2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
Any comments from the game? Again, we had to rely only on twitter for updates. Pickard gets a 2-0 shutout with Olver and Laurisden getting the goals. Sounds like Siemens and Elliott are paired up. I'm thinking this might be a fun team to follow this season.

Sorry did not see your question. -Elliott play good got a nice shot off on a PP, smart with puck.
-Siemens didn't do much offensively but was good defensively.
-laurisden had a nice goal on a PP read the play well.
-Pickard was great so calm in net definetly deservered the shutout.
- olver was the best player on the ice.
- didn't notice smith to much

All in all it was a good game it just could have used a fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is there no local reporter covering this team?

Plagens works for the team so there's only so much he's going to say. He's not going to tell us anything we can't just look up ourselves.

member 116861

I thought I would have the replay of yesterdays game but I guess I don't. It doesn't seem like I missed much though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What are the lines in LE? I'm pretty annoyed Elliott and Siemens aren't a pairing.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Elliott picking up a goal and an assist in the first period. Both came on the powerplay. Sure hope he can finally get his offensive game going in the A.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Elliott picking up a goal and an assist in the first period. Both came on the powerplay. Sure hope he can finally get his offensive game going in the A.

At 22, it's time for him to start showing he wants to be the kind of player he have the potential to be. No excuses.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
At 22, it's time for him to start showing he wants to be the kind of player he have the potential to be. No excuses.

Absolutely, and I think living up to his offensive potential would be the first and most important step to give him the self-confidence he needs in order to improve his overall game.

2-2 after two periods. Elliott -2 :(

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Elliott adds another one, this time on even strength. Makes it 3-2 with less than 10 minutes to go.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
So 4 points in 2 games for Elliott and 2 goals for Brad Malone. Good starts for both guys pointwise though both are minus. Hopefully they keep producing and make the improvements they need to make the team next year.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm annoyed that Chynoweth is still coaching the team. I don't think he's a good coach, especially when it comes to developing players.

Should have re-hired Sacco back there.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm annoyed that Chynoweth is still coaching the team. I don't think he's a good coach, especially when it comes to developing players.

Yeah I really don't like Chynoweth. I wonder how long his contract is.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
Few random thoughts from today's game:

Brad Malone was a stud. Tremendous in all three zones, played in all situations, and stood up for his teammates in the first period with a scrap. Won the scrap too. He was outstanding in every facet of the game. Very involved. Can't imagine he'll be in Cleveland very long.

Stefan Elliott looked great offensively. He didn't get game-winner, it deflected in off an Abbotsford defender's stick, so it should be Lerg's. Most of Elliott's passes were on the tape, his goal was a perfect shot low gloveside. Struggled with Abbotsford's physicality in the corners, but most LEM defenders did.

Stollery looked weak tonight. Got handled in the corners numerous times. He wasn't bad, per se, but he had some difficulty with the physical nature of the game.

Garrett Meurs had one tremendous shift on the forecheck, but also committed a brutal penalty late in the game to give Abbotsford a chance.

Mitch Heard has some maturing to do. He was close to taking several retaliatory penalties from Abbotsford's chirping. Mostly, the players congregated and he was able to get out before a penalty was called, but he needs to learn to pick and choose his spots.

Thought Pickard was great tonight. Very sound positionally and made a phenomenal glove save with three seconds left to preserve the win. Puck was behind him when he caught it. I didn't go to Friday night's game, so I can't comment on Aittokallio, but Pickard looked strong. Let in a very cheap shortside goal to open the game. Second goal was a great passing play by Abbotsford and Pickard had no chance.

Lerg and Carey were both a big help tonight. Carey was all over the ice. Strong effort.

The Monsters certainly lack forward talent and finishers. Agozzino wasn't noticeable. The Monsters didn't generate many quality chances. But, they sold out in the defensive zone, blocked a lot of shots, and did a pretty good job of moving the puck around on the powerplay.

Mikael Tam is a pain in the ass. He was constantly shoving, chopping, and chirping after the whistle. I think he'll draw some cheap powerplays for the Monsters this season. He's an interesting player. Doesn't have a NHL ceiling by any means, but he's a nice guy for an AHL team to have.

Siemens didn't impress me at all. He played a rather timid game. Didn't show much confidence in any of the zones. I'm sure it's just a transitional phase, but not much to write home about. To me, his foot speed looked slow when trying to contain cycling forwards. Also took him a few too many strides to get up to top speed when carrying the puck in. I'll keep a close eye on him throughout the season to see how he develops.

Olver floated most of the night. Came out really motivated on his first shift of the third, but that was about the only flash.

Saw somebody ask about lines. I tried to write them down mentally, but I can't really remember. Believe Sgarbossa was with Carey and Lerg. Stollery was with Elliott most of the night, but I think the D pairings were changing a bit throughout the game. I think Chynoweth is still looking for some chemistry.

Hope to contribute to this thread throughout the season when I get a chance to go the games. Obviously observations one game at a time can be taken with a grain of salt, but I don't mind giving some thoughts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the report, much appreciated. Any thoughts on Smith? He's one I'm really interested to hear about his development in Lake Erie. I listened to some of the game on radio tonight. Plegans was calling Agozzino's name a lot on defense, Pickard stood on his head particularly in the third and the Monsters take way too many penalties were my takeaways.

member 116861

I missed this game as well and I won't be able to watch it on replay either. Stupid Hockey Streams and their glitch.

:rant:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Brad Malone taking Patrick's words to heart and making sure he earns a spot on this team sooner rather than later. Love it. Kid's such a smart player and hard worker.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Please keep up the reports, we'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. If you could write down the lines next time I would appreciate it, I'm curious to see who is with who.

Looking at the roster, I'd probably do something like this.
http://www.lakeeriemonsters.com/team/

Agozzino - Sgarbossa - VdG
Olver - Malone - Lerg
Hishon - Smith - Wyman
Carey - Heard - Meurs

Siemens - Elliott
Beaupre - Lauridsen
Tam - Stollery

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
I'll try to keep an eye on Smith next time I go. I'll also text myself the lines and pairings so I can pass them along.

Lonewolfe, VDG and Hishon weren't in the lineup last night. Not sure who sits when they come back. But Desbiens is a guy you don't have listed who will definitely be in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad