2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The Hagelin signing is probably a blessing in disguise. Boedker doesn't deserve one penny more. Gaveling has had the more effective NHL career to this point. As has Korpikoski. They got 2.25 and 2.5 mil/avg respectively. Boedker can't possibly believe he's above that range by some form of top ten selection magic, can be? We've got pretty clear comps, in these two. He needs to get his ass signed.

Definitely.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I love Milan Hejduk. One of my favorite players ever. He has really turned into more of a playmaker as his career winds down, and he has lost a step or two. It makes me sad to see how much his game has declined as he gets older. With that said, I would absolutely take him for a year or maybe two max if he plays well enough. One or two years might be just what we need until Domi is ready.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Klesla averaged the 5th most ice time amongst d-men, though. Our top 4 all averaged above 20 mins, and Klesla averaged 17 and change. Plus, we gave Columbus Upshall and Lepisto, both of whom I would put toward the bottom end of the top 9 forwards or 6 d-men. And Tippett stated in years past that when he needed energy, he would pair Fiddler with players that "needed a little giddyup" in their game. Fiddler and a 2nd for Klesla could be done, and I would take that in a second

Klesla being 5th in TOI is what makes him available. It doesnt make him a no.5 defenseman, he's only 5th because of our depth, on most teams he comes in as a top 4 defenseman. It's like Jordan Staal being a third line centre on the Pens when he's really a top 6 (probably top line).

Fiddler types can be had in FA.. the 2nd is nice but I'd hope GMDM would leverage Klesla for something that's harder to obtain on the market. He can afford to be patient.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone know anything on Anderson's replacement?

Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan
#Coyotes have hired Newell Brown to join coaching staff. Will act as assistant coach, replacing John Anderson who will not return.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Was in Vancouver and was flushed out with the rest of AV's staff. Apparently he'll take over the PP according to Sarah's following tweets.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He'll definitely be the new forwards/offense coach.

Don't see any of the usual connections to DM, DT, or Dave King. Not a Whaler, Ranger, or Hartford Wolfpack guy.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know anything on Anderson's replacement?

Vancouver's PP coach for three years under Vigneault. Last year was rough, but they were 4th and 1st in the league the two years before that. It helps to have the Sedins on your powerplay, but he seems to know his stuff, and I like that he's got some advanced stats and analytics in his back pocket.

rt

May 13, 2004
Article makes mention of PP exploits...
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/vigneault_asst_may_join_rangers_qLnDxL6yKxF7Wv74mVwalI

and another one...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ff+power+play+ousted+coach/8427083/story.html

...seems like a real PP guru but he's obsessed with Right Handed Shots. Given that OEL and Yandle are both LHD, I find it particularly ironic that we don't appear all that interested in giving David Rundblad a full-time spot.

Let's see...

Yandle - LH
OEL - LH
Doan - LH
Ribeiro - LH
Boedker - LH
Hanzal - LH
Vermette - LH
Korpikoski - LH

On the right side we've got Derek Morris, Mike Stone, Radim Vrbata and David Moss.

ughhh

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if Anderson will return to his restaurant biz here in Toronto

3840933780_4c51d60332.jpg

rt

May 13, 2004
EDIT: Check that. Doan is RHS. That makes it a little better. Split he and Vrbata up and that helps each PP have a RHS.

Still, I wish we could've let Summers go and got Rundblad under contract. Dress seven D and let him ride the pine until PP time.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/vigneault_asst_may_join_rangers_qLnDxL6yKxF7Wv74mVwalI

and another one...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ff+power+play+ousted+coach/8427083/story.html

...seems like a real PP guru but he's obsessed with Right Handed Shots. Given that OEL and Yandle are both LHD, I find it particularly ironic that we don't appear all that interested in giving David Rundblad a full-time spot.

Let's see...

Yandle - LH
OEL - LH
Doan - LH
Ribeiro - LH
Boedker - LH
Hanzal - LH
Vermette - LH
Korpikoski - LH

On the right side we've got Derek Morris, Mike Stone, Radim Vrbata and David Moss.

ughhh
Doan is right handed.

rt

May 13, 2004
Direct Maloney quotes:

“We are pleased to add Newell to our coaching staff,” general manager Don Maloney said. “Newell has a wealth of experience and brings a very positive, upbeat attitude to our hockey club. His primary focus will be our power play and creating more offensive opportunities in our games. With assistant coach John Anderson not returning, we have found an excellent replacement.”

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677534

I'm really, really happy about this. Between Brown and Ribs, we may actually have a competent PP this season. Or at least something approaching that.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

and another one...

Let's see...

Yandle - LH
OEL - LH
Doan - LH
Ribeiro - LH
Boedker - LH
Hanzal - LH
Vermette - LH
Korpikoski - LH

ughhh

"Obsessed" seems like a strong word. The quote in the Post story is just pulled from the Sun story. But it makes sense that five lefties would hinder powerplay success.

The "77% of powerplay goals are scored with two or more righties on the ice" is an interesting stat on its own, but it's indicative of a larger awareness of statistical analysis that should prove quite valuable. Vigneault was at the vanguard of this sort of thing, so grabbing one of his disciples is a good move. If Brown is to Vigneault what Burke was to Allaire, this staff just got a lot better.

Also, at the risk of counting chickens before they hatch, Hejduk is a rightie.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Another article on Brown, with quotes, talking about the PP struggles last year:

Brown offered an interesting observation/statistic regarding the power play in the aftermath of his dismissal by Vancouver, which also fired Vigneault and associate coach Rick Bowness. He told the Vancouver Sun that “77 percent of power-play goals are scored with at least two right-hand shots [on the ice].â€

Oh hey guys, guess who happened to have had 29 goals last year(over a dozen of which were on the power play) and is a right handed shot?

1014302_10151692724745783_221448013_n.jpg

:handclap:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
we may actually have a competent PP this season. Or at least something approaching that.

The last decade-ish of history makes me chuckle at this.

By my quick look, we have had a bottom 1/3rd of the league power play in each of the last 10 seasons save for one. 2007-2008. It really is amazing that this problem can span multiple coaches and rosters.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Brad Boyes is out there. Former 40 goal man, his two best seasons he scored 16 and 11 PPGs. Right handed shot. I'd expect Brown to lobby heavily to spend on such a player, or acquire one in trade. Banking on Chris Brown to turn into such a threat isn't a great idea, even though it needs to be attempted for the sake of everyone involved. Tired of seeing talent wasted on garbage minutes. Paging Mr. Rundblad...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The last decade-ish of history makes me chuckle at this.

By my quick look, we have had a bottom 1/3rd of the league power play in each of the last 10 seasons save for one. 2007-2008. It really is amazing that this problem can span multiple coaches and rosters.

8 of the last 10 (19th in 2005-2006), but your point stands.

It's hard to say this is purely an issue of player talent. To pick some particular examples: Florida has been in the top 10 PP% the past two seasons, and Calgary was top 10 two of the last three seasons. Toronto went from dead last in 2009-2010 to 10th and 14th the last two seasons.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
That's great and all, but he is already full price at $5.7 million. There's attitude concerns there, and crap like the stomping that just won't fly in the room here. His value in trade is not what you'd normally associate with a 30 goal scoring 21 year old. The price is more than what was suggested, but not as high as you'd think.

That's his cap hit, his actual salary for this new season would be $4.3 Mil. The whole premise is Gormley and Jagr vs Skinner before Jagr signs elsewhere And the 'Canes would probably save some cap with that scenario. If you look beyond the true value of Gormley vs Skinner and to what it would mean to the chances of the 'Canes returning to the post season, it makes sense. IMO, it would be worth it for the 'Yotes to "sweeten the pot" to make that scenario happen.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
8 of the last 10 (19th in 2005-2006), but your point stands.

It's hard to say this is purely an issue of player talent. To pick some particular examples: Florida has been in the top 10 PP% the past two seasons, and Calgary was top 10 two of the last three seasons. Toronto went from dead last in 2009-2010 to 10th and 14th the last two seasons.

IMO, it's about priorities on a limited budget. It's like comparing what is more important, a pk vs pp. It seems a great pk unit is a lot cheaper than a good power play. And if you can put together a team full of pk kinda guys, hopefully they can wear the opposition down so they can take advantage of them. I'm not advocating it, just explaining the philosophy. I'm not even saying it's Tippet's style, because he would prefer a better mix and balance from 4 lines. I'm just saying what's more effective on a limited budget...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 15m
Boedker not among players that have elected for salary arbitration. Good sign negotiations are progressing. In fact, no #Coyotes filed.

Good thing Boeds isn't thinking Arby's. Nasty process. Hate to see such an affable Dane come out the other side bitter at the Coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad