Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not too far now...

That's a good point. If you give Miele a spot over Lats, it's probably smart to give Yip a spot over Brule.

Yip is kind of the forgotten man on these threads. Like we all have been saying, this is going to be a very competitive camp.

I'm with you on Miele, although he is looking good in the rookie training camp. That probably will change when he starts to play with men.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Miele deserves his shot, he chose us over a few different teams at the time and has kicked ass for our organization. We have no reason to not give him a chance.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Miele deserves his shot, he chose us over a few different teams at the time and has kicked ass for our organization. We have no reason to not give him a chance.
Well, I think not proving to be as good as or better than the others competing for a roster spot would be reason to not give him a chance ;)
Having said that, I'm rooting for the guy. I've liked him since the day we signed him. Miele is the sort of player on and off the ice that I'd like to see succeed as a Coyote.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

But he hasn't really kicked ass at all. He's twenty five years old. If he were going to be a top six NHL player, he'd be one. Also, you'd think he'd at least be a point per game player in the AHL. At the very least. Matt Read he is not.

Feb 12, 2003
I agree, unless Miele is a late bloomer what you see is what you get. I don't really expect him to push for a spot although he'll obviously make it to the main camp to vie for a spot.

Briere was a late bloomer, but he showed so much more than Miele at this point in their careers. Miele will get his chance in camp, but if he doesn't make the team I wouldn't be surprised if they shop him to see if anyone is willing to give him a shot. If nothing else he's helpful on the farm for the remainder of the season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But he hasn't really kicked ass at all. He's twenty five years old. If he were going to be a top six NHL player, he'd be one. Also, you'd think he'd at least be a point per game player in the AHL. At the very least. Matt Read he is not.

Your right. I can not see him making the team, although DM says he is close. He has been one of the better players at rookie training camp, but like you said, he really is a man playing against boys.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He probably chose us for a reason. He will get his shot, but I can not see him making the team.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

I don't recall him "choosing us." He's had a shot or two already and will get a shot or two more, it's up to him. Chooose us or not.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
it boggles my mind that some don't understand that Tippett doesn't do anything because someone deserves it, they have to earn it.

if Miele can earn it under Tippett's accountable style of coaching, that would be huge for the organization and especially Miele.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
He's no Matt Read, but he's also not a Bissonette. He has done well in the AHL, I think he deserves a long look and maybe a cup of coffee.

He probably chose us for a reason. He will get his shot, but I can not see him making the team.

I don't recall him "choosing us." He's had a shot or two already and will get a shot or two more, it's up to him. Chooose us or not.
He did choose us, he had other NHL teams wanting to sign him around the same time we signed him. He and Maloney both said it.

it boggles my mind that some don't understand that Tippett doesn't do anything because someone deserves it, they have to earn it.

if Miele can earn it under Tippett's accountable style of coaching, that would be huge for the organization and especially Miele.

Well It boggles MY mind that I say he deserves a shot to make the team, and you guys think that I mean he deserves a full 82 game season. I just want them to offer him a fair chance in training camp, not a solidified roster spot based off of one day of rookie camp. I am well aware of how Dave Tippett's system works.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
There is definitely a LW spot up for grabs. Its not a guaranteed spot for Latendresse or Domi or anyone else. Miele has the opportunity to earn that spot. I personally doubt he will but he will have the chance.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Well It boggles MY mind that I say he deserves a shot to make the team, and you guys think that I mean he deserves a full 82 game season. I just want them to offer him a fair chance in training camp, not a solidified roster spot based off of one day of rookie camp. I am well aware of how Dave Tippett's system works.

I'll admit that I got a good laugh at the strawman argument you were responding to. :laugh:

I'll add by saying that just because a player never makes it into the NHL playing under Tippett doesn't mean they won't be able to play in the NHL period. Every team has a different way of doing things when it comes to player development. Our origanization believes that playing in development leagues only is the way to train those to be NHL ready and the only way to be NHL ready is to make the team out of camp. Other organizations believe that one has to actually play in the NHL for sometime in order to be able to play in the league regadless of where the player has developed their game in the past. I'm just saying this because just in case Melie doesn't make the team ever that doesn't mean he won't make it in the NHL ever.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
There is definitely a LW spot up for grabs. Its not a guaranteed spot for Latendresse or Domi or anyone else. Miele has the opportunity to earn that spot. I personally doubt he will but he will have the chance.

I think this year would have to be Miele's last chance, if he blows whatever that's given him, then he would be out of the organization. I can also see someone like Lessio earn a spot on the top 6, probably not at the beginning of the season, but at some point during the campaign. Also Samuelsson is another player to watch, he could be the dark horse coming out to take the spot by mid-season.

Short of those, I think the best way would be to get a medium term solution through some low-profile trade (Klesla + 2nd or something), for the next 2-3 years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Agreed. Of course he will have a chance. I'm just saying he's twenty five years old and you'd expect a hell of a lot more AHL production from a guy who's supposed to end up a top six player in the NHL. If he were a half decade younger and accomplishing this, I'd have high hopes. As of now, I'd be very surprised if he ever became a regular NHL player. There isn't a precedent for this. By his age, he should be dominating the AHL to ever get a shot. Hell, look at guys like Brandon Bochenski or Jeff Tambellini. They could never stick in the NHL full time after lengthy college careers but they were dominating the AHL by the time they were Miele's age. These overage NCAA signings rarely work out. When they do, it is frankly pretty damned obvious right from the start that they are going to.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Agreed. Of course he will have a chance. I'm just saying he's twenty five years old and you'd expect a hell of a lot more AHL production from a guy who's supposed to end up a top six player in the NHL. If he were a half decade younger and accomplishing this, I'd have high hopes. As of now, I'd be very surprised if he ever became a regular NHL player. There isn't a precedent for this. By his age, he should be dominating the AHL to ever get a shot. Hell, look at guys like Brandon Bochenski or Jeff Tambellini. They could never stick in the NHL full time after lengthy college careers but they were dominating the AHL by the time they were Miele's age. These overage NCAA signings rarely work out. When they do, it is frankly pretty damned obvious right from the start that they are going to.
Not exactly apples-to-apples comparisons, but the oft-discussed Mikhail Grabovski didn't make an impact in the NHL until 24 and Brian Rafalski (who was playing in Finland) didn't show up until he was 27 or 28. Rafalski DID win the Norris trophy in Finland, but I think most folks rate the AHL as better than SM-Liiga.

Tambellini's early 2000's Michigan teams were a lot of fun to watch, but does anyone think the Kings want a do-over on the 2003 first round?

26 LAK - Brian Boyle C St. Sebastian's [Mass. H.S.]
27 LAK - Jeff Tambellini L U. of Michigan [CCHA]
28 ANA - Corey Perry R London Knights [OHL]
:facepalm:

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012

I agree with You on this. "Deserve" is a word that has no place in Sports. Either you are able to produce and are able to add something to the Team, Here and Now. This Season!!!! Or You don't belong here. Is there anyone here that has a job where they end don't have to produce???

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Perhaps they are all drunks? I don't think Meile is, but having never seen any of their puke first hand, I really don't feel qualified to say. :D

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Lessio is kind of getting lost in all this talk. I have a feeling he's going to push hard for a roster spot. Fast skater, tenacious, good goal scorer, and physically developed. I've heard a lot about Lats over the years but I've never really came away with that impressed. So I would prefer to see what Domi and Lessio bring to the table. Depending on what kind of chemistry Domi can create with the czech line might determine wether or not he makes the team. Same with Lessio in a scoring role but his line mates might be more ideal with Doan and Ribeiro.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Lessio is kind of getting lost in all this talk. I have a feeling he's going to push hard for a roster spot. Fast skater, tenacious, good goal scorer, and physically developed. I've heard a lot about Lats over the years but I've never really came away with that impressed. So I would prefer to see what Domi and Lessio bring to the table. Depending on what kind of chemistry Domi can create with the czech line might determine wether or not he makes the team. Same with Lessio in a scoring role but his line mates might be more ideal with Doan and Ribeiro.

The number one reason I don't see Lessio or Domi any rookie making this team in any meaningful role is that the open wing slot is in the top six. Whoever that is will end up playing with Hanzal and Vrbata (meaning he'd better be capable defensively, because he'll often be matched up against the opposition's top line), or he'll be with Ribeiro and either Doan or Boedker, meaning he'll likely be facing the opposition's best defenders. In any event, it's not an optimal situation for a green player.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
At this point I've seen NO ONE at rookie camp that should be playing in the NHL for the Phoenix Coyotes. If any of them do make the cut, they will have had stepped up their game, or God help us because we've been forced to "settle."

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
He's no Matt Read, but he's also not a Bissonette. He has done well in the AHL, I think he deserves a long look and maybe a cup of coffee.

it doesn't seem like you do when you throw out terms like cup of coffee, and long look, and insinuate he hasn't got a fair shot in the past.

he's had the same shot every other player has had under Tippett, how more fair can he be?

Tippett doesn't serve cups of coffee.

hey, we're probably all saying the same thing and its just semantics.

I say I hope he earns a high number of nhl games, you say you hope he gets a fair chance, but we're saying the same thing.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
The number one reason I don't see Lessio or Domi any rookie making this team in any meaningful role is that the open wing slot is in the top six. Whoever that is will end up playing with Hanzal and Vrbata (meaning he'd better be capable defensively, because he'll often be matched up against the opposition's top line), or he'll be with Ribeiro and either Doan or Boedker, meaning he'll likely be facing the opposition's best defenders. In any event, it's not an optimal situation for a green player.

We have to get lucky sometime right ;) I mean it can't all happen on D.

Never thought Whitney was the greatest defender but he was apt at making plays and keeping it simple if he got pressured on his side. The reason I mentioned those two are is because we agree that the only spot available is in the top 6. Out of everyone in our system I see these as the two most likely candidates to step in and make an impact offensively. Which is what they're going to have to do to make the team. Obviously Tippet demands his defense but Whitney was no stranger to floating on that line. I'm sure as the game progresses we are likely to see some alterations to kind of put a trap on and seal the deal so to speak. Either way I'm thinking at least one of them is going to get a cup of coffee and we can sit there and evaluate wether they should stick around once that happens.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think Lessio has already opened a few eyes last year and this year. He looked great at the scrimmage on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->