Line Combos: 2013-14 Line Combos Thread

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
These are the lines I am convinced will work best for us. Makes the most of players' chemistry and give us the ability to roll all four for that very reason, instead of this season's trend of just throwing s*** against the wall and seeing what sticks.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Spezza - Michalek
Greening - Smith - Condra
Conacher - Zibanejad - Neil

Greening & Condra have major chemistry, from last season's playoffs with Pageau to the handful of games they played together with Smith this year.

Conacher plays best with Zibby, Zibby plays best at C, and having Neil there just makes it a tougher energy line, one that could potentially net a few points.

I like this, I like this quite a bit.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
These are the lines I am convinced will work best for us. Makes the most of players' chemistry and give us the ability to roll all four for that very reason, instead of this season's trend of just throwing s*** against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Hoffman - Spezza - Michalek
Greening - Smith - Condra
Conacher - Zibanejad - Neil

Greening & Condra have major chemistry, from last season's playoffs with Pageau to the handful of games they played together with Smith this year.

Conacher plays best with Zibby, Zibby plays best at C, and having Neil there just makes it a tougher energy line, one that could potentially net a few points.

Sorry but I strongly disagree.

Mac-Turris-Conacher
Hoff-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Stone
??????-Smith-??????

Greening and Condra are blackholes offensively so putting them on the same line just makes the team weaker and doesn't take advantage of what Smith offers in offensive ability.

IMO the Sens aren't making the playoffs so hopefully Murray creates some space by finding new homes for 2 or 3 of the bottom forwards and recalls two of Robinson, Schneider, Puempel, Grant, Price or Cowick.

WhiteLight*

Mac-Turris-Conacher
Hoff-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Stone
??????-Smith-??????

Greening and Condra are blackholes offensively so putting them on the same line just makes the team weaker and doesn't take advantage of what Smith offers in offensive ability.

IMO the Sens aren't making the playoffs so hopefully Murray creates some space by finding new homes for 2 or 3 of the bottom forwards and recalls two of Robinson, Schneider, Puempel, Grant, Price or Cowick.

Greening and Condra always play amazingly together. For some reason they are never better offensively than when they play with each other. Greening (even though I want him moved), Smith and Condra is a ridiculously badass 4th line.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Greening and Condra always play amazingly together. For some reason they are never better offensively than when they play with each other. Greening (even though I want him moved), Smith and Condra is a ridiculously badass 4th line.

I agree...which is why I want to move Neil so they can be our fourth line....

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Mac-Turris-Conacher
Hoff-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Spezza-Stone
??????-Smith-??????

LOVE THIS !! Hoff-Zibby-Ryan was the best line by far last night. Stone and Spezza works, and Mac-Turris-Conacher has been proven to work. Greening and Condra are forth line guys that continue to be put in situations that are just not capable of. Hoffmans performance last night was by far the best single game by a call up so far this year (Pageau, Stone, Grant ect), while just one game he showed what he is capable of. Let Stone and Conacher show what they have as well and we maybe we are on to something. :handclap:

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly there's just too much dead weight on this team to make decent lineups.

If they put together a few good lines and a good D-pairing, they play well while the leftover lines get smoked.

If they spread the talent out, the bad players drag the good players down and they get smoked.

The problem here isn't the lines, it's that half the players on this team are not good enough.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
At this point I think there is a lot of dead weight on this team.

1. Michalek - Not producing enough for the minutes he plays.
2. Greening - Same dealio, he's a 4th line scrub at best right now.
3. Cowen - Just flat out playing poorly, 3rd pairing protected minutes or press box.
4. Gryba - Just not an NHL regular. He's the 7th D and even then only on bad teams.
5. Phillips - His game basically has nothing left except as an occasional 7th D.

How do we fix this? Trade/let walk most of them. Insulate Cowen and try to develop him. People forget he's coming off a full year of no hockey. He should eventually be decent. It's just going to take a lot of patience. We've set him up to fail this year and that is our own fault as an organization. Frankly, he may never turn out, you win some you lose some. He's still worth the time to find out, however long it takes.

Ideal Lineup at Present:
MacArthur-Turris-Pageau
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Conacher-Spezza-Stone
Michalek-Smith-Condra

Karlsson-Methot
Wiercioch+Acquisition
Phillips-Ceci

Realistically we need two more veteran T4D to be a much better team. Then I suppose you pop prospects in and out until you see who fits. The list is endless. Gotta give them a shot to stick in the NHL at some point.

Another Option for the Forwards:
MacArthur-Turris-Zibanejad
Conacher-Spezza-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Stone
Condra-Smith-Michalek

Flip stone & Ryan as need be. Realistically P-Mac never gave Ryan & Spezza a chance to develop any chemistry. They've barely played together. Play the lines like this and watch it happen. Big benefit of this second option is that we have a full line from Bingo intact and we get Michalek down to where he should be if he's not dealt at the deadline.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
You like that Zibanejad is the fourth line center???? :shakehead

It was stressed that they roll four lines. I wasn't really putting Smith's line ahead of Zibby's any more than I just happened to type it out first. Zibby's would probably be "third" but I would expect Smith's line to get about even ice time, or at least more than a typical fourth.

Secondly, have you never payed attention to Condra and Greening playing together? They're both amazingly more effective on the same line. It's honestly night and day.

And I'm confident my suggested line works better for Smith's "offensive abilities" than having Neil there. Not because Condra's better offensively (lol) but because he and Greening have ridiculous chemistry, they run an amazing forecheck that always results in turnovers and sustained offensive pressure.

It was true with Pageau in last season's playoffs (see PIT series), and it was true every time they happened to play together this year with Smith.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
MacArthur-Turris-Hoffman
Conacher-Zibanejad-Ryan
Grant-Spezza-Stone
Puempel-Smith-Condra

Methot-EK
Boro-Ceci
Claeson-Wiercioch

Where is?
Cowen - traded: this morning I gave up on him, ask me again tomorrow
Michalek - traded: UFA
Phillips - traded: UFA
Greening - traded: contract too big for what he offers as filler - dime a dozen in this league, and much cheaper available (his name is Grant, and he plays for Bingo)
Neil - traded: useful declining tough guy on a good team... which we are not
Pageau - traded: have to keep only one small guy - don't care if it is Pageau or Conacher... today it is Conacher (personally prefer Pageau... but whatever)

The prospects need to jump now IMO. It is time.

BigBush*

MacArthur-Turris-Hoffman
Conacher-Zibanejad-Ryan
Grant-Spezza-Stone
Puempel-Smith-Condra

Methot-EK
Boro-Ceci
Claeson-Wiercioch

Where is?
Cowen - traded: this morning I gave up on him, ask me again tomorrow
Michalek - traded: UFA
Phillips - traded: UFA
Greening - traded: contract too big for what he offers as filler - dime a dozen in this league, and much cheaper available (his name is Grant, and he plays for Bingo)
Neil - traded: useful declining tough guy on a good team... which we are not
Pageau - traded: have to keep only one small guy - don't care if it is Pageau or Conacher... today it is Conacher (personally prefer Pageau... but whatever)

The prospects need to jump now IMO. It is time.
That could be the worst line up I have ever seen posted.! I like it though as you're clearly thinking Mcdavid

BigBush*

hahaha

It's not designed to win right now - that's for sure!

Do like the idea of seeing what some of the talent in Bingo can do though. It's tough to know if players like Hoffman/Pumpel/Claesson are NHL ready without giving them a look

source

Jul 13, 2008
Do like the idea of seeing what some of the talent in Bingo can do though. It's tough to know if players like Hoffman/Pumpel/Claesson are NHL ready without giving them a look

What if it's determined after 20 games that they all suck?

Do we sign players like Boyd Gordon and Lee Stempniak as placeholders for the 2014-2015 season? Exciting!

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

Do we sign players like Boyd Gordon and Lee Stempniak as placeholders for the 2014-2015 season? Exciting!

Well, they'd be replacing placeholders anyway... not like Greening and co. are anything but that.

BigBush*

Why would you sign those guys?

source

Jul 13, 2008
Well, they'd be replacing placeholders anyway... not like Greening and co. are anything but that.

Greening's comparatively cheap, and I'm not sure cutting him loose on the basis of his performance this season is the way to go.

Why would you sign those guys?

Because Puempel and Grant are likely to end up no better than Jesse Joensuu and Linus Omark.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Give TM whatever he wants for Moulson & Stewart with the exception of any of the players below.

Moulson - Spezza - Stewart
Michalek - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

Anderson - Lehner

PP1: Moulson - Spoezza - Stewart, Methot - Karlsson
PP2: MacArthur - Turris - Ryan, Wiercioch - Ceci

PK1: Smith - Greening, Cowen - Gryba
PK2: Michalek - Zibanejad, Methot - Ceci