Speculation: 2013-14 Trade rumors and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
You'd give up a 1st or the 3 extra years of developing Panik for him? He's a good prospect but not worth that yet at all. We have our own RD who's a big smooth skater in Blujus who's finally turning it around this year.

I don't want to trade a 1st for MacDonald so I definitely don't want to for a prospect a few years away.

Panik is about to get passed on the depth chart by Namestnikov, Connolly, Drouin, and Paquette in my opinion, so he can be traded. There isn't room for everyone. Yes, I have Severson rated higher than Blujus, Sergeev, and Dotchin.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Would anybody be interested in getting Erik Cole after trading Malone? I don't see much of Cole, but he looks to be an upgrade over Malone? :dunno: Another interesting target who might have entered the market - Markov?

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Panik is about to get passed on the depth chart by Namestnikov, Connolly, Drouin, and Paquette in my opinion, so he can be traded. There isn't room for everyone. Yes, I have Severson rated higher than Blujus, Sergeev, and Dotchin.

The only one of those players that play the same position as Panik is Connolly and right now they're a out even. They both have more upside then Brown who'd I'd prefer to move first.

I think Severson is on par with Blujus. Severson has been playing on one of the best WHL teams so his numbers have been impressive but might be the result of the team around him. Both are offense first guys who've made good strides on the defensive side, there isn't much difference between them so rather give our guy the look.

Dotchin can be a wild card for us, he might turn out to be another Gudas. Both physical defensive first guys with some offense. Dotchin has more size then Gudas, if he stays on the same path he's going now he can be a solid third pair player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Would anybody be interested in getting Erik Cole after trading Malone? I don't see much of Cole, but he looks to be an upgrade over Malone? :dunno: Another interesting target who might have entered the market - Markov?

So when are we trading Malone? Everybody hopes for that but reality is we are more then likely stuck with him till the off-season. Cole is slowing down big time from years past so not too interested plus he's a RW which we definitely don't need. Markov wwould be a good addition but the price will most likely be too high and not sure Montreal is in a selling mode yet.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
So when are we trading Malone? Everybody hopes for that but reality is we are more then likely stuck with him till the off-season. Cole is slowing down big time from years past so not too interested plus he's a RW which we definitely don't need. Markov wwould be a good addition but the price will most likely be too high and not sure Montreal is in a selling mode yet.

If we can't trade him, then we wouldn't go after Cole. But if we do trade Malone, would Cole be a good replacement? And if no, then who would be putting there?

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
The only one of those players that play the same position as Panik is Connolly and right now they're a out even. They both have more upside then Brown who'd I'd prefer to move first.

I think Severson is on par with Blujus. Severson has been playing on one of the best WHL teams so his numbers have been impressive but might be the result of the team around him. Both are offense first guys who've made good strides on the defensive side, there isn't much difference between them so rather give our guy the look.

Dotchin can be a wild card for us, he might turn out to be another Gudas. Both physical defensive first guys with some offense. Dotchin has more size then Gudas, if he stays on the same path he's going now he can be a solid third pair player.

Centers have no difficulty switching to wing. Brown likely doesn't have much trade value at the moment. Although he has the potential to be more, he is currently a small, fast, 2way F who has trouble finishing, it's not hard to find those players, so they don't have much value. Panik and Severson were both 2nd rd. picks with good size and potential, so roughly fair value. Blujus and Dotchin might be late bloomers, Witkowski also, it'll be great for us if they are, but I still think Severson would be a good pick up. RD is a soft spot for the org. New Jersey has several other good young defenders to consider also. Drafting good Dmen seems to be NJs specialty.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Centers have no difficulty switching to wing. Brown likely doesn't have much trade value at the moment. Although he has the potential to be more, he is currently a small, fast, 2way F who has trouble finishing, it's not hard to find those players, so they don't have much value. Panik and Severson were both 2nd rd. picks with good size and potential, so roughly fair value. Blujus and Dotchin might be late bloomers, Witkowski also, it'll be great for us if they are, but I still think Severson would be a good pick up. RD is a soft spot for the org. New Jersey has several other good young defenders to consider also. Drafting good Dmen seems to be NJs specialty.

I know centers can switch to wing but I haven't seen Namestnikov play wing in the past few seasons. He's also a lefty so mkre then likely a LW and not a RW like Panik. Brown has some value cause he's shown a good two way game but if we move him it'll be in a package for a bigger piece.

Yes they both are 2nd round picks but Panik is a few years ahead in development and made it to the NHL already so his value is higher. Blujus isn't a late bloomer like Dotchin or Witkowski, he was drafted ahead of Severson in the same draft. He's just not taken off as expected but has been much better lately. RD isn't really any issue in our system, a top pair RD is. We have Gudas/Sustr as middle pair, Blujus projected as middle pair, Sergeev/Witkowski/Dotchin bottom pair. We also need to sign Blujus and Dotchin so if we don't trade either then we really can't add 3 RHD to Syracuse when we already have 3 on the roster for next year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we can't trade him, then we wouldn't go after Cole. But if we do trade Malone, would Cole be a good replacement? And if no, then who would be putting there?

I really can't see Malone being moved, he still has a limited NTC so the teams he would be willing to go to most likely can't afford him. I'm not a fan of Cole anymore, just don't think he has much left to offer us.

Not sure who's available and what the price would be. We are doing fine as a team now and when Stamkos is back we'll be stronger so bringing in a bottom 6 forward isn't a big need IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Everything I've heard about Cole says his footspeed is a huge issue at this stage. So he would probably find himself as awkward a fit as Malone.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
I know centers can switch to wing but I haven't seen Namestnikov play wing in the past few seasons. He's also a lefty so mkre then likely a LW and not a RW like Panik. Brown has some value cause he's shown a good two way game but if we move him it'll be in a package for a bigger piece.

Yes they both are 2nd round picks but Panik is a few years ahead in development and made it to the NHL already so his value is higher. Blujus isn't a late bloomer like Dotchin or Witkowski, he was drafted ahead of Severson in the same draft. He's just not taken off as expected but has been much better lately. RD isn't really any issue in our system, a top pair RD is. We have Gudas/Sustr as middle pair, Blujus projected as middle pair, Sergeev/Witkowski/Dotchin bottom pair. We also need to sign Blujus and Dotchin so if we don't trade either then we really can't add 3 RHD to Syracuse when we already have 3 on the roster for next year.

The weakest one goes to the ECHL, they will sort themselves out in a year or so. Value is whatever another GM is willing to pay, unknown really until we talk to them. You're not going to convince me that adding a good player to a position we are a bit weak at isn't a good thing. You could say Yzerman would rather trade for a Dman with some NHL XP so he can plug him directly into the lineup, that would be an argument I could agree on. Connolly for Adam Larsson perhaps.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The weakest one goes to the ECHL, they will sort themselves out in a year or so. Value is whatever another GM is willing to pay, unknown really until we talk to them. You're not going to convince me that adding a good player to a position we are a bit weak at isn't a good thing. You could say Yzerman would rather trade for a Dman with some NHL XP so he can plug him directly into the lineup, that would be an argument I could agree on. Connolly for Adam Larsson perhaps.

I just explained that we aren't weak at RD. His skillset is similar to Sergeev and Blujus so he doesn't bring anything different. We need scoring forwards in Syracuse more then we need more D, trading one of our best for something redundant isn't the way to go.

I like Severson but until we move out a couple of D we makes no sense to get another prospect one. I agree with you about moving out Connolly or Panik for a Larsson type makes more sense.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
No rentals, no aging vets. We're not really at that point.

If its mostly guys over 30, I wouldn't expect us to do much.

Agreed. I don't see the need to give away our potential future core for a 30-something rental. This is really our first competitive year, it's ok if we aren't Cup favorites right right away. If it's trading for a 30+ rental, I want no part of it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
my wish list for NJ would go Larsson Merrill Santini than Severson I love Santini think he will be a total beast shut down in time.

Larsson and Merrill bring better all around games than Severson to me. I cant see giving up a good high prospect for Severson maybe he improves but im not that impressed myself. Probably cause of the others ahead of him?

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
I just explained that we aren't weak at RD. His skillset is similar to Sergeev and Blujus so he doesn't bring anything different. We need scoring forwards in Syracuse more then we need more D, trading one of our best for something redundant isn't the way to go.

I like Severson but until we move out a couple of D we makes no sense to get another prospect one. I agree with you about moving out Connolly or Panik for a Larsson type makes more sense.

Having bodies at a position doesn't mean we are strong at that position. Our RD prospects might turn out to be great, but I don't think many people would call them blue chippers, so it would be a long shot. I've already posted I have Severson rated higher than our RD prospects, so I don't consider them to be the same thing. Syracuse has Ikonen, Vermin, Suri, and maybe Gusev incoming as scoring forwards.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
my wish list for NJ would go Larsson Merrill Santini than Severson I love Santini think he will be a total beast shut down in time.

Larsson and Merrill bring better all around games than Severson to me. I cant see giving up a good high prospect for Severson maybe he improves but im not that impressed myself. Probably cause of the others ahead of him?

I like Santini a lot, I even posted him on my draft wishlist here at the time. The Bolts passed on him in favor of Erne, probably because they thought Santini didn't have enough offensive potential. If we pick him up, I'm not going to complain about it, I still like him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The one vet I'd make a light push for is Markov, only if we had some indication that he would sign, or there was something conditioned into the deal on him signing. I wouldn't like him as a rental, but I think he could be a huge boost to our PP and be something of a mentor for Hedman for a few years. If he were available as a FA, I'd go after him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Having bodies at a position doesn't mean we are strong at that position. Our RD prospects might turn out to be great, but I don't think many people would call them blue chippers, so it would be a long shot. I've already posted I have Severson rated higher than our RD prospects, so I don't consider them to be the same thing. Syracuse has Ikonen, Vermin, Suri, and maybe Gusev incoming as scoring forwards.

Gusev will not be coming over for Syracuse, its NHL or bust. Syracuse should have about five guys coming in post-juniors.

Santini was fantastic and i'd have loved to take him, but Erne fell to us, simple as that.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I disagree with the notion that we aren't at the right point for a rental and/or a vet. I don't think we need to be a cup favorite to add the right piece at the deadline, and if it so happens that that piece is over 30 or an impending UFA...so be it.

It's way too important that our youthful core make the playoffs. It's nearly as important that they improve their chances of making it out of the first round. They need the successful foundation to build upon. They need the support, belief, and confidence that management acknowledges the efforts they've put into succeeding this year and is doing everything they are able to capitalize on that success. The kids have earned it. Even if they don't make the conference or cup finals, it would be worth sacrificing a little of our depth to gain the ever valuable experience this team needs to take the next step.

I am not advocating shipping big chunks of youth out for near-retirees with little left in the tank. I'm not saying we need to move our best and brightest kids out for one glorious run. I just think there is a solid middle ground to be found that sees us move a prospect or pick for the right piece to solidify our standing and gives us a decent chance to do some legitimate damage in the playoffs.

Pissing an opportunity away because you don't think the kids are ready to move forward when all they've shown is how ready, willing, and able they are would be a foolish waste of their efforts to date.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I disagree with the notion that we aren't at the right point for a rental and/or a vet. I don't think we need to be a cup favorite to add the right piece at the deadline, and if it so happens that that piece is over 30 or an impending UFA...so be it.

It's way too important that our youthful core make the playoffs. It's nearly as important that they improve their chances of making it out of the first round. They need the successful foundation to build upon. They need the support, belief, and confidence that management acknowledges the efforts they've put into succeeding this year and is doing everything they are able to capitalize on that success. The kids have earned it. Even if they don't make the conference or cup finals, it would be worth sacrificing a little of our depth to gain the ever valuable experience this team needs to take the next step.

I am not advocating shipping big chunks of youth out for near-retirees with little left in the tank. I'm not saying we need to move our best and brightest kids out for one glorious run. I just think there is a solid middle ground to be found that sees us move a prospect or pick for the right piece to solidify our standing and gives us a decent chance to do some legitimate damage in the playoffs.

Pissing an opportunity away because you don't think the kids are ready to move forward when all they've shown is how ready, willing, and able they are would be a foolish waste of their efforts to date.

I honestly think that if we do make a deal, it will be us going after a guy like Larsson. Someone who can grow with the young core we have in tact and would be a future pair with Hedman for the next decade. Your right this young team we have do deserve to make the playoffs and reap their rewards, which is precisely why we are where we are in the standings. I have confidence with this team going forward, trading away even one of those kids for an aging veteran might actually send the wrong message.

I do agree full heartedly however that the Olympic break will do us a world of good. When we are back, Stamkos should be ready to go and hopefully Bishop. After that, then this team is going to be even funnier to watch.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, JT Brown, Nikita Kucherov, BJ Crombeen, Radko Gudas, Mark Barberio and Ben Bishop.

That's the list of players on out team that haven't been to a Stanley cup or conference final. The notion we need veteran experience is wrong, we are in a funk and need Stamkos back in a big way. Our least experienced player is Bishop, that's what everyone should be worried about.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, JT Brown, Nikita Kucherov, BJ Crombeen, Radko Gudas, Mark Barberio and Ben Bishop.

That's the list of players on out team that haven't been to a Stanley cup or conference final. The notion we need veteran experience is wrong, we are in a funk and need Stamkos back in a big way. Our least experienced player is Bishop, that's what everyone should be worried about.

Look at the year we won the cup it was the same, I remember how everyone talked that Bulin wasn't good in playoffs and had no experience in a deep run etc

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Look at the year we won the cup it was the same, I remember how everyone talked that Bulin wasn't good in playoffs and had no experience in a deep run etc

Bulin had played in 34 playoff games prior to the cup run, Bishop has played in one AHL playoff game so far in his career. Lindback has more NHL playoff experience then him.

I don't think we should get a vet goalie to challenge him, I just think the team will go as far as he takes us. Picking up a vet D or forward isn't going to change much.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Bieksa, but i'd almost prefer someone under 29 if we're giving up youth. Someone who is sticking around for a while and preferably cost controlled for a year or two. I'd work hard for a deal around David Rundblad out of Phoenix - 23, two way play similar to Koekkoek, this year and next before becoming an RFA, PHX has a need for scoring, and Rundblad can be somewhat sheltered for a little bit. At this point we've committed to youth and I really don't want to divert from that plan.

What would you offer for Rundblad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad