's why I said in 5 yrs he won't be the same player. I don't think his body will stand up over time without having injuries.

They are similar players with the way they play but that's where it ends. Doan today is the better player and at the same age it wouldn't even be close. That being said I love the way Simmonds plays and I would like him on my team. He is a very solid player.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
According to McKenzie, everyone on the Panthers not named Marcel Goc, Jonathan Huberdeau, Sasha Barkov, Nick Bjugstad and Erik Gudbranson is available for trade right now.

With our center depth being tested and Goc not available, I wouldn't mind inquiring about Matthias.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Fiddler has asked for a trade. Might not be a bad re-acquisition now that money isn't quite as tight, but it also might make a bigger move at the deadline harder to pull off. Don't know...
I'd like to see more youth in the bottom six, but we're also looking like we have a real chance to push this year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd rather stand pat then make a move that could constrict what we do near the deadline. Plus not so hot on taking on a guy who asked for a trade because of minutes. He wont get those here either being behind 3 centers.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You guys always forget about the penalty kill. A 40 year old Jeff Halpern with a bum hip and mystery spasms won't carry us. Korpikoski and Moss are the top two pking forwards on the team. It's easy to say Szwarz or Chip could do it. Tippett certainly doesn't believe so. Hell, they are his go to pair for serving bench minors.

The excessive goals against is not a personnel problem. It will figure itself out. Also, the offensive outburst early is totally unsustainable for this roster. It's already dying out and will continue to do so. This GF and GA will both normalize to reflect the talent level of the roster and the improved adherence to the Dave Tippett system.

Agreed on both counts.

Unfortunately, b/c of the number of shots we are giving up, I see the offense slowing down faster than the defense getting tighter. Some of that is due to injury, but other times it has just been spotty defensive play. Our defense can do so much, and when the D does jump into the play, our forwards have to be more prepared to move back in the neutral zone.

What about Nick Spaling for a 6th? Doesn't really solve the F/O issue, but is another body at LW.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
According to McKenzie, everyone on the Panthers not named Marcel Goc, Jonathan Huberdeau, Sasha Barkov, Nick Bjugstad and Erik Gudbranson is available for trade right now.

With our center depth being tested and Goc not available, I wouldn't mind inquiring about Matthias.

Why? We have enough bottom six already and Brown and Lessio in the minors. I want that top six forward. I'm tired of looking at other teams cast offs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed on both counts.

Unfortunately, b/c of the number of shots we are giving up, I see the offense slowing down faster than the defense getting tighter. Some of that is due to injury, but other times it has just been spotty defensive play. Our defense can do so much, and when the D does jump into the play, our forwards have to be more prepared to move back in the neutral zone.

What about Nick Spaling for a 6th? Doesn't really solve the F/O issue, but is another body at LW.

What does he do for us?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd rather stand pat then make a move that could constrict what we do near the deadline. Plus not so hot on taking on a guy who asked for a trade because of minutes. He wont get those here either being behind 3 centers.

I think that is what DM is doing. As teams drop out of the playoff race there will be better players available than now. I just do not want more bottom six coming here unless we can trade one of our bottom six. I still want that top six forward that DM has been talking about since the start of the season.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Agreed, we've got Ribeiro, Doan, Vrbata, Hanzal, Boedker in the top 6, we need one more guy who can put the puck in the net.

Bottom six can be Korpi, Moss, Klinkhammer, Chips, Halpern, Biz (missed Vermette)

My ideal would be to add one top 6 and then go get one more bottom 6 to replace Chips. I think we need to upgrade both

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, we've got Ribeiro, Doan, Vrbata, Hanzal, Boedker in the top 6, we need one more guy who can put the puck in the net.

Bottom six can be Korpi, Moss, Klinkhammer, Chips, Halpern, Biz

My ideal would be to add one top 6 and then go get one more bottom 6 to replace Chips. I think we need to upgrade both

Don't forget about Vermette. We have Brown, Lessio and Szwarz who by the way has played very well with his limited ice time. The only way that I would add a bottom six is if we can trade one of our bottom six.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

Bottom six can be Korpi, Moss, Klinkhammer, Chips, Halpern, Biz

i agree that the Coyotes top priority should be a top 6 forward. IMO, it could be later in the season. This team will make the playoffs with the current roster, but needs to be tweaked for the playoffs. The President Cup would be nice, but I would prefer Lord Stanley's Cup. Just want to clarify priorities, not expectations! Ideally, I would like the Coyotes to acquire a top 6 2 way forward on an affordable contract right now and another forward closer to the dead line.
Don't forget about Vermette. We have Brown, Lessio and Szwarz who by the way has played very well with his limited ice time. The only way that I would add a bottom six is if we can trade one of our bottom six.
I'm sure Tippet would like 9 top 6 forwards to go along with 6 top 4 d'men...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think that is what DM is doing. As teams drop out of the playoff race there will be better players available than now. I just do not want more bottom six coming here unless we can trade one of our bottom six. I still want that top six forward that DM has been talking about since the start of the season.

As we get closer to the dead line, I could see a rental for rental swap, Klesla plus a young asset or draft pick for a top 6 rental, both being UFA's. The problem with that is, we need Klesla, so I doubt this is likely to happen and also DM has not been a rental guy.

The way I see it happening is, once another team decided they are in rebuild mode, between here and the dead line, we get a decent top 6 two way forward, for one or two of Gormley/Runblad/Schlemko/Stone, another young player (AHL) like Brown, and draft pick. We might have to have a Moss or other salary going back some how the other way to make it work. Another team will want multiple young assets for the top 6 forward we would need.

Adding salary back will be the tricky part. But, the closer we get to the deadline and if the team is still doing really well, maybe the new owners can bite off more salary for the rest of the year. Next year, Klesla will be gone and we can juggle payroll players then. We shall see and I am glad DM is patient, waiting for the right deal....

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Last year, there wasn't a lot of action at the deadline because, in such a short season, more teams were still in the running. This year, I'm expecting a similar lack of action, but due to the artificially low cap that has a lot of teams working with very little space. The Coyotes don't really have any big salaries to ship out, but if they did, there aren't many teams who would want to take it on. Any deals this year will likely be minor.

That said, there are still some guys that could be worth bringing in. Lee Stempniak comes to mind.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What does he do for us?

PK. Alluding to rt's comments, we are not using Chipchura or Szwarz on the PK, so why not pick up someone who can fill the same role as Szwarz is in 5-on-5, but will be able to spell players like Moss or Korpikoski. Keep Hanzal, Vermette, and/or Halpern available for faceoff duties and leave players like Vrbata and Moss for work on PP situations for 1st and 2nd units respectively. Szwarz would get sent back down to AHL where he can get a little more ice time across several situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad