Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Updates: The Start of the Jim Nill Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They all are in French so I'm not going to post, but apparently this streak is a record setting one. Desrosiers hasn't allowed a goal in 213 minutes and 15 seconds which is a team and QMJHL record. Previous record was actually set earlier this year.

Philippe's next game is on Wednesday, 2/19.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Detroit pulled in Alan Quine for 2011-12 as a 19 year old. Did the same thing with Landon Ferraro and Willie Coetzee in 2009-10.

Cole Ully is obviously in the same boat as Elie playing for a cellar dweller.

Texas could have two 19 year old players hanging around in practice.

They also did it with Jakub Kindl. Jiri Fischer played his entire 19 year old season in NHL/AHL; same for Jiri Hudler. These aren't the exact same situations but Detroit has shown that they treated each player differently and did give some guys a shot earlier than some others.

MetalGodAOD*

Pretty amazing for Desrosiers. Really feel like he's going to be a good one.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Three shutouts is really impressive for the Q.

I know it's a high scoring league so I rarely pay attention to the stats. Well that and Dallas almost never had Q players.

Is 5 on the season average or above average. I was shocked when Mark mentioned Desrosiers was 8th overall in GAA at close to 3. That number has gone down because of February btw.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know it's a high scoring league so I rarely pay attention to the stats. Well that and Dallas almost never had Q players.

Is 5 on the season average or above average. I was shocked when Mark mentioned Desrosiers was 8th overall in GAA at close to 3. That number has gone down because of February btw.

He's currently tied for first in the league with 2 others.

Desrosiers: 5 in 42 Games
Cadorette: 5 in 42 Games
Brassard: 5 in 46 Games

Over the past 3 seasons the highest were;

12-13: Bibeau with 5 in 46 Games
11-12: Corbeil with 6 in 48 Games
10-11: Nadeau with 5 in 47 Games

Out of those players, Desrosiers reached 5 as the youngest, followed closely by Cadorette and Bibeau who were older by a few months, the other 4 were done in their 19/20 year old season.

I could only go back 3 seasons on the QMJHL site, so it's a small sample size. But just for what you wanted to know I think it's good enough and shows that he is above average in that aspect. But if you were able to watch the Q you would see that he is a top 5, possibly top 3 goalie in the league despite where he sits in certain statistical categories.

It's not for awhile, but it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to play for Canada at the WJC.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's not for awhile, but it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to play for Canada at the WJC.

He dominated U-18 for them last summer, but I bet it'll be quite difficult for him to pass Zachary Fucale who is the same age. Fucale was their starter this season for the WJC. Maybe he could be the 2nd or 3rd though.

EDIT: LOL ... it's crazy to look at his U-18 numbers ... 0.80GAA and .970 save% over 5 games.

Last edited:

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
He dominated U-18 for them last summer, but I bet it'll be quite difficult for him to pass Zachary Fucale who is the same age. Fucale was their starter this season for the WJC. Maybe he could be the 2nd or 3rd though.

EDIT: LOL ... it's crazy to look at his U-18 numbers ... 0.80GAA and .970 save% over 5 games.

That U-18 tournament was incredible for him, hard to believe he came into it as the backup.

You're right about Fucale, he's already a lock to be the starter. But it would be nice to see Desro at least considered. Guess we'll see if he's on their radar come summer camp.

On a side note, I wonder if Nill & scouts had Desrosiers above or below Fucale, I think as fans we look at it and think the answer is obvious, which would be Fucale. But at the same time if someone said Elie would be a 2nd round pick before the draft he would be persecuted on parts of these boards.

Horsehead

Dec 30, 2013
Lake Ray Hubbard
Stars-goalie-prospect-desrosiers

Looks like the future is looking good!

These are interesting times for the Dallas Stars when it comes to goalies in their organization.

Kari Lehtonen is off in Sochi, representing Finland as a member of that nation’s men’s hockey team. And puck-stopping prospect Philippe Desrosiers, drafted by Dallas in the second round, 54th overall, in last June’s NHL Draft, has just set the new shutout record in the QMJHL.

Playing for the Rimouski Oceanic, Desrosiers made 31 saves for the shutout against the Victoriaville Tigres on Monday, and has not allowed a goal now in 213 minutes and 15 seconds. That beats out the old record of 212:10, set by Francois Brassard of the Quebec Remparts in November, according to TSN.

Desrosiers, 18, is in his second full season with the Oceanic.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's over ... 10:20 into the 2nd period, Philippe Desrosiers allowed a goal.

His shutout record stands at 243 minutes and 55 seconds.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Detroit pulled in Alan Quine for 2011-12 as a 19 year old. Did the same thing with Landon Ferraro and Willie Coetzee in 2009-10.

Cole Ully is obviously in the same boat as Elie playing for a cellar dweller.

Texas could have two 19 year old players hanging around in practice.

ryan sproul played couple of games last year. ouellet also practiced with the team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
ryan sproul played couple of games last year. ouellet also practiced with the team.

For that conversation those guys actually didn't apply only because I was talking specifically about guys 1 year removed from their draft. Both those guys were 2011 picks joining the AHL team at the conclusion of the 2013 season which is pretty common of all teams.

The only reason for the distinction is in the past at least until last season with Faksa, Dallas had not brought in junior guys one year removed from the draft to play for their AHL affiliate and there were opportunities.

I thought I remembered Detroit doing it, and obviously Nill was the GM for Grand Rapids. I figure there's a good shot that it could happen more frequently now. Specifically, Elie and Ully both 2013 picks will be done in just a few weeks with nothing to do but start training. I doubt they touch the ice in Texas outside of maybe a handful of meaningless games late in the season before the playoffs, but it'd be damn good to get their training started off on the right foot with Texas' strength and conditioning guys.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jason Dickinson went off again tonight. 2 goals and 2 assists in a 6-3 win over Owen Sound.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They finally posted the damn video. I saw an interview where Max Domi was talking about a sweet goal scored by Gemel Smith. It starts on the 1:29 mark of the video. He scored another nice goal earlier ... I think it was around 30 seconds in. It was a 2 goal and 1 assist night back on 2/17 against Oshawa.

Link

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is it safe to say Dickinson is our #1 prospect at this point? Top 3 for sure, right?

If you eliminate likely graduations (Nichushkin, Dillon, Chiasson) from Farkas' list this fall, we're left with:

1. Jack Campbell
2. Brett Ritchie
3. Jamie Oleksiak
4. Alex Guptill
5. Jason Dickinson
6. Devin Shore
7. Radek Faksa
8. Patrik Nemeth
9. Matej Stransky
10. Kevin Connauton
11. Philippe Desrosiers
12. Emil Molin
13. Jyrki Jokipakka
14. John Klingberg
15. Ludwig Bystrom
16. Mike Winther
17. Scott Glennie

The Spring Top 20's are already coming out so we should have Farkas' projection pretty soon.

I would say though that Campbell, Ritchie, and Oleksiak haven't done anything really to lose ground. I don't think an injury season is a knock on him. He's not been injury prone, and Campbell was great when he's played. He could easily salvage this season still. Ritchie has been down right dominant lately. I think Oleksiak has been working through some growing pains trying to be the number 1. He had guys like Dillon ahead of him most of last year in Texas, and now he's essentially the guy. He's only 21 years old and he still looks extremely talented.

You could make arguments that Dickinson belongs in their tier, and maybe he is or isn't ahead of them on the rankings. The only important thing to me though is he certainly belongs in the conversation with these players ... just like Devin Shore does.

I would say Shore and Dickinson have clearly passed Guptil and cemented themselves in this top tier of talent for Dallas.

If Desrosiers has a good run in the playoffs this year and continues his play from the February, he could be in that upper echelon as well.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
In the HF voted list Dickinson was already several spots ahead of Guptill going into the season. If I was making a personal list he would've been ahead of Campbell as well. I'd rank the top 3 as Ritchie, Oleksiak, Dickinson at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad