Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Brown or Lessio won't matter. A trade is the way to go. Tippett won't play whoever they call up anyway. We need a forward That can play with Ribs bad. Two would be better to get Moss and Korpi out of the top 6 but I'd be happy with one. At the Canucks game Tuesday night, that's the one thing that really stuck out to me. Ribs needs a wing that can put the puck in the net. I'd really like to see it happen soon to give the team plenty of time to gel. Make a big addition now then only maybe need a slight upgrade rental at the deadline. We have the assets to get it done. With how well they are playing, DM is probably holding out for top value. Love our defense and that group is only getting better.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Brown or Lessio won't matter. A trade is the way to go. Tippett won't play whoever they call up anyway. We need a forward That can play with Ribs bad. Two would be better to get Moss and Korpi out of the top 6 but I'd be happy with one. At the Canucks game Tuesday night, that's the one thing that really stuck out to me. Ribs needs a wing that can put the puck in the net. I'd really like to see it happen soon to give the team plenty of time to gel. Make a big addition now then only maybe need a slight upgrade rental at the deadline. We have the assets to get it done. With how well they are playing, DM is probably holding out for top value. Love our defense and that group is only getting better.

We could probably get away with trading Korpi and Moss away and have Brown and Lessio come up. However, Korpi just signed that contract, and I am sure he is here to stay. However, if we need to part with one, I'd be okay with letting Moss go and having Brown replace him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Moss is certainly more likely to get moved than Korpi due to age and contract status; that being said, Moss has certainly been better in the offensive zone than Korpi while being as effective defensively so far this season. At this point I'm slightly in favor of actually moving Korpi either in a package for a Top 6 forward or somewhere else to help with being able to afford one. But of course, he could very well turn it around soon on offense.

With Klesla and Morris battling injuries off and on so far, it looks like we'll need all of our defensive depth. Fortunately, I do think it's possible to get a scoring winger for Ribeiro like Ryder through draft picks and forward prospects.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Moss is certainly more likely to get moved than Korpi due to age and contract status; that being said, Moss has certainly been better in the offensive zone than Korpi while being as effective defensively so far this season. At this point I'm slightly in favor of actually moving Korpi either in a package for a Top 6 forward or somewhere else to help with being able to afford one. But of course, he could very well turn it around soon on offense.

With Klesla and Morris battling injuries off and on so far, it looks like we'll need all of our defensive depth. Fortunately, I do think it's possible to get a scoring winger for Ribeiro like Ryder through draft picks and forward prospects.

Moss and Korpi both do some good things, I just don't like either on Hanzal or Ribs' line.

Ribs/Doan
Hanzal/Vrbata
Vermette/Boeds

You put either Moss or Korpi on that third like and find a way to get two forwards that can fill two top 6 slots and we have a legit shot imo. I know that's more than we can hope for so if you move Boeds up and get just one guy, that's still pretty good. Then if you add somebody like Whitney at the deadline, maybe that puts us over the top. I really like how the younger guys on D have progressed along with how Boeds and Hanzal have improved a bit offensively. Definitely more talent than we've had in a long time, maybe ever.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You guys always forget about the penalty kill. A 40 year old Jeff Halpern with a bum hip and mystery spasms won't carry us. Korpikoski and Moss are the top two pking forwards on the team. It's easy to say Szwarz or Chip could do it. Tippett certainly doesn't believe so. Hell, they are his go to pair for serving bench minors.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
You guys always forget about the penalty kill. A 40 year old Jeff Halpern with a bum hip and mystery spasms won't carry us. Korpikoski and Moss are the top two pking forwards on the team. It's easy to say Szwarz or Chip could do it. Tippett certainly doesn't believe so. Hell, they are his go to pair for serving bench minors.

Speaking of Halpern, does anyone know what the deal with his injury is? I haven't had heard any updates in over a week and if I'm not mistaken, he's still just listed as day-to-day.

rt

May 13, 2004
Simmonds' salary breakdown:

2013-2014: 2.8M
2014-2015: 3.2M
2015-2016: 3.8M
2016-2017: 4.3M
2017-2018: 4.75M
2018-2019: 5.0M

AAV: 3.975M

Although I really do like Simmonds, I'm not sure if he can achieve a consistent level of production that justifies his contract. There's certainly a risk here. He definitely has the most upside, but it's going to be a long-term commitment if we move for him. At least with someone like Ryder we know exactly what we're getting for cheaper and for a shorter term.

In half a decade 5m won't be what it is now.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Speaking of Halpern, does anyone know what the deal with his injury is? I haven't had heard any updates in over a week and if I'm not mistaken, he's still just listed as day-to-day.

I thought I saw that Tippet thinks he could be back at the end of this week. He was put on the IR on 10/31/13, so he should be available to play tomorrow night if he's able to. I believe the rules are 7 days?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Korpi turn his offense around?:shakehead I hope so but I doubt it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

So true.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Florida Panthers have fired their ENTIRE coaching staff and Tallon is itching to make deals.

I want Tomas Fleischmann. David Rundblad, Tobias Rieder and a 2nd?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rundblad + Rieder + 2nd is an overpayment for Flash. Rundblad + 2nd should be more than enough. But not sure how we can afford Flash's 4.5M salary unless we ask for retention.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our problem is still being responsible defensively not offense at the moment. I hope if we make a trade for a forward, the player coming back is solid defensively and we don't over pay. If the D gets better, and it should with Tip, we are on good shape. Hopefully injuries slow down a bit too. It seems like every year the injured are: DMO, Klesla, Schlemko, Hanzel, Verby and Smith. Verby hurt his hamstring the other night, so waiting for Hanzel and Smith to be injured now. It would be nice to have a full squad for 5-10 games in a row....

rt

May 13, 2004
The excessive goals against is not a personnel problem. It will figure itself out. Also, the offensive outburst early is totally unsustainable for this roster. It's already dying out and will continue to do so. This GF and GA will both normalize to reflect the talent level of the roster and the improved adherence to the Dave Tippett system.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In half a decade 5m won't be what it is now.

True. Nevertheless, Simmonds is still going to be quite the investment for Maloney (and ownership). Philly is not going to part with him easily because he fits their rough and tumble Broad Street ethos to a T.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nevertheless, we're already at our internal cap and we'd still owe Flash 3.6M.

Makes you wonder how rigid the cap is. This isn't the NHL writing the checks anymore. We've been winning an awful lot. How has attendance been? Are the new owners pleasantly surprised? Are early expectations exceeded? (I honestly don't know, haha)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Our problem is still being responsible defensively not offense at the moment. I hope if we make a trade for a forward, the player coming back is solid defensively and we don't over pay. If the D gets better, and it should with Tip, we are on good shape. Hopefully injuries slow down a bit too. It seems like every year the injured are: DMO, Klesla, Schlemko, Hanzel, Verby and Smith. Verby hurt his hamstring the other night, so waiting for Hanzel and Smith to be injured now. It would be nice to have a full squad for 5-10 games in a row....

Not such a big problem given our record :), but of course too many goals against is the issue and the offensive production will most likely wane. Said issue is one of puck support and possession - Fleischmann would be a HUGE benefit.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Makes you wonder how rigid the cap is. This isn't the NHL writing the checks anymore. We've been winning an awful lot. How has attendance been? Are the new owners pleasantly surprised? Are early expectations exceeded? (I honestly don't know, haha)

The budget should also look a little different just from internal roster moves. With guys moving up and down and a few spending time on IR (which I think is insured against, though I'm not totally sure) or in the press box on suspension, there may be a few extra dollars lying around. Definitely not anything substantial, but we're talking about margins here anyway.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

To get the type of top 6 forward you are talking about GMDM will need to part with some valuable players or players! The only way i see the team bringing in that type of player through a trade would be to give up Yandle and go with what we have at D!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The budget should also look a little different just from internal roster moves. With guys moving up and down and a few spending time on IR (which I think is insured against, though I'm not totally sure) or in the press box on suspension, there may be a few extra dollars lying around. Definitely not anything substantial, but we're talking about margins here anyway.

Don't suspended players have their salary that would have been earned during those games to a players fund or something like that? Or is the money really kept by the owners that are paying these players?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To get the type of top 6 forward you are talking about GMDM will need to part with some valuable players or players! The only way i see the team bringing in that type of player through a trade would be to give up Yandle and go with what we have at D!

No way, we aren't giving up Yandle and won't have to. Look at the teams record, it would be insane to trade any part of our core. We would be better off standing pat then trading Yandle.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The excessive goals against is not a personnel problem. It will figure itself out. Also, the offensive outburst early is totally unsustainable for this roster. It's already dying out and will continue to do so. This GF and GA will both normalize to reflect the talent level of the roster and the improved adherence to the Dave Tippett system.

I don't think the outburst is totally unsustainable. DMO is the only real surprise so far. I think it will come down a little, as teams are better prepared and we have been playing from behind a lot, so more wide open. Once our D improves and we have the lead to start, it might come down. I don't see it as a problem now or in the future. Our PP is looking the best that I have seen since the Coyotes have been here. The Puck movement is great, so I think it continues to pay off, even better in the next few months.

It all gets back to positionally solid D from everyone, and I think we have taken stupid penalties because we have been out of position, leading to more PK time, more GA. Most of our chances and goals are generated by the dump, chase, turnover program. Having another skill forward would help, as long as he can forecheck and be solid on D. I am just not convinced we need another high producing forward.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Don't suspended players have their salary that would have been earned during those games to a players fund or something like that? Or is the money really kept by the owners that are paying these players?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe teams do not pay players for the duration of their suspensions. I think the money that goes into the fund comes from fines? I'm having trouble finding concrete info one way or another at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad