Injury Report: 2013-2014 Injury News/Discussion (11/9: Nash skates, Pyatt concussed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
lol, you don't think the opposing coach wouldn't notice the "Nash" on the back of a Ranger jersey and adjust accordingly, or do opposing coaches just number the lines and throw defensemen on the ice? Not to sure I understand the issue here... Nash was brought here to be our offensive stud, offensive studs are typically on the top line, adjust the rest accordingly, just the way it is. Hopefully the chemistry continues to grow..

well if an opposing coach focuses on nash then step kreider and zucc will have a field day

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Any guesses on when Nash is back approximately? If he's already practicing I'm guessing 1-2 weeks?

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Any guesses on when Nash is back approximately? If he's already practicing I'm guessing 1-2 weeks?

Despite what certain people on here and their "sources" say, it really all depends on how nash reacts to the skating/practices. He's been symptom free for a few days now but probably has not gone through any contact drills yet.

You'd assume he'd need at least another week or 2 to get his conditioning up assuming there are no other setbacks in terms of his symptoms returning

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah there's still really no certain time table. If he can keep skating every day with no setbacks and get his conditioning back into shape, then were still probably looking at a couple of weeks at this point I think. He's not practicing with the team yet even so I wouldn't think that he's just around the corner or anything

Most important thing is that he can keep skating every day without any problems.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Good news that he's skating again today.

Also, there's no doubt this long recovery has everything to do with how concussions are handled in the modern game. Do you think players ever sat out because of headaches in the 70s-80s?

This is good for the players though. You can't mess around with head injuries.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
well if an opposing coach focuses on nash then step kreider and zucc will have a field day

We can hope.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just saying... Regardless of what "happened" (past tense) on the ice during his absence, when Rick Nash is healthy enough to play again, he will be your top line workhorse.. Not a third line toss in to even out the lines... I think he's been gone so long some of us have forgotten who Rick Nash is and what he brings to the table.. If one of things he brings is giving other offensive lines a better match up on the ice, heck, even better..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
lol, you don't think the opposing coach wouldn't notice the "Nash" on the back of a Ranger jersey and adjust accordingly, or do opposing coaches just number the lines and throw defensemen on the ice? Not to sure I understand the issue here... Nash was brought here to be our offensive stud, offensive studs are typically on the top line, adjust the rest accordingly, just the way it is. Hopefully the chemistry continues to grow..

The beauty is that we have 2 other good lines. One good line will end up getting the other team's worst D-men.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd go

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan MZA
Boyle Brassard Callahan
Pouliot Moore Dorsett

And before anyone freaks out cally will get his mins regardless. He plays pp and pk and is always on the ice in important spots. If he slots on 3rd line at even strength it's not the end of the world.

And if/when MZA slips they can flip flop lot of depth there

Really would like to get another winger because I rather Boyle be the 4th C but we've got time

I'd guess barring a set back he's prob 10-14 days away

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Not sure why you'd put your best passer and best finisher on separate lines.. Other than to avoid breaking up said lines... If I'm the coach, I play Stepan with Nash and Kreider and see how it progresses.. If that doesn't take shape, tweak as you go.. But again, that's just me...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure why you'd put your best passer and best finisher on separate lines.. Other than to avoid breaking up said lines... If I'm the coach, I play Stepan with Nash and Kreider and see how it progresses.. If that doesn't take shape, tweak as you go.. But again, that's just me...

Brassard is a very good passer too. You don't need to have your 3 best players on the 1st line. Sometimes you want to balance your lineup. Especially since the Stepan line has been awesome. If it ain't broke...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The beauty is that we have 2 other good lines. One good line will end up getting the other team's worst D-men.

This and if the other two lines are clicking like they have been why not put Nash with Brassard, maybe they get Poulliot going and the 4th line strength means thatother deepteams wont run us out of the building. Miller needs AHL minutes but its a testament to him that at least he can hold his own in the bigs at 20.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Kreider - Stepan - Nash

Hagelin - Richards - Callahan

Boyle - Brassard - Zuc

That isn't to shabby... Either way, I think we agree it's a good position to be in with a guy like Nash getting back in the lineup :)

BarbaraAlphanse

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

Boyle - Brassard - Zuc

That isn't to shabby... Either way, I think we agree it's a good position to be in with a guy like Nash getting back in the lineup :)

Don't change something that works.

Richards + Nash actually worked out this year for the short period they were both healthy.

Nash + Hagelin work.

Keep Kreider-Stepan-Zucc line in tact. It's been our best line in a while.

Keep Miller up to learn with Cally.

Finally assemble that 4th line we all think will be unreal (as a 4th line).

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Don't change something that works.

Richards + Nash actually worked out this year for the short period they were both healthy.

Nash + Hagelin work.

Keep Kreider-Stepan-Zucc line in tact. It's been our best line in a while.

Keep Miller up to learn with Cally.

Finally assemble that 4th line we all think will be unreal (as a 4th line).

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

This. Right here. And no Pyatt! Well done.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stepan tends to play his best when he can play with cyclers...Nash works best when he's the guy with the puck on his stick...ideally youd have him with a guy like Richards....but Richards is playing well with Hagelin and cally, tough to break up the top 6 when theyre playing well.

RangersChamps2417

May 9, 2011
Northern NJ
I think it should go like:

Hags-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Pouliot-Brassard-Cally
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Miller needs to play top 6 minutes in the AHL. He's only 20. He'll play a huge role next season, as I expect Richards will need to be bought out for cap reasons. Pouliot, while he has been bad lately, can't play on the 4th line. He has some skill, and maybe playing with Cally can allow him to relax a bit and open up his game.

The Kreids-Step-Zuc line is maybe the best line I've seen together since I began watching games consistently (which is the 05-06 season). I love how physical they are, and they're amazing on the forecheck.

I love the depth on this team though with Nash back. I think we got a shot in the East if we can stay healthy. The Pens and Bruins aren't unbeatable, and teams like Detriot, Ottawa and the Caps have had their struggles. We gotta just keep it up and I think we'll be at the top of the conference by April, with a good chance to take it all

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
The Kreids-Step-Zuc line is maybe the best line I've seen together since I began watching games consistently (which is the 05-06 season). I love how physical they are, and they're amazing on the forecheck.

Remember the play station line with Voros - Dubi - Zherdev in 08-09 for 10 games? Or the Straka - Nylander - Jagr line in 05-06? Or the Pack line? The thing with all of those lines is at some point, they have all been broken up. And I loved all of those lines, although Voros we all should have seen that coming.

I'm not saying break up any units just yet, but eventually, when the play is stale, and the Rangers go on a mini-losing streak, there will be changes especially if Nash comes back.

If everything is working leave everything and put Nash with Brassard and Pouliot and see how it works. Worst case - they suck and you change it up. Best case - they get better match ups from the top two lines being guarded by the other teams top 4.

Ideally, chemistry not included

Krieder - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

But then again,that's discounting chemistry. AV has to keep what's working now until a losing streak happens.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
:help:

Why is Brassard an offensive player playing on the 4th line, much less over Miller who hasn't shown much offensively. That makes zero sense.

I don't look at it as rank, but just having 4 lines that can finally be rolled. 4 lines, 6 D. The Rangers in 11-12 were 3 lines, and 5 D deep and that was what ultimately cost the team against the Devils.

I'd like to see Miller be given a chance to be molded into a David Backes, Ryan Kesler type two way center that can elevate Cally's game and the teams by being a number 1 checking option.

Now this may very well be too soon, but if Callahan is on the top checking unit, that frees up all the skill players from having to play hard d-zone minutes, leading to mismatches on several shifts per game, rather than just off of icings.

As far as Pouliot-Brassard-Dorsett. I think playing the softest perimeter players on your team with some grit will help them drive pucks and bodies to the net. Dorsett will drop em with anyone, so being afraid of contact can't be an excuse for top ten draft disappointments out of Quebec.

Besides Pouliot-Brassard-Dorsett has been a favorable match up the last few games against team's bottom 6, really advantageous to have guys that can make plays with the puck versus guys that can't from the last two games so far.

The reason why I stay away from Pouliot-Brassard-Callahan is because there is no way am I going to count on Pouliot or Brassard to go up against teams' top lines. Pouliot takes penalty after penalty after losing his one on one battles, and both he and Brassard turn it over when feeling pressured. Recipe for disaster against the best skaters on the opposition.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
So you throw in a wild card on the first line? Nash is a better player than Zucc, but you don't know if the chemistry will be the same. So you may be hurting the first line. Then you basically put no scorers on the 3rd line. We have the luxury of 2 good lines and putting Rick "Canadian Olympian" Nash on the 3rd line and people are trying to reinvent the wheel.

I think you have to try it. Getting our presumably best scoring with our best center should help the team. If it doesn't work out, you revert to the old lines, but I think it's something you need to try.

The lack of scorers on the third line could be an issue, but they should be able to dominate play and keep the puck in the offensive zone. Also, Poo's shot is looking better.

It leaves you with two very good scoring lines and a third line very capable of keeping the puck and being an offensive threat. I don's see how you don't give it a go.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think you have to try it. Getting our presumably best scoring with our best center should help the team. If it doesn't work out, you revert to the old lines, but I think it's something you need to try.

The lack of scorers on the third line could be an issue, but they should be able to dominate play and keep the puck in the offensive zone. Also, Poo's shot is looking better.

It leaves you with two very good scoring lines and a third line very capable of keeping the puck and being an offensive threat. I don's see how you don't give it a go.

Or we can have 3 very good scoring lines.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Or we can have 3 very good scoring lines.

By playing our best scorer on the third line. With players who are not performing good enough to be in the top six. With - as you say - no guarantee of chemistry.

I think that would lead to us seeing too many games with Rick Nash playing like his worst days in CBJ and last year in NY, where he won't trust his linemates to do anything, and just skate with the puck and try to do everything himself. Rick Nash works best when he can play with capable linemates who help him create the play, not linemates who depend on him to do everything.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
By playing our best scorer on the third line. With players who are not performing good enough to be in the top six. With - as you say - no guarantee of chemistry.

I think that would lead to us seeing too many games with Rick Nash playing like his worst days in CBJ and last year in NY, where he won't trust his linemates to do anything, and just skate with the puck and try to do everything himself. Rick Nash works best when he can play with capable linemates who help him create the play, not linemates who depend on him to do everything.

Brassard will be fine in that role most likely. He hasn't been great but look at his linemates. He's not Crosby, he needs good linemates.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Brassard will be fine in that role most likely. He hasn't been great but look at his linemates. He's not Crosby, he needs good linemates.
Brassard did have that role at times in CBJ, and that often led to the Rick Nash I mentioned earllier. Brass has been pretty bad this year, even when playing on the top line.

The only time he's looke decent is when playing with Zuccarello and Pouliot. I think playing Nash with Stepan and Zucc with Brass makes sense and optimizes the output from our players, even if it does leave our third line without anyone to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad