2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is also the last year we have Vrbata at a bargain contract at $3m. If he produces anywhere close to 30 goals again, he will be looking at a raise and not an easy player to replace.

So GMDM does need to be careful with our cap.

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier today. Also, year two and three in some of these back-loaded deals are not so friendly. We can't just expect a ten percent bump in budget every single season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This is also the last year we have Vrbata at a bargain contract at $3m. If he produces anywhere close to 30 goals again, he will be looking at a raise and not an easy player to replace.

So GMDM does need to be careful with our cap.

I would think that after Vrby's nearly-disastrous stint in Tampa and relative lack of success everywhere else, he will definitely going to stay here, hopefully for the remainder of his career. Obviously it'd be great if we can resign him for nearly the same salary, but of course I wouldn't want Maloney to lowball him either.

Morris and Klesla will be off the books next season, freeing up ~6M, and Doan's salary goes down another 500K as well. But OEL, Smith and Ribs will be getting good sized raises.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well Morris and Klesa do clear up over $5m in cap, which should be enough to pay Vrby. I imagine he will want around $4-5m, but $3m is just too low for his production.

As had been stated numerous times in this thread, it seems some sort of trade with our D is inevitable.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Mo is reaching Doan status for me. I don't think he loses his spot. Let the kids move in front of him and get more icetime, but that man should finish his career here so long as he doesn't drop off significantly.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Mo is reaching Doan status for me. I don't think he loses his spot. Let the kids move in front of him and get more icetime, but that man should finish his career here so long as he doesn't drop off significantly.

I agree. It seems to me like the franchise actually means something to him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I was impressed with Morris showing to the Council meeting. Plus, he seems to play a lot better here than he has with other teams. Keep him around.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Klesla being 5th in TOI is what makes him available. It doesnt make him a no.5 defenseman, he's only 5th because of our depth, on most teams he comes in as a top 4 defenseman. It's like Jordan Staal being a third line centre on the Pens when he's really a top 6 (probably top line).

Fiddler types can be had in FA.. the 2nd is nice but I'd hope GMDM would leverage Klesla for something that's harder to obtain on the market. He can afford to be patient.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying. All that I know is that when Klesla was traded to us (even if Columbus was simply shedding salary), we basically gave up a tweener 2/3 forward and a bottom 6 d-man. I don't see Klesla getting us a true top 6 forward. I don't mind kicking the tires on Malone, but you might not be getting the total package there. Same thing with Klesla - GMs know he will miss 15 games per year.

You are correct that patience is what we have working for us, and if any one of our top 6 is out, we'll find out soon if Gormley, Rundblad, or Summers can stick. Assuming Rundblad has signed, these players will be available at the trade deadline, including Klesla. I'd expect them to be part of deals if we are where we are record and development-wise. I feel like we've made a splash already with Ribeiro and Greiss. Maybe an underrated type of deal is what I'd be looking for, if any are to occur at this point. Malone may be that, and he may not. Connolly more likely. But value is a big key for me right now, too.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier today. Also, year two and three in some of these back-loaded deals are not so friendly. We can't just expect a ten percent bump in budget every single season.
Vrbata, Vermette and Doan 2014, 2015 and 2016. I can see all three leaving (a Doan retirement/paycut) as the price of paying good contracts now. And I'm fine with that, because we might have just drafted three cost-controlled replacements last week. Come on, Portland, don't fail is now ...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was impressed with Morris showing to the Council meeting. Plus, he seems to play a lot better here than he has with other teams. Keep him around.

I don't see us trading DMO. We can't get much value for him but he would be in demand from a contender for a later pick. But, if we are in the playoff hunt, as I expect, we would keep him, not trade him for a pick. We don't trade OEL or Yandle, plus Schlemko and Stone are on good contracts. I think it gets back to Klesla, Z, Runblad, Gormley, as the chips we have for value to land a top 6 forward.

To me 3rd and 4th line forwards are basically fill ins, mix and match of parts. I wouldn't give up any of the above D for that. Only way it happens (Vern fiddler as an example) is if we need to dump salary.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Well the guy is going to be a stud anyway. Near future looks great for you guys.

Edit: Also great to see this board being a lot more active then past years, you die hard fans have got to be some of the best in the league.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I just hope Gormley doesn't get pissed and want out. He has been the in the top 3 players at every prospect camp since he's been drafted. I can't wait to see him play for us. Have a feeling he is going to be extremely effective for us.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nope. I assume we will have injuries this season on the blue line. He should earn at least twenty or thirty percent of his NHL salary this season if he can keep himself healthy. Next season, the NHL is his oyster. Walk in, slay it, earn a one-way contract, and the career writes itself from there.

Not sure why Rundblad is getting the Rundblad treatment. I don't expect Gormley to suffer the same.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Nope. I assume we will have injuries this season on the blue line. He should earn at least twenty or thirty percent of his NHL salary this season if he can keep himself healthy. Next season, the NHL is his oyster. Walk in, slay it, earn a one-way contract, and the career writes itself from there.

Not sure why Rundblad is getting the Rundblad treatment. I don't expect Gormley to suffer the same.

Me neither, but i hate it. He showed flashes of brilliance with us this last year, and he showed he really improved his defensive game. I don't want him to be the odd man out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gormley has got to he basically a lock to make the team this year right?

Training camp will tell us if he will make it or not. Like Tip said, it doesn't matter who it is, if they make our team better, they will play. Same goes for Gormley, if outplays the vets he stays. It will just force GMDM to make a trade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

To be quite honest, Rundblad did not impress me much last year. Maybe I was expecting to much, but besides a couple of offensive zone brilliant plays he looked slow and confused in the defensive zone. Maybe he thinks he is better than he is and GMDM knows he needs more time. As of now that trade looks crappy.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Nick Spaling filed for arbitration too. Like Halischuck, another young, versatile, two-way Pred I'd be interested in acquiring - if his asking price is cheap.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Well Morris and Klesa do clear up over $5m in cap, which should be enough to pay Vrby. I imagine he will want around $4-5m, but $3m is just too low for his production.

As had been stated numerous times in this thread, it seems some sort of trade with our D is inevitable.

I think the 3.5 Ryder got from New Jersey will definitely help in negotiations with Vrbata. I'm hoping the Don is already in talks with the Vrby camp about an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad