Aug 5, 2012
moulson-spezza-stewart
mac-turris-conacher
hoffman-zibanejad-ryan
greening-smith-neil

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
Make a trade already Murray, our current roster isn't playoff material

This team isn't playoff material even with a trade. What makes you think a trade will change anything?

This team has to many holes... Are not consistent and lack leadership. At least 2-3 years away from competing with the Boston's, Pittsburgh... Oh even Toronto.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
So you want to sell the farm to get supporting players for Spezza that will probably not even gel with the captain*

*see bobby ryan

Well, we need two top six wingers... so the solution always looks like finding wingers for Jason Spezza.

I guess we could always trade Spezza for two wingers, and then go looking for a center! :yo:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So you want to sell the farm to get supporting players for Spezza that will probably not even gel with the captain*

*see bobby ryan

Not sure how people can say they didn't gel after the first 4 games of the season, especially when everyone was bad. 4 games is not a big enough sample size.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Well, we need two top six wingers... so the solution always looks like finding wingers for Jason Spezza.

I guess we could always trade Spezza for two wingers, and then go looking for a center! :yo:

At this point if we can find 2 top 6 wingers and a centre that isn't terrible at even strength I'd be perfectly fine with Turris as 1C and Zibanejad as 2C.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa

The Turris line is good enough to play first line minutes. If BM trades Spezza for a winger... We have other centres to pick up the 2nd and 3rd lines in zibby and smith.

Not that Spezza would get traded this march... since he has more value in the summer...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

*see bobby ryan

To be fair, Ryan has played under 100 mins with Spezza (roughly 7 games worth) so while they have yet to gel, it's also not like they have really been given a long look together. Regin, Butler, and Greening all got significantly longer looks. Christ, we gave him more time than that with Randy Robitaille in 07/08.

Ryan looked really good on the Turris line, so there was no reason to move him back onto Spezza's line. Now that he's been bumped off that line, we may see the two tried together again.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It was stressed that they roll four lines. I wasn't really putting Smith's line ahead of Zibby's any more than I just happened to type it out first. Zibby's would probably be "third" but I would expect Smith's line to get about even ice time, or at least more than a typical fourth.

Secondly, have you never payed attention to Condra and Greening playing together? They're both amazingly more effective on the same line. It's honestly night and day.

And I'm confident my suggested line works better for Smith's "offensive abilities" than having Neil there. Not because Condra's better offensively (lol) but because he and Greening have ridiculous chemistry, they run an amazing forecheck that always results in turnovers and sustained offensive pressure.

It was true with Pageau in last season's playoffs (see PIT series), and it was true every time they happened to play together this year with Smith.

I am one of the lucky Senators season ticket holders, so I have seen Condra and Greening play together.

Now while they may play their best games when with Smith in a defensive role, neither of them provide a serious threat offensively and Condra just lacks any physical game.

Condra (21 hits) just doesn't fit on a line with Greening (187 hits) and Smith (142 hits) from a physical presence perspective.

I am not disagreeing they are pesky on the forecheck and play reasonably well defensively, they simply don't produce anything from their work in the O-Zone.

If a Greening-Smith-Condra line is going to get equivalent, or close to, ice time as the third line then they have to produce something or it is detrimental to the team.

Therefore I would look for a replacement RW for Smith, a guy that is physical and mobile, defensively solid but goes to the net on offence and just doesn't dump and cycle on the wall.

Robinson might be an interesting add to that line on the right side., though he is probably not ready.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I am one of the lucky Senators season ticket holders, so I have seen Condra and Greening play together.

Now while they may play their best games when with Smith in a defensive role, neither of them provide a serious threat offensively and Condra just lacks any physical game.

Condra (21 hits) just doesn't fit on a line with Greening (187 hits) and Smith (142 hits) from a physical presence perspective.

I am not disagreeing they are pesky on the forecheck and play reasonably well defensively, they simply don't produce anything from their work in the O-Zone.

If a Greening-Smith-Condra line is going to get equivalent, or close to, ice time as the third line then they have to produce something or it is detrimental to the team.

Therefore I would look for a replacement RW for Smith, a guy that is physical and mobile, defensively solid but goes to the net on offence and just doesn't dump and cycle on the wall.

Robinson might be an interesting add to that line on the right side., though he is probably not ready.

Who is expecting offence from a line with Condra and Greening?

Good solid defence is not detrimental to the team.

I would like to see

MacArthur-Turris-Michalek
Hoffman-Spezza-Ryan
Greening-Zibanejad-Condra
Conacher-Smith-Neil

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
according to BM, hemmer will be with spetzel, so...

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Michalek - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Smith - Neil
Extras: Condra/Kassian

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Puempel-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Prince-Zibanejad-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Neil

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Thanks! I'm excited for you guys with Hemmer now there, hope he can serve you guys some good.. He's a better player than most make him out to be.

It might actually be Anderson now according to our gdt that was just posted. :laugh:

Anyways, thanks for the kind words.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks! I'm excited for you guys with Hemmer now there, hope he can serve you guys some good.. He's a better player than most make him out to be.

Thanks man! We're glad to have him and I think he'll fit in very nicely alongside Spezza with some big minutes for the first time in years. Sorry for the lousy picks.

We'll treat him good for you ;)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm guessing BM revisits dealing for Chris Stewart at the draft or this summer with TM. (Wiercioch, Condra & a pick or prospect for Stewart). If Michalek doesn't re-sign I assume Hoffman will replace him & if they can't fill that spot internally BM will trade for a 3rd liner.

Hemsky - Spezza - Stewart
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad