2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Continue.

:), I wasn't referring to you but to the others who think he's "broken fruit" or not capable of being a first line forward.

I've liked Connolly quite a bit since his draft year. But we need a player that can step in next season, play on the 1st line, and score 70 points. To my knowledge he's not ready to do that. We pretty much need guaranteed points, not a player who could hit that mark if given the opportunity.

:laugh: gladly will because apparently getting 62 points in 71 AHL games as a rookie makes you "broken fruit". :shakehead

I think Stone for Connolly is probably the best basis for a move between our teams. I would be willing to add maybe a 3rd or a 4th, but it wouldn't be much more than that.

His freakishly small hand is one concern.

Connelly is a very good prospect. As are a few of our own. Some of which we (and our scouting staff) rank ahead of Connelly.

IMO we are looking to move Yandle or Rundblad. We unfortunately can't take on much in terms of salary so that limits our enthusiasm for players like Purcell or Malone if we were going to move the more likely asset in Yandle (and even then I would want more to be honest). Really until we know if the organization is moving and/or potential impact to our budget I'm not sure we can really do anything for a couple more days.

I've only seen him play internationally. He's a good prospect. I don't want to take anything away from Connolly. That's not my intent.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
His freakishly small hand is one concern.

Connelly is a very good prospect. As are a few of our own. Some of which we (and our scouting staff) rank ahead of Connelly.

IMO we are looking to move Yandle or Rundblad. We unfortunately can't take on much in terms of salary so that limits our enthusiasm for players like Purcell or Malone if we were going to move the more likely asset in Yandle (and even then I would want more to be honest). Really until we know if the organization is moving and/or potential impact to our budget I'm not sure we can really do anything for a couple more days.

I definitely understand what you're saying and the cap constraints your organization works under severely limits the returns or possibilities that may be there for trade. On paper, our teams look like good trading partners, but clearly it doesn't translate as well in actual proposals from a fan's standpoint.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz 5m
I lied. One more on the Mike Smith deal from Maloney: "Both sides were not overly happy with the deal so it’s probably fair."

Ugh, that irks me. Maloney's going to get his work cut out for him playing musical chairs just to accommodate that contract. Not saying that he can't make it work, but things could've been so much more straightforward...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ugh, that irks me. Maloney's going to get his work cut out for him playing musical chairs just to accommodate that contract. Not saying that he can't make it work, but things could've been so much more straightforward...

Unless, you know, your whole point is made irrelevant in 48 hours. Just saying. No chairs need to be moved if the budget goes to $60m. Quite the opposite.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
In response to IPreferPi from the previous thread, I'm sure there's something that can be worked out in a deal between Connolly for Stone plus a pick. We'd likely push for a 2nd, but I could see us settling for a 3rd.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
One of the nice things about the roster is that we should be set up to take full advantage of the 'trading' deadline.

We've got Michalek, Klesla and DeMo who could be targeted to be moved and at the deadline, teams are always willing to trade for that last piece to help them, and the Coyotes could be right there to give them that piece and then fill in that piece with Rundblad and Gormley.

Michalek probably fetches a 1st at the deadline and Klesla or DeMo would return a 2nd at worst.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but McLellan tweeted this:

"Maloney said they had a few trades in the works today but nothing materialized. Could still happen this week."

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I like Vladislav Namestnikov a great deal.

Am not sure how our fans would feel about trading him, especially after we just bought out Vinny but personally, I'd trade him for Stone straight up.

However, from management's perspective it could be more of an issue since we're fairly light at center after Stamkos and TJ.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
One of the nice things about the roster is that we should be set up to take full advantage of the 'trading' deadline.

We've got Michalek, Klesla and DeMo who could be targeted to be moved and at the deadline, teams are always willing to trade for that last piece to help them, and the Coyotes could be right there to give them that piece and then fill in that piece with Rundblad and Gormley.

Michalek probably fetches a 1st at the deadline and Klesla or DeMo would return a 2nd at worst.
You might get a better return at the deadline, but if Gormley and Rundblad are ready to roll by October, I want both of them in the lineup opening night. Gormley being the #7 or in Portland waiting for a trade has no appeal whatsoever.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Something has to give. There are too many D that need NHL minutes on the roster right now. The psyche of this team is also fragile. Sending them on their way with a patchwork roster that is worse than last year, somehow, is a recipe for disaster. But then so would potentially trading away one of your big leaders like Doan or Yandle.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That's the nice thing, whenever Gormley and/or Rundblad are ready, they can play...doesn't mean that Klesla, Michalek or DeMo are worth any less.

...and let's face it, with the way last year went, we're probably likely to have at least 1 injury on the back end.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Habs were in on yesterday's discussions for Alex Edler.

So they're looking for an offensive D. Would you guys do Yandle for Plekanec?

Plekanec has three years on his contract, each at $5 mil. He's 30 and another Czech for our team. In the last four seasons, he's scored 33 points (47 games), 52 points, 57 points, and 70 points.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Personally, no, though he'd be a great Tippett player. Yandle's transitional game is worth more to the offense than Plek would be, imo. Would I consider a deal with Plekanec and another large piece, yes, but there is no way the Habs would do that.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Plek is an excellent 2C. But I wouldn't trade Yandle for him. Would rather try to somehow package Vermette + Klesla/Morris for him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like Toronto won't re-sign Clarke MacArthur. Could be an option for us.

I also really like Michael Ryder as a free agent.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ack, I'm going to hold off from further attempts at Moneypucking as I simply don't know which of our high-salary pieces are being shopped, or our budget. Also don't know which RFAs will be qualified to one-way deals, since apparently almost all of them are going to be qualified.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Reports here in Toronto that Tyler Bozak is looking for 8 years at 5 mil per. Good luck to him!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The Habs were in on yesterday's discussions for Alex Edler.

So they're looking for an offensive D. Would you guys do Yandle for Plekanec?

Plekanec has three years on his contract, each at $5 mil. He's 30 and another Czech for our team. In the last four seasons, he's scored 33 points (47 games), 52 points, 57 points, and 70 points.

No. I wouldn't even consider Plekanec for Yandle.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Poor Keith Ballard, put on waivers by Vancouver today. Obviously just interested in clearing cap space for him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Just a rumor but I've heard Hendricks has asked for around 2.5 million from Washington (which is why he'll be a free agent even though Washington loved him).

Rumor found in Caps fans comments: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-hendricks-prepared-to-hit-free-agent-market/

I think it's safe to say that re-signing Chipchura is a good bet to be our 4th line center.

Crazy if true. At least the Gaustad contract can be rationalizible because he's an elite defensive forward. Hendricks is a very good 4th line center, but he's not elite in anything and certainly doesn't produce offensively to be worth above $1M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad